Need a new fly reel for salmon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a new fly reel for salmon

I am in the market for a new reel for salmon fishing. I use a 10 wt rod with a fighting butt. The reel must have a strong drag. I currently use a System 2 reel.
    I am looking for a good quality reel for under $300 that has a good drag. I would also like it to be able to have the drag being pulled out without the handle spinning and hitting my knuckles.
    Any suggestions?

Try the Galavan "Rush" series large arbor reels (link below). I picked one up for my 7 wt (the R-6 model) and love the thing. Smoothest drag of any reel I've used -- converted me from a Ross man. I've caught numerous reds with it and it handles them with ease. I would go with the R-8 or R-10. Talk to people at McAfees Fly shop they'll fill you in on all the reasons to buy it.

http://www.galvanflyreels.com/rush.html

Comment

Reels

Randy, check out the Okuma's too, my wife has one on her 7 weight and I love that thing! It's the Airframe large arbor reel and it also handles reds with ease. I believe the BX carries them, thats where I bought my wifes.
      http://www.okumafishing.com/products/flyfishing.htm

Comment

Can both of these reels have the drag being pulled out with the handles spinning?

Comment

I know hers does not spin, the spool is seperate from the actual reel and the drag slows the reel or stops it depending on how tight you have it.

Comment

You are talking about a double action or anti-reverse fly reel. They aren't cheap. Most fly reels are single action. The spool and handle spins when the fish is taking line.

I use an older Pflueger 1499 double action that works great on Kings. They quit making them in the late 80s. If you can find one, I'd recommend it. Make sure it's in good shape and maybe have the drag worked on. These are probably considered a collector's item now.

I think Mt. View Sports might sell an anti-reverse in your price range. I believe the manufacturer is American Classic.

http://www.americanclassic.net/american/FlyReels.html

Or you could throw out the big bucks and buy a Billy Pate reel.

Comment

I bought my wife an American Classics. It's a good reel, and the price is reasonable. It isn't as big or heavy as some other anti-reverse reels, either.

My favorite is a Van Staal C-Vex direct drive. It has the best drag control of any reel I've ever used by far. And it has more stopping power than my rods are comfortable with. The drag's sealed, too, so if you get it wet in a silty stream, the drag isn't affected. It's the best fly reel I've ever used, bar none.

Comment

I have the Ross CLA 5.0 for my 10wt. You cannot beat a Ross Reel, and lifetime warranty. It is Large Arbor (LA in CLA) and has the unbeatable drag system that Ross is famous for. Excellent value along with the Ross quality and performance.

Comment

Lamson DXR reel

Some very good suggestions concerning your request. Okuma make a good reel for the price nice suggestion AkHunter45 :-) Try E-Bay believe it our not and look for the Orvis DXR Direct Drive Fly Reel made by Lamson from years ago. They are a Grand reel, but have not been manufactured for some time. If you find the Orvis version they will repair it for next to nothing if it requires work. Belive it our not you may also find Martin still makes a DXR Fly Reel the number slips my mind, but they are out there heavy as heck but still usable.

Tight Lines and Best wishes.

Comment

Another Vote for Galvan! I have two, one "Standard" (6-7yrs) on a 7wt and an "Open Back" (3-4yrs) on a 5wt and they are excellent. In fact I'm in the process of replacing my other fly reels with Galvan's too.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Any reel stating is an anti reverse will not spin the handle when line is being stripped?
                      Are the Ross's all anti reverse?

Comment

Yes, if it is anti-reverse, the handle won't spin as line is being stripped. No, I don't believe Ross makes an anti-reverse reel.

Comment

I checked out the Okuma's today but none I found were capable of not spinning the handle while the drag was going out, Am I confused?

Comment

There are only a few manufacturers that currently make an anti-reverse reel. The ones that I know of that do are:

American Classic
                            Billy Pate (Tibor)
                            Peux
                            Abel
                            Marryat

There may be others that I am unaware of.

Other manufacturers used to make them but no longer do. You can find some of their reels on the used market such as eBay.

Comment

Sketch,
                              Thank you. I may just buy a Ross and contend with a spinning handle but a great smooth drag.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X