Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deshka report

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Deshka report

    Fished up river on the Deshka today. Got there around 0530 and fished till 1200. We were up river about 4-5 miles from the mouth. It wasn't hot, but we did manage 4 fish in the boat (2-15# & 2-30#) and lost several others. Drifting and soaking eggs was the ticket. We did catch one on an orange body/silver blade #5 Vibrax though. The river wasn't particularly busy for a saturday during peak king season. Saw several other boats taking fish as well. Cleaned our fish at the tables by the mouth and never saw a fish on down there. Several guides fishing upstream as well. All the fish we kept were bright still so there are still fish worth going after in there!
    AKmud
    sigpic


    The porcupine is a peaceful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

  • #2
    Camping

    AKmud,

    You seem to go to Deshka quite a bit. Where's the best spot to camp. I read something about there being a campground over there, and then something else about having to have a permit to camp outside the campground from Mat-Su borough??? You know anything about this, and know any good spots (to camp) up the river a little ways.

    Headed that way tomorrow, should be there by evening.

    Thanks,

    AK_BigO

    Comment


    • #3
      Deshka camping

      I believe all the "permit" camping is near the mouth. Typical Borough campground style. I think $10 a night for a spot if you can find one that is open. Just pay at the "self pay" envelope station thing. Once you get up river a couple of miles (past where props can go) I think it is all open. There are several good gravel bars that you can get to if you have a jet and the fish seem to be in the moving water at this point. I rarely go above the rock garden but you should be able to find a decent spot between the mouth and there. Since it went to permit type camping, we usually just do day trips anymore. We used to set up a big camp with three or four other families and leave it up all summer (someone was always there usually) but they did away with that. A lot of folks camp along the Big Su also. Bad part is you have to take a boat ride to go fishing then, but the camping is not crowded.

      Good luck fishin!
      AKmud
      sigpic


      The porcupine is a peaceful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

      Comment


      • #4
        Free Camping

        The Mat Su Bor does have title to some lands in the area, they can charge for camping. All gravel bars and grassy flats below high water mark, belong to the State Of Alaska. No camping fees are charged for these areas YET. Sometimes you have to educate the Bor employees of this fact. They have simply been told to go there and collect money. They know little about whose land is whose. Lot of campers have mistakenly paid to camp on State land.
        "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
        ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

        Comment


        • #5
          deshka camping

          Big O
          If you go a few miles up the river you will see camping areas on the banks in most curves. I would go at least 4-5 miles upriver.
          There is a guy who runs up in a small boat w 25hp jet that works for the borough collecting money. Real nice guy & he will give any info if you have questions. It is $5 a night which isn't bad. Sometimes you won't see him ( free on those days ) & so it all works out in the end.
          If you go about 5.5 miles up there is a big curve going to the left. There is a huge beach area here, complete with a port a pot there. Must have been a group of at least 15 camped there this weekend, so if you have a big group this looks like a good spot.
          BTW fished on Sat eve & Sun morning & the only thing we could get to work was soaking eggs under the slip bobber. Watched 8 fish caught this way, so if you can't beat em guess you gotta join em.
          Have fun

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks

            I'll check that spot out.

            Thanks,

            AK_BigO

            Comment


            • #7
              Good Hole

              Originally posted by AK_BigO
              I'll check that spot out.

              Thanks,

              AK_BigO
              That is a good hole, as are the next three set of holes in that stretch of S-Turns. Just don't be tempted to anchor out in the channel. That stretch is popular and each time boats are anchored out in the river, it causes someone to get upset.
              "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
              ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

              Comment


              • #8
                Still slow at the Deshka

                Fished the mouth on Tuesday, and things are still slow there. We were there from noon until 7pm, and only hooked and landed one king. I was suprised how few boats were out. I would say around 10 boats were fishing at the mouth.

                Jim
                2009 Seawolf 31'
                www.seawolfmarine.com
                Fully Loaded

                Comment


                • #9
                  Best Times

                  Originally posted by jrogers
                  Fished the mouth on Tuesday, and things are still slow there. We were there from noon until 7pm, and only hooked and landed one king. I was suprised how few boats were out. I would say around 10 boats were fishing at the mouth.

                  Jim
                  Early morning is the ticket. As early as you can make it. After 7 AM, it is markedly slower.
                  "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
                  ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    6-24-06 hit the Deshka @ 8:00am hook 11 fish for the day with Watch4Bear. By far the best day on the Deshka that I've had so far. We kept 2 fish. The last fish broke my one piece rod into three sections. Not that the fish was that big I tightened the drag to keep her from going under the boat.
                    Soaking eggs on the bottom.
                    Attached Files

                    Comment

                    Footer Adsense

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X