No announcement yet.

Harvesting Glacial Ice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With Columbia Glacier you can find several varieties of ice to choose from. The bottom ice, darker with rocks I usually avoid. I usually haul in the clear ice as the most desirable. It does last longer and chills a drink of Jim Beam just right. There has never been any after effects from the ice. And the Jim really helps with the sleeping on the boat.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
      With Columbia Glacier you can find several varieties of ice to choose from. The bottom ice, darker with rocks I usually avoid. I usually haul in the clear ice as the most desirable. It does last longer and chills a drink of Jim Beam just right. There has never been any after effects from the ice. And the Jim really helps with the sleeping on the boat.
      Dead on here. Listen to it pop while sipping a drink on the deck. Wont be long now.
      Bk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      BK Marine Services 232-6399
      Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
      Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
      Www.bkmarineservices.com

Comment

Originally posted by bkmail View Post
        Dead on here. Listen to it pop while sipping a drink on the deck. Wont be long now.
        Bk Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        I am checking with the State Police right now if I can go to Anch. and haul my boat back. I know they are checking people on the roads. I don't need a fine.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

You guys are amazing! Thanks for so many great ideas--and Dave, I hope you get your required "floating social distancing equipment" home safely.

Comment

That old super dense blue ice makes the best gin & tonics...!
            ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
            I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
            The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

There has never been any after effects from the ice.
              Yep, safe for sure. There was even an outfit selling it (not sure if they still are) I also saw a Kickstarter for a "luxury" cocktail ice business using harvested ice. Pretty sure the state issues a permit for commercial harvest, if you are harvesting a **** ton.

Comment

Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
                That old super dense blue ice makes the best gin & tonics...!

Agreed!

Wasn’t that long ago that even land-lubbers could routinely harvest glacial ice at Portage.

No more....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
                sigpic
                The KeenEye MD

Comment

Still curious about the small "bergs" getting picked up that the gulls, terns, seals, crows, and ravens rest on?
                  Not sure a sea water bath is good enough for me and for my Bourbon, I'll stick to ice from my fridge. LOL.
                  Enjoy, and see you out there soon.

Comment

The little pieces, basketball sized, the birds never land on. They are almost continualy washed by waves. I have never had a problem.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Ice pic.jpgI picked up one of these from Amazon. Good luck finding an ice pic in a store.

Last edited by Gmork; 04-08-2020, 07:09. Reason: Picture didn't post

Comment

Originally posted by Gmork View Post
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]98836[/ATTACH]I picked up one of these from Amazon. Good luck finding an ice pic in a store.

A good ice pick is essential, funny thing i bought two from Amazon, wooden handles SS, inexpensive, first time i used it, it bent...! Guess where it was made..? Then bought a old hickory from Sampson's, it dont bend...
                        “We have digressed from a Nation of Revolutionaries to a country of entitlements"

Comment

ice.JPGmule time.jpg

We enjoy glacial ice

Comment

This thread reminds me of the time my in-laws came up to visit years ago when they were still alive and we had them out in the Sound on the boat for a weekend out. We mentioned we had to go get some ice and they looked around and said they didn't see a 7-11 anywhere, and asked where were we going to get ice. Then the surprise look on their faces when I scooped some out of the water. Nice family memory we still laugh about.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X