Non-pelagic closure SE AK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patsfan54 View Post
    Perhaps you have been away tending to your commercial interests, but the questions remain. How much of your commercial interest are you willing to give up to have the required surveys done, and if they were to just shut down all commercial fisheries that impact non-pelagic but allow sport fishing in certain areas would you support that?
    its the exact opposite. Sport is allocated 16%. That includes charter. They have been under that allocation. Longliners as bycatch take the most.

so essentially they shut down the sport at 16%, the smaller user group, and kept the largest open. Yeah, that makes sense?! The big reason why sport is closed is they can release them alive.

I have seen the locations they did their rover surveys. Horrible locations. Only one of them from Omney to Shakan has ever seen a rod, and I know that exact rockpile. Its surrounded by piles full of yellow eye.

Nothing about this closure makes sense. I was told an outside influence made it happen. They did a survey in 2018. That same data allowed them to open a commercial directed rock fishery in 2019 but with that same data the stocks are collapsing in 2020? Someone needs to be fired.
    Alaska Wide Open Charters
    www.alaskawideopen.com
    907-965-0130

Comment

Originally posted by 270ti View Post
      its the exact opposite. Sport is allocated 16%. That includes charter. They have been under that allocation. Longliners as bycatch take the most.

so essentially they shut down the sport at 16%, the smaller user group, and kept the largest open. Yeah, that makes sense?! The big reason why sport is closed is they can release them alive.

I have seen the locations they did their rover surveys. Horrible locations. Only one of them from Omney to Shakan has ever seen a rod, and I know that exact rockpile. Its surrounded by piles full of yellow eye.

Nothing about this closure makes sense. I was told an outside influence made it happen. They did a survey in 2018. That same data allowed them to open a commercial directed rock fishery in 2019 but with that same data the stocks are collapsing in 2020? Someone needs to be fired.
      A LOT of people need to be fired

Comment

Until the commercial guys take a serious hit in the pocket book they'll never change.
        Close them down or severely restrict their operations and they will figure out how to reduce their bycatch.
        I do agree in this instance all sides should take an equal hit.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk
        "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

Originally posted by 270ti View Post

I understand what you are saying, and the complete sport closure doesn't make sense while commercial is allowed free reign (especially with a 84-16 split) but you didn't answer my questions. How much of your commercial interest are you willing to give up to have the required surveys done, and if they were to just shut down all commercial fisheries that impact non-pelagic but allow sport fishing in certain areas would you support that? Seems like a pretty straightforward set of questions, 0%, 5%, 20%, 50%, 100% or anywhere in between and then a yes or no.

Also, as I'm sure you are aware sports and commercial fisheries are separate divisions in ADFG.
          I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Comment

THIS!
            unless these areas are protected from commerial longlining and dinglebar fishing, the cuts to the sports will mean nothing, and the nets and troller fishing needs to go also.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Zeek View Post
              I've seen other states handle this by mandating maximum fishing depths & closed areas. Not sure how well the charter or commercial fleets could handle being limited to max fishing depths of say, 120 feet (like Southern California had). As far as the survivability of fish released at depth - maybe it's not 95%. But it's surely much higher than letting them float away.
              The rock fish came back in good numbers in California, but the Ca. F&G have not a clue how to regulate sustainability and balance of the commercial and sport fish industries. Without quotas for the commercial boats the fish numbers will not last! Now they are proposing to open the drag-boat net fishing, which is indiscrimintory take of many species, that pretty much rapes the ocean! With the modern technology available harvesting of the ocean can be easily unbalance the natural state of the area. When I take people out to fish I try to teach about the conservation of our waters as much as showing and enjoying the sport. We try to take bigger adult fish and then only what we want for eating. Most other persons we encounter the first thing they ask is if we got our limits. It I could continue on about human greed and such but I need to stop now! Teach those that are naive about the such!

Comment

I'm no expert but I've made 5 trips to fish the west side of POW. Closer to town than where 270ti fishes, but I've always been shocked at the abundance of yelloweye, not to mention quillbacks and coppers which I think are also covered under these new regs. Even within sight of Craig or Klawock, if you drop a jig 200 ft on a rockpile it takes about 5 seconds to hookup. There are so many rockfish it's usually hard to fish for halibut or lingcod. I'm a scientist by profession and I certainly understand the issue (slow growth rates and susceptibility to over fishing) but geez it seems a little nuts to lump rockpiles near Juneau under the same regs as someplace off of Noyes or Warren islands.

Comment

Great news! Now we can keep "slope rockfish" in SE!

I laughed when I got the news release, because the ways things are going, it's extraordinarily unlikely that I'll be taking the family to AK this year.

But it's nice to know that one can keep a silvergray for dinner now.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X