Harvesting Glacial Ice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harvesting Glacial Ice

Seems quite a few fishermen/women utilize glacial ice to keep their catch cool--does anyone have any tips/best practices for harvesting it safely from a boat? Any horror stories?

Originally posted by akgriz View Post
    Seems quite a few fishermen/women utilize glacial ice to keep their catch cool--does anyone have any tips/best practices for harvesting it safely from a boat? Any horror stories?
    We rarely harvest from the huge bergs. Usually there are enough dense, broken bits that are already sized correctly for the cooler floating around. Scoop as needed with a net. It's pretty safe and entertaining for guests to participating. No license or permit needed. Great for the tumbler as well if you partake.
    sigpicSpending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Comment

Even the small ones weight more than you think, so don't go after the big ones unless you hate your net! I try to stick to basketball ball size and smaller. After a couple you will get an eye for the dense ones, they last longer. Don't pick the ones with white spots.
      I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Comment

Smaller pieces are bigger than you think once you get over to them, I use my halibut harpoon to break them up into net sized pieces... it doesn't take much to fill the cooler... Its a bit like a buffet, your eyes can be bigger than your cooler....!
        We have digressed from a Nation of Revolutionaries to a country of entitlements"

Comment

Same what everyone else is saying. If it is over a coffee can lid on the surface it is going to weigh a lot. I net them then use my fish club (solid aluminum rod) to break them apart. Usually the little ones are all in a group away from the Titanic sinking ones.

Patriot Life Member NRA
          Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
          Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
            Same what everyone else is saying. If it is over a coffee can lid on the surface it is going to weigh a lot. I net them then use my fish club (solid aluminum rod) to break them apart. Usually the little ones are all in a group away from the Titanic sinking ones.
            We have done the same, just use the net to keep it next to the boat and swing away with bat. Then scoop up the small chunks with the net, trying to hold the netting and frame pulling straight up.

Comment

I learned last year not to depend on the glaciers for ice. I usually hit Columbia for ice and last year there was hardly anything on the shelves. Pun intended. I could not find but a few pieces unless I ran way up into the bay. It was just devoid of ice out in the channel. I got enough but actually cut my trip short because of the lack of ice.

I was reading the instruction on my new Cabela's commercial vacuum sealer. I noticed a hint: Vacuum seal up a bag of ice cubes made from drinking water. Then you have ice and, drinking water when it melts. I don't know why larger blocks would not work too.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

I was reading the instruction on my new Cabela's commercial vacuum sealer. I noticed a hint: Vacuum seal up a bag of ice cubes made from drinking water. Then you have ice and, drinking water when it melts. I don't know why larger blocks would not work too.
                Wouldn't it be easier to use plastic water bottles or reusable container.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                  Wouldn't it be easier to use plastic water bottles or reusable container.
                  Either way. Lots of options out there. Just something I saw while reading the instructions since I can't use it anyways for at least two weeks now.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

I can pack 4-5 coolers of ice into my ice hold on my boat for multiday trips. Been gathering glacier ice for years. I always carry a hatchet to bust up larger chunks into the right size pieces. I stay away from ice larger than a bath tub. That ice can do damage when it rolls and can damage outdrives and things in waves. Even softball sized pieces can damage a prop under power just ask me how i know.

Comment

I learned last year not to depend on the glaciers for ice. I usually hit Columbia for ice and last year there was hardly anything on the shelves. Pun intended. I could not find but a few pieces unless I ran way up into the bay. It was just devoid of ice out in the channel. I got enough but actually cut my trip short because of the lack of ice.

Im gonna steal that idea about vacuum sealing water. Lay em flat in the freezer and homemade ice packs! Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Andy82Hoyt View Post
                        Im gonna steal that idea about vacuum sealing water. Lay em flat in the freezer and homemade ice packs! Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Mix some sawdust in and they stay frozen much longer. We do that with gallon jugs. Probably won't use it for drinking then, unless you are in need of some extra fiber.
                        sigpicSpending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Comment

Rule #1, and maybe rules #2 and #3 as well: STOP the boat! Completely! The slightest drift can result in a lost net.

As you might guess; been there, done that....

Big_E

Comment

Are you folks using the ice for your catch? We grab a pile for the holds off the Holgate Glacier for the fish but wouldn't consider using it for water or drinks once it's been floating in the ocean for a mile or two, it gets nasty looking quickly.
                            Not sure if it'd make us sick, but would hate to ruin a good glass of bourbon with dirty ice.

Comment

Yes be careful manuevering around the ice bergs. Try not to use reverse to back into any of the little pieces. Be careful if you have a macerator pump that empties whereever you are putting the ice. There is a lot of sand and little rocks in there that can mess up your macerator pump. The glacier ice does seem to last allot longer than homemade ice blocks. We like to use a net and pull the chunk up on the swim deck then through the transom door. I also cary an ice pick to make smaller pieces or break a bigger chunk into a more manageable piece. A screwdriver works in a pinch too.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X