inexpensive fish shipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inexpensive fish shipping

Anyone know what the least expensive fish shipping outfit is in the Kenai, Soldotna, Sterling, Homer area?
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

2nd day air fed ex or ups, or overnight usps. Aint none of it cheap. Expect to pay dang near what the fish would cost in the lower 48 by the time you are done.

Comment

INEXPENSIVE and FISH SHIPPING have no place in the same sentence.

Even the guys who work for FedEx with their 75% discount cringe at what it costs to ship a box of fish south.

Best bet is to bring home no more than what the airlines will allow without a surcharge... else be prepared to pay the price!
      "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
      sigpic
      The KeenEye MD

Comment

With respect sir, you are wrong about FedEX. A very close family member works for FedEx and I know for a fact that they don't get a 75% discount to ship anything anywhere.
        Some friends of ours from the lower 48 were here last year for an extended vacation and had to ship some fish home. They shopped around and found Thompson's Log Gift Shop in Soldotna was the "least expensive" to ship. They ship FedEx, check them out for current pricing.

Comment

I would recommend you have the fish frozen up here and just pay to have an extra piece of check in luggage on your flight home. Just keep the weight below 50 pounds if possible but absolutely do not go higher than 70.
          If the cooler is packed the fish will arrive frozen

Comment

fish shipping

on checked baggage for most airlines, if you go over yourc heck in baggage limit, the airlines will let you add extra items, including frozen fish, keep the boxes at or under 50#, they will charge you $50. for each piece of luggage. My brother comes here each year, pays the $50. for each box over his baggage limit, works out to $1. per pound, can't beat that

Comment

fish shipping

on checked baggage for most airlines, if you go over yourc heck in baggage limit, the airlines will let you add extra items, including frozen fish, keep the boxes at or under 50#, they will charge you $50. for each piece of luggage. My brother comes here each year, pays the $50. for each box over his baggage limit, works out to $1. per pound, can't beat that

Comment

not 50.00$ anymore

its 75.00$ on alaska airlines this year' for going over your baggage limit.
                as long as your 50# or less..

Comment

I live here and wanted to ship some of my already plentiful salmon stock to some folks down south. I don't even have any reds or silvers yet, and my freezer is half-full. I'll also stuff it with some more halibut in a few weeks. I'll check out that Log Gifts place though...thanks.
                  "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Comment

Maybe. . .

Ripface: Call Alaska Airlines and ask about Blue Label shipping. . .

Comment

shipping fish

I have shipped fish by going to the airline cargo dock in years past.
                      This works best if you can find an airline that has a major hub close to the destination. Its been 6 years since I last did this so the pricing has probably changed, but at that time United would ship 100# from Anchorage to Denver for $44. We always had the fish frozen solid in the old waxed fish box and never lost any fish, these boxes level full of fillets are just under 100#. Fish will be kept in their freezer until shipped, generally goes out the same night. Don't bother calling the airlines because you will be told the alot of regulations and restrictions, go in person and check this out.
                      Hope this still works and would like to know what you find out.

Comment

FedEx Discount

Sorry Akcomidogs, you are mistaken. FedEx employees do in fact get a 75% discount. It's called the "Interline Discount" and it applies to employees, spouses, dependants and parents. The discount applies to all services including Express, Ground and Kinko's. In remote delivery areas there can be an extra delivery charge which is not discounted.

Comment

Airlines Work Well

Just spent last week on the Deshka and wanted to bring some fillets back to Maine. Bought a cheapo cooler at Walmart along with duct tape. Filled the cooler with frozen fillets, taped it shut, labeled it like my luggage and brought it back to Maine as one of my checked bags. They asked the usual questions like is there dry ice or regular ice? Then away it went back with me to Maine. Total traveling time from Anchorage to Bangor 15 hours and 30 minutes then I had to drive another four hours to camp. When I opened the cooler almost 20 hours later just the top two fillets were partially thawed the rest were still frozen solid.
                          Total cost $19.95 for a cooler and about $3 for the duct tape. I was able to fit three Kings in the cooler. About 30 lbs or fillets.
                          If you take the woods out of the woodsman you have nothing left but a man in the woods.

Comment

Sorry Wyatt, but the "close family member" is my spouse, who works for FedEx Freight. They get a 50% discount, not 75%, but you are right about the extra charge for out-of-the-way places. Maybe the other branches of the co. get a higher % discount, but not Freight.

Comment

FedEx

Interesting: My girlfriend works for FedEx Express and she gets the 75% discount no matter how she ships. She works in Vancouver, B.C., so maybe discounts are different depending on where you work. Either way, I've found cheaper ways to ship since FedEx usually has outrageous prices. Hope you all have a nice Fourth of July!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X