2020 PWS Shrimping Tunnel Access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rob B View Post
    The Gov talked about this last night. He said yes you can go to other communities to recreate and encouraged it. Just donít socialize and stay 6í away from others. Pretty simple. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gets pretty confusing when he extends the travel mandate between communities until the 21st.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Originally posted by akfunhog View Post
      And If you don't stop in these communities and use any of their services then how one earth could you possibly affect them? I don't get it. Go ice fishing. Don't stop for snacks and a coffee. Its literally that simple.
      Someone called the Public Information Officer for the police here and the answer we got was, No. OK to go up the highway between communities to rabbit hunt. OK to snow machine in the Pass. No travel between communities. In another situation I called the PIO for the State Police and I was told no, no travel between communities unless it met the essential business definition in the mandate. That is the information we got from the police.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
        Someone called the Public Information Officer for the police here and the answer we got was, No. OK to go up the highway between communities to rabbit hunt. OK to snow machine in the Pass. No travel between communities. In another situation I called the PIO for the State Police and I was told no, no travel between communities unless it met the essential business definition in the mandate. That is the information we got from the police.
        Wouldn't be the first time I have heard a LEO not know what the heck they were talking about. The "mandate" from the gov. clearly mentions recreation. I just don't understand how people don't clearly understand this. Another point I'd like to make is that these "mandates" are not in any way shape or form enforceable by law. They are merely suggestions. Luckily I agree that they are mostly good ones. Martial law was never declared. This is still the USA. I don't think the constitution has a "virus makes this all null and void" clause. Use common sense. Keep your distance. Wash your freaking hands.

Comment

was this an LEO in Valdez? I went to three bears today in Chugiak and people seemed to not give a hoot about any of these mandates. Whole families walking around, no masked, within 6' of everyone else in the store. I am sure this is worse in Anchorage and Eagle River. So i think you are right, not enforceable, and I think a lot of people still aren't taking this seriously.

I heard the governor say it last night, he encourages people to get out and enjoy the state. Just use common sense. Common sense to me is only deal with one guy at the tunnel fee station, then we are in the clear to drop out boats in the water and go social distance in PWS. Nobody hangs out in Whittier unless they work there. See you all for the opener!

Comment

https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link...77cd&pageNum=5
            The link above is form the city of Whittier and may answers some peoples questions. The PIO I talked to was local and the one from the State Police. While yes the state travel ban is a mandate, the Whittier link will answer if you can be fined.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

I sent an email to the major of Whittier and this is the response I got back. This is his answer, and only his, and his interpretation.

"There is a lot of confusion around the interpretation of the State Mandates. My interpretation is this: I had shrimp for dinner tonight. I caught it last summer at the head of the bay. That makes it a subsistence activity which is allowed under State Mandate #12. Recreational activities that are outside of your community are also allowed under State Mandate #12 (See the State of Alaska FAQ page http://dhss.alaska.gov/News/Documents/press/2020/FAQs_03272020-SOA-COVID-19-Health-Mandate-011-012.pdf) but I prefer the “subsistence” description. We have other information on our webpage: http://whittieralaska.gov We have cleared off the snow from a significant portion of the parking lot in anticipation of Alaskans coming to Whittier to drop shrimp pots in Prince William Sound on April 15th. Don’t be surprised if we run out of parking though. We just don’t have enough space. The railroad owns most of the land here.

To be clear, you must go directly from the tunnel to the launch ramp and then to the parking lot after you launch your boat. Keep your distance from other people not in your group, and it would be a good idea to wear a mask on the docks because it will be crowded. The public restrooms are closed and most of the businesses are closed so there is no reason to drive around town. There are people here in Whittier, just like you have there in Valdez and they have down in Cordova and other parts of Alaska, that would like to prohibit anyone other than full time residents from coming into our community but it is not possible because we are connected to the road system. Don’t be surprised if you get some dirty looks from the locals though. It’s nothing personal – they just haven’t read the State Mandates or FAQ page closely and still think travel between communities is prohibited except for essential business – or wish it was.

Hope that answers your questions. Let me know if there’s anything else."

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
              Working...
              X