My socially distant twins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My socially distant twins

Social distance is inconvienient but not impossible, heck i tell the grandkids "ive been socially distant since i was about 4 years old!"

Needing a couple downrigger weights AND swearing off lead cast weights i took the initiative to try something different. Over the many years spent in industry and casting a variety of lead objects at home im pretty sensitive to the fumes now days. One of my former weight styles required 3 days to complete accounting for the machine work, the welding and pouring it full of lead.(20lb)

The new style is only an inch longer with the same external configuration and is solid inconel 750. Now im not a glutton for punishment and did not choose inconel as a first choice but the price was right and i take great pleasure in knowing, no one in the entire world have a matching pair of fully machined inconel weights. This pair was completed in 4 days which makes them comparable to the lead version.

they're not identical twins, just birth twins. One is a couple pounds heavier than the other and they're noses are different. One closly following a nautilus pattern and the other favoring the skipjack pattern.

Ive fished this style of weight, sucessfully to 400 ft over the years although typically i run less than 250. They track straight, have minimul blowback and the electronics pick them up.

So there you have it, one old guys thoughts on social distance. Now i gotta get back after greenhouse chores nen, oh look theres a butterfly!

Hope you have a nice day!
    Attached Files

Very cool! A little worse to machine than 316 stainless? Way worse?

Big_E

Comment

Many people dread machining stainless for some reason. After 4 1/2 decades of pump, turbine and compressor work i prefer 316 to any other material, even over aluminum and plastic!
      Inconel is very tough, easily work hardened and requires speeds umder 100 rpm on my engine lathe. It eats good inserts too so for this project it was brased carbide and lots of working off the compound.

it seems like i loose one every couple years and always like to have a couple on board, maybe i can be more careful this year?
      i still have 5 ft. Of that pump shaft but hope i never have to use it.

Comment

Pretty neat. I was wondering where you got that much inconel. Sourcewater pump? I would love to get my hands on a set of those.

Comment

Funhog, i sent you a P.M regarding the inconel.

Comment

Would love to buy a set!
            In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Comment

Originally posted by Alasgun View Post
              Many people dread machining stainless for some reason. After 4 1/2 decades of pump, turbine and compressor work i prefer 316 to any other material, even over aluminum and plastic!
              Inconel is very tough, easily work hardened and requires speeds umder 100 rpm on my engine lathe. It eats good inserts too so for this project it was brased carbide and lots of working off the compound.

it seems like i loose one every couple years and always like to have a couple on board, maybe i can be more careful this year?
              i still have 5 ft. Of that pump shaft but hope i never have to use it.
              I don't exactly dread machining stainless, but I will admit to being a little impatient when I work with it, given that 95% of my time is machining 6061-T6 aluminum. My lathe is part of the problem; I have an Hardinge HLV-EM, a mostly good design, but it is gutless and the power feed is a tool killer on tough metals. What I do dread machining is invar.

Big_E

Comment

Very cool Alasgun!
                sigpic

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                Working...
                X