No announcement yet.

Using Gulp! for sliver and halibut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was able to fish out of Seward last summer and used the Gulp Pogy's. Phenomenal fishing with them. I couldn't believe it! I'm looking forward to trying them for other salmon out of Homer or Ninilchik this season. I can't remember if they were 3 or 4 inch so I'll stock up on both. Sure beats messing around with herring.

Comment

Akcapt

Thank you for the information, I am considering using the gulp for silvers anyway, and maybe for halibut. I have a few questions though. In the picture you have the King hooked with the blue and white gulp? pogy swimbait. I was wondering the best way to hook them. The sharp part of the hook is below the swimbait, but usually I hook them with the sharp part coming out the top. Also do you use the banana weights for mooching just like pieces of herring?
      I usually troll for silvers with 3 or 4 rods, have you used them for trolling? (do they stay inline or do they tend to pull down from the hook like worn rubber worms often do when bass fishing?).
      Also where is the best place to get these as far as prices?
      Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Comment

Squid

On the Squid any color .

Comment

Originally posted by wildog View Post
          Thank you for the information, I am considering using the gulp for silvers anyway, and maybe for halibut. I have a few questions though. In the picture you have the King hooked with the blue and white gulp? pogy swimbait. I was wondering the best way to hook them. The sharp part of the hook is below the swimbait, but usually I hook them with the sharp part coming out the top. Also do you use the banana weights for mooching just like pieces of herring?
          I usually troll for silvers with 3 or 4 rods, have you used them for trolling? (do they stay inline or do they tend to pull down from the hook like worn rubber worms often do when bass fishing?).
          Also where is the best place to get these as far as prices?
          I like to run the hook through the nose and out the belly. It works like a rudder to keep the swim bait....Swimming. They don't really pull down they are kind of hard. We do use banana weights and a single sharp hook like Owner or Gamakatsu.

We have used them trolling. I will post the details of the trolling gear we caught them on this weekend when I have time to take a few photos.

As far as prices, I think B&J is as good a bet as any. At least you will be supporting a local tackle shop that knows fishing in Alaska.
          www.graylightalaska.com
          http://www.saltwatersportsman.com/ga...arter-captains
          (800)566-3912

Comment

Akcapt

Akcapt - How would you rig a gulp bait for surf casting?
            It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

2nd that for B&J AKCAPT, support the local stores before you head to the national chains!

Comment

Swim Baits

Rubber Swim baits are very popular among albacore tuna, and bass fisherman. They come in all kinds of colors, and have great action that simulates bait fish. I like to cast them on a 1 - 3 oz lead head jig. This year I am going to try fishing swim baits from a boat while fishing for silvers in Valdez. Also try trolling them, or drop one back after a hook up. Add a little artificial scent like Smelly Jelly and your in business.

Comment

hmm, dont quote me here but I had thought someone brought this to fish and game and the troopers in the interior awhile back and asked this very question...is it bait or is it not. And being it was a soft plastic they said no even though it had scent built into it, vs a liquid or gel being applied to the outer surface. I'll have to dig into this one again and find out.

I do know this, if you fish soft plastics, I'd say 75% if not more on the market these days are scented in one way or another, be it salt or oils applied at the factory, something to ponder.

Comment

Not Plastic

I think the issue is that Gulp! is not a soft plastic. It is a biodgradable swim bait. It really is more like bait than a lure. It will dry up in the sun and it will disolve in a bucket of water in a couple of days. It will also stink like rotten bait if one ends up somewhere it is warm and wet....
                    www.graylightalaska.com
                    http://www.saltwatersportsman.com/ga...arter-captains
                    (800)566-3912

Comment

Where do you guys purchase the Gulp 6" in the herring scent? I have seen up to 4" but not in herring.

Comment

Originally posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
                        Where do you guys purchase the Gulp 6" in the herring scent? I have seen up to 4" but not in herring.
                        You can buy direct from berkley. Cut bait up to 11 1/2"

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/cat.php?k=75115&sk=75077
                        sigpic
                        www.arcticangler.ca
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy_7mPiqoqw&t=11s

Comment

Alaskan Fly Guy

I was in Anchorage last weekend and stopped at B&J. They had lots of different sizes in stock and were stocking more for the spring season, it looked like. They had pogys, squids, strips, etc. There were about 10 people stocking the place for people like us.....................

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/Berkley-Gulp-Sal...742.m153.l1262

Is this what you're talking about?
                            There are so many names to fishing gear/lures/rods/reels I never know what anybody is talking about anymore.

A few years ago someone on a fishing pier said "get an ugly stick". So I bought the $29 dollar one and broke 2 days later.

I wanted to know if this is what you're talking about, or if there's another scent or color or model or etc.

Thanks
                            Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Comment

Ebay is the cheapest place that I have found to buy gulp..
                              Living the Alaskan Dream
                              Gary Keller
                              Anchorage, AK

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Gray View Post
                                Ebay is the cheapest place that I have found to buy gulp..
                                Is that link that I sent the right stuff or is there another 'scent' I should get?
                                Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X