Halibut Reels. What's everyone using?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halibut Reels. What's everyone using?

My buddy was whining about fishing for halibut in very deep water (4-500 feet) and said he needed an electric reel next time. I told him about my last trip where we fished at 450' and I had no complaints about the reels. But I don't remember what we used. I was on a Silver Fox boat. Whatever they had, I was impressed with them. My friend is currently using Penn 309's. Yeah, I know. Old school. Time for him to invest in better equipment. But what?
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

we use AVET JX's they are nice maybe a little light if your haulilng up 4 pounds of lead from 450 feet. I do have 1 two speed avet that works alot nicer for that. Most of our fishing is in 120' or less though.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200512_092426.jpg
Views:	728
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	2755697
      I just bought this. Carpal tunnel and an existing torn tendon..... I bought one. Haven't tried it yet though.

There is plenty of information on the internet about the reel. Lots of good reviews. Just make sure that you have an operation manual. You can find it online but it is like 48 pages to print out. Mine did not come with one or a CD. I would think there'd be one in every box but not so. The other thing I found is that there are many of these with Japanese instructions and the display is in Japanese.

It seems quality made, not too big for an electric. I also bought a cable so that I can splice the existing power cord into one of my downrigger outlets. It comes with battery clips if your battery is accesable. I am going to try to make the downrigger/battery connections interchangable.For the depths you are looking at I think 50# test is going be line to use. Heavier and I don't remember if it has the capacity.

Patriot Life Member NRA
      Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
      Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

I bought a couple Avet JXís for this year. We have been very happy with them so far. We havenít brought anything up over 50#. Before that we were using MX 6/4 2 speed and like them too. I would by a JX over the 2 speed if I had to choose at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Avet JX's here too. Typically fish 150 to 300 feet. Great reels. Have brought up several fish over 100# no problem. They are especially easy to take apart and maintain as well.

Comment

Fin Nor Offshore Spinning reel gets the most use followed by Penn spinning reels. I like to be the first one down! I tend to drift fish more than 400' so there is no substitute. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0863.jpg
Views:	615
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	2755773
            sigpic

Heavy Hitter Fishing
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Comment

While Avet makes a very good product (I own several) Penn has a very nice and budget friendly line of 2-speed, lever drag reels. Penn Fathom Lever Drag 2 speed. Great reels for the price. Folks down south are using them on big Bluefin Tuna. Choose size based on your intended fishing depth and current. The smallest reel in the line still puts out 20 lbs. of drag. And Amazon occasionally has them at less than $200.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishrock View Post
                While Avet makes a very good product (I own several) Penn has a very nice and budget friendly line of 2-speed, lever drag reels. Penn Fathom Lever Drag 2 speed. Great reels for the price. Folks down south are using them on big Bluefin Tuna. Choose size based on your intended fishing depth and current. The smallest reel in the line still puts out 20 lbs. of drag. And Amazon occasionally has them at less than $200.
                I have a Penn International 2 speed. I need to get it out on the salt water.
                Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

I have an Avet LX 6.0 that I really like. But also run a Shimano Tekota 800 that I have no complaints with. Both very nice reels.

Comment

Have been using the Shimano Tekota 700's this year and love them
                    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Comment

Another vote for the Shimano Tekota 700s. Very smooth and more than enough reel for the big guys.

Comment

Most conventional reels will work. I like having two speeds for clients that might struggle with big fish. The Shimano Tekota 700 and 800 are good but the Shimano Tyronos II is a similar reel in two speeds. Here is an article on the best conventional fishing reels. Number 17 is the Tyronos II. A Penn Fathom Lever Drag reel is anther good reasonably priced option.
                        Conventional trolling reels hold lots of fishing line, have strong drags, and are able to catch large fish. When I think of conventional reels, the first reel that comes to mind is a Penn International 80 which is a big game offshore fishing reel. This 80 class reel can catch the biggest fish in the ... Read more

Comment

Mcraft reels!
                          Living the Alaskan Dream
                          Gary Keller
                          Anchorage, AK

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X