Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

overnight halibut trip from homer

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • overnight halibut trip from homer

    has anybody fished a over night trip if so what did u think of it also if u have any tips on catching larger fish i would love some imfo if you are willing 2 share it has any one used uv spreaders or sents or flashing squid or glow sticks and are they ok 2 use thank u for youre replies

  • #2
    overnight

    I have done this trip for the last five years with a church group. If you are looking for meat for the freezer then this is the trip for you. If you are looking for "trophy" size halibut, then you might want to look for a day trip. The new boat that ACM has is great, bunks to sleep in and lots of room to move around. bring along a spinning rod and jig some silvers once you have your butts on board.
    Adison
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice, remember life is expensive and ammo is cheep!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Adison
      If you are looking for meat for the freezer then this is the trip for you. If you are looking for "trophy" size halibut, then you might want to look for a day trip.
      Adison
      Adison, please explain this comment. Won't you catch big fish too if you go overnight? I have 2 over night trips and a day trip booked w/ ACM in August. I really want to know how the action is overnight w/ the double limit of halibut during the midnight sun halibut run.

      BTW does anyone else besides ACM do the overnight trip for the double limit?

      Comment


      • #4
        I did it this year. Nothing big 40#'ers but had a blast. There was one other boat there that we did not see until we started heading back to the dock
        Living the Alaskan Dream
        Gary Keller
        Anchorage, AK

        Comment


        • #5
          Meat in the freezer.

          Originally posted by flounder
          Adison, please explain this comment. Won't you catch big fish too if you go overnight? I have 2 over night trips and a day trip booked w/ ACM in August. I really want to know how the action is overnight w/ the double limit of halibut during the midnight sun halibut run.

          BTW does anyone else besides ACM do the overnight trip for the double limit?

          Companies that do "meat in the freezer" runs book their boats full, and find chicken holes to get everyone their limit. You may get into bigger fish, but more than likely you will limit out on smaller fish. I brought up probably 35 fish and took home my limit of 4 with ACM. I thik I might have brought home 40lbs of fish...maybe.
          When all else fails...ask your old-man.


          AKArcher

          Comment


          • #6
            ACM

            Who is ACM?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ARTSBEST
              Who is ACM?
              Alaska Coastal Marine

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by AKArcher
                Companies that do "meat in the freezer" runs book their boats full, and find chicken holes to get everyone their limit. You may get into bigger fish, but more than likely you will limit out on smaller fish. I brought up probably 35 fish and took home my limit of 4 with ACM. I thik I might have brought home 40lbs of fish...maybe.
                40 lbs!!! That's all??? I'm thinking that if you limit out on 4 halibut and just got 40 pounds of filets out of them and each halibut is about 50% meat then that means you caught 4 twenty pound chickens. Is this right?

                That's not alot for an overnight trip. Makes me want to reconsider going overnight.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Flounder...

                  Sending you a PM. Yes 4 fish and 40lb's.
                  When all else fails...ask your old-man.


                  AKArcher

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    overnight

                    had fun catching lots of small fish only fished 2 lbs weight caught 44 lbs after they were cut and baged the bigest fish was about 30 lbs

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ripndrag
                      had fun catching lots of small fish only fished 2 lbs weight caught 44 lbs after they were cut and baged the bigest fish was about 30 lbs
                      When did you go? Did you go w/ ACM? How many ppl on the boat for the overnight trip?

                      I'm still planning to go in August.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        We just got back from our alaska trip. Included was an overnight out of home with North Country. We were tossing back 30-50 lb Halibut all day and ended up the first day with a limit between 50-80lb. The second day we didn't have as much time to fish, so ended up keeping a number of smaller fish, although we did pick up a 134lb butt as our second to last fish. Overall our average size for the two days was probably around 60 lbs judging by the amount of meat we ended up with.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Sounds like you had a great time.
                          Living the Alaskan Dream
                          Gary Keller
                          Anchorage, AK

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            went with acm july 17/18 there were 35 pepole onboard they fish 17 rods at a time wich they dont tell you up front but its still a good deal in all

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              yes, we had a great time.

                              It was a small boat with 4 of us. Absolute blast. We are already trying to figure out a way to convince the wives we need to go again.

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X