Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PatMarlin View Post
    Hello all,

My friend wants me to come up and visit and bring my boat. We live in a remote area of N. California mountains and I had been fishing salmon out of Shelter Cove, ca. Well they stopped our salmon fishing and I've been seriously unhappy about it,.

He lives in Sterling, close to Kenai.

I've got a circa 1968 SkipJack-20 cuddy, which is an offshore I/0, very seaworthy great old boat. Heavy, hand laid fiberglass hull. All up dated and setup with safety gear, epirb, immersion suits, all electronics short of radar. Serious bilge system with alarm, eventhough it doesn't leak a drop, and I have yet to take on any water in some pretty heavy duty rough seas. Very towable, and launchable.

Thinking about moving it up there. What would a craft such as mine be suited or not suited for in AK?

Kindest regards,

Pat
    Sounds like a suitable boat. As I've said many times, in boating the capabilities of the captain are much more important than the capabilities of the boat. So long as you understand the limitations of the boat, and don't put yourself in bad situations, you'll be fine.

To me the reason I recomend against folks using smaller craft in the saltwater is two-fold. There certainly will be those perfect days when you can take a small skiff out safely. The problem is, those days don't often co-incide with the time you'll be able to go boating. And then the boater is faced with that dilemna, I put all the effort into getting everything ready for this trip, and it doesn't look that bad, so they put out, and then the conditions get worse and they have no place to hide out, or think they can get back to the dock vs. holing up.

So I'd say if the boat can't handle 4' chop safely, it is a poor choice for the weekend boater. No-one goes out in such conditions, but you often find yourself in those conditions eventually.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
    Working...
    X