Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jim Creek update?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Jim Creek update?

    getting ready to hit jim creek this weekend....curious what anyone has to say about the run of fish and the run of people down there? fish running all day, or only after the tides? upstream or down at the hole? any help would be great, enjoy the mogules down there!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

  • #2
    Tides.......

    You dont have to pay attention to the tides. Tide water doesnt reach Jim Creek and there are usually a steady stream of fishing around the mouth anyways. I know a guy who lives on Knik. He hits Jim Creek just about every night. He said there might be one fish caught every half our between 30 people. Thats too slow for me to justify going up there. I can walk down to Eagle River and catch nothing too! :-)
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      Jim Creek-Last Sunday

      Was up there farting around for about 3 hours last sunday, until about 11pm, and they were definately catching fish at the "first hole" by the woods. Not hot, but probably one every 15' or so between 15-20 people. Nothing to speak of upstream at the main channel-where I was mostly, of course-so I'd say it's building.

      My problem was that I threw in my king set-up without switching to lighter line/lures and in that shallow water didn't have the sensitivity to pick em' up. I should know better............. Going to try on this weekends AM tides, although as mentioned, it usually doesn't make that much difference up there. Figure go with the first light opportunity all things being equal.

      Comment


      • #4
        Tides....

        I think its a big misconeption. This is not Ship Creek, Bird Creek, or even the mouth of the Knik. Jim Creek is a good 10-12 miles upstream from any kind of tide water. I have lost count on how many people who lecture me on the Jim Creek tides, even my father, who has been fishing Jim Creek since the 70's still tries to inform me about Jim Creek and how the tide effects water levels and fishing. He's kind of crazy though. I do not believe an ounce of it. The fish headed towards Jim Creek, from mid July until September, are always trickling no matter if the tides high, low, slack, half way, mid way, quarter of the way up.....well you get the point. Now, some of my secret spots are effected by tide, but not even my wife can pry those holes from me. :-)

        Hey, but, it is a great way to leave the house and and get out before the naggy wife gets out of bed.
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Water_Gremlin
          I think its a big misconeption. This is not Ship Creek, Bird Creek, or even the mouth of the Knik. Jim Creek is a good 10-12 miles upstream from any kind of tide water. I have lost count on how many people who lecture me on the Jim Creek tides, even my father, who has been fishing Jim Creek since the 70's still tries to inform me about Jim Creek and how the tide effects water levels and fishing. He's kind of crazy though. I do not believe an ounce of it. The fish headed towards Jim Creek, from mid July until September, are always trickling no matter if the tides high, low, slack, half way, mid way, quarter of the way up.....well you get the point. Now, some of my secret spots are effected by tide, but not even my wife can pry those holes from me. :-)

          Hey, but, it is a great way to leave the house and and get out before the naggy wife gets out of bed.
          GIVE ME ALL YOUR SECRET HOLES OR I WILL FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO YOUR WIFE...
          Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

          Comment


          • #6
            ^^^

            Thats funny! Coersion is a great approach!

            )
            AKmud
            sigpic


            The porcupine is a peaceful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

            Comment


            • #7
              Is there a boat launch at Jims Creek? I hear it is real popular with the airboat crowd.

              Comment


              • #8
                You Will Have To See It To Believe It

                Originally posted by SockeyOrange
                Is there a boat launch at Jims Creek? I hear it is real popular with the airboat crowd.
                NO "BOAT RAMP"
                PICTURE THIS:
                150 PEOPLE TROMPING IN, THROUGH SCHOOLS OF FISH THROWING EVERTHING AT THEM, AIR BOATS SCREAMING THROUGH, PEOPLE DIVING OUT OF THE WAY, A MAKESHIFT GUNRANGE 1/8 MILE AWAY, SO CONSTANT MACHINE GUN, HANDGUN, RIFLE FIRE VERY VERY NEAR, STRAY BULLETS ARE VERY COMMON, LOTS OF ALCOHOL, 4-WHEELERS SCREAMING EVERYWHERE, PEOPLE CAMPED EVERYWHERE, BURNED OUT CARS LAYING HERE AND THERE THAT GET HOOKED UP AND DRUG BY 4 WHEEL DRIVE TRUCKS ON OCCASION JUST FOR FUN, TRUCKS AND 4-WHEELERS CROSSING THE CREEK AND GETTING STUCK ON A FAIRLY REGULAR BASIS. OTHER THAN THOSE THINGS IT A BEAUTIFUL PLACE WITH FISH...
                Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by wildog
                  GIVE ME ALL YOUR SECRET HOLES OR I WILL FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO YOUR WIFE...

                  BAH! THAT DONT SCARE ME. I TUNED HER VOICE OUT AWHILE BACK....

                  There is a boat launch up on Maud Rd on the back side of Jim Lake.
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by wildog
                    NO "BOAT RAMP"
                    PICTURE THIS:
                    150 PEOPLE TROMPING IN, THROUGH SCHOOLS OF FISH THROWING EVERTHING AT THEM, AIR BOATS SCREAMING THROUGH, PEOPLE DIVING OUT OF THE WAY, A MAKESHIFT GUNRANGE 1/8 MILE AWAY, SO CONSTANT MACHINE GUN, HANDGUN, RIFLE FIRE VERY VERY NEAR, STRAY BULLETS ARE VERY COMMON, LOTS OF ALCOHOL, 4-WHEELERS SCREAMING EVERYWHERE, PEOPLE CAMPED EVERYWHERE, BURNED OUT CARS LAYING HERE AND THERE THAT GET HOOKED UP AND DRUG BY 4 WHEEL DRIVE TRUCKS ON OCCASION JUST FOR FUN, TRUCKS AND 4-WHEELERS CROSSING THE CREEK AND GETTING STUCK ON A FAIRLY REGULAR BASIS. OTHER THAN THOSE THINGS IT A BEAUTIFUL PLACE WITH FISH...

                    Exactly...I used to be a part of that, I would never want to fish there or boat on that river. It's all fun, until you get hit by a stray bullet.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Morons......

                      I have had a few bullets come my way and more confrontations than I care to admit. I was nearly shot by a 22lr one day while I was fishing with the wife 2 years ago. That confrontation was very nasty and could have ended lethal. Some of the people I see out on Knik are some of the most inconsiderate careless idiotic morons I have ever seen, and I have worked in RETAIL!! On the other hand I have made some timeless friendships in the Knik River basin.

                      I have been riding, fishing, and hunting the Knik area for just over 20 years now. The area has changed for the worse within the past 10 years or so. I remember when there was one road that ended right at the last bend in Jim Creek before the mouth. The road was so nasty we used to come-along our late model 80's landcruiser while towing a sea nymph with a 15 horse mariner most of the way to Jim Creek to go fishing. In those days Jim Creek offerered some massive silvers with very little traffic. Unforunately Knik has a wild west lawless type atmosphere these days, which is very sad.

                      Now adays Jim Creek is my saving grace. Most of the morons are confined to Jim Creek's shooting range side. It can get tricky while crossing Jim Creek. I have seen plenty of machines and trucks swamped in Jim Creeks silty bottom, including myself. If I could control Jim Creek I would have a 5' deep channel from one bank to the other. Then it would keep ALL the morons on one side or swamped in the middle. A bridge acrost the creek would be my worst nightmare, but even if there was a bridge it would be burned to the silt within weeks.

                      Even with the cons I still visit the area quite frequently. Once you ride past Jim Creek the whole vibe changes. There isnt as much trash and less gun toting trigger happy maniacs. I love Knik and it will take a lot more to keep me away.
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      Footer Adsense

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X