Non-pelagic closure SE AK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 270ti View Post
    yellow eye are very difficult to catch on troll gear. Longline gear gets a ton and are allowed a certain percentage of bycatch.
    Thanks. Could have been a troller running the longline gear, itís been a few years no doubt about it. Plenty of double duty boats up here. There was a trail nonetheless and it werenít from no sport boat[emoji1].

Comment

Originally posted by gbflyer View Post
      Thanks. Could have been a troller running the longline gear, itís been a few years no doubt about it. Plenty of double duty boats up here. There was a trail nonetheless and it werenít from no sport boat[emoji1].
      possibly. On the old timer trollers you will see red plugs hanging. They like to eat red plugs. So they would put one on the bottom spread to catch a yellow eye for dinner. I have never caught one power trolling.
      Alaska Wide Open Charters
      www.alaskawideopen.com
      907-965-0130

Comment

the are studying small areas around population centers, using the same rock piles.
        Interesting. Can you show research documentation to support this allegation? The published study documentation I see indicates they have been consistently running line transect surveys with submersibles in a couple of SE study areas since 1990. Is this not true?
        ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
        I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
        The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

I am just hot under the collar as how this went down. Donít mind me.
          www.alaskawideopen.com
          907-965-0130

Comment

Whenever the deepwater releases were being mandated for charter boats, I emailed a friend saying that the following year or two would be a complete closure. I hate being right.

Yes, maybe this is a necessary step, or maybe it isn't. But it is annoying that I can't keep my 1 yelloweye for the year when I'm up there.

Comment

Yeah, hindsight is 2020. I am not convinced the rockfish release morality rate is as good as they claim. I got word they will give a presentation on Jan 13th to try to justify the closure to everyone. So, I will reserve my comments until I see that. But, after the last wolf fiasco numbers on POW, I have very little faith in the adfg and itís numbers and studies. We are seeing something totally different on the outer coast of pow than the 60% reduction they are claiming. When they close us down for lingcod on July 25 we pretty much give up on lingcod because we encounter so many yellow eye. Is the longline fleet still going to get 10% yellow eye bycatch allowance?

Originally posted by Uncle Zeek View Post
              Whenever the deepwater releases were being mandated for charter boats, I emailed a friend saying that the following year or two would be a complete closure. I hate being right.

Yes, maybe this is a necessary step, or maybe it isn't. But it is annoying that I can't keep my 1 yelloweye for the year when I'm up there.
              www.alaskawideopen.com
              907-965-0130

Comment

I am not convinced the rockfish release morality rate is as good as they claim...When they close us down for lingcod on July 25 we pretty much give up on lingcod because we encounter so many yellow eye.
                The rockfish release mortality rate isn't just an ADFG study, it has been studied all over the place and is sound science. Put them back where they came from and the barotrauma is mitigated for the most part, a simple Google search will prove this out...if you don't believe Google use any search engine, it is sound science.

As far as your comment on lingcod, shouldn't you stop targeting lingcod when the season is closed? You aren't targeting a closed species during a closed season are you?
                ďI would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.Ē Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Comment

I'm very concerned about some of the charter photos I've been seeing the last few years, especially photos of yelloweye. It is my understanding that these fish inhabit the same rock pile for many years and that once you clean them out, it will be years again if it ever recovers. Because they are on the same rock pile, it's a simple matter to just keep going to the same spots in order to fill client bag limits. Not picking on the charter industry here, because the sport guys do the same, although with less success. With such constant harvest pressure, can we expect to see these restrictions moving north into Prince William Sound?

Please correct me if I am mistaken on any of this!
                  Michael Strahan
                  Site Owner
                  Alaska Hunt Consultant
                  1 (907) 229-4501

Comment

sorry I misspoke. They shut last us down for yellow eye not lingcod on the 25th.

I have seen numbers from 65-95% for the release mechanisms which frankly is a huge difference. I have even seen numbers as low as 25% that survive. I have been on the boat with the NOAA scientists as they released yellow eye too and spoke at length with them about it. When they come to the surface with their bellies fully out of mouth and eyes exploding out of their heads I have a hard time believing that 95% recover from that in the long term.

Originally posted by Patsfan54 View Post
                    The rockfish release mortality rate isn't just an ADFG study, it has been studied all over the place and is sound science. Put them back where they came from and the barotrauma is mitigated for the most part, a simple Google search will prove this out...if you don't believe Google use any search engine, it is sound science.

As far as your comment on lingcod, shouldn't you stop targeting lingcod when the season is closed? You aren't targeting a closed species during a closed season are you?
                    www.alaskawideopen.com
                    907-965-0130

Comment

the problem is that you are basing your opinion on charter pictures, and not the big picture of whatís going on out there. Will there be some localized depletion, of course there will. A very valuable industry going on out there. But, there are also vast areas that go unfished by any charter or sport boat, and will never be fished by a sport boat. The Alaskan coast is huge, with very little pressure on the majority of it.

unless these areas are protected from commerial longlining and dinglebar fishing, the cuts to the sports will mean nothing.

Originally posted by Michael Strahan View Post
                      I'm very concerned about some of the charter photos I've been seeing the last few years, especially photos of yelloweye. It is my understanding that these fish inhabit the same rock pile for many years and that once you clean them out, it will be years again if it ever recovers. Because they are on the same rock pile, it's a simple matter to just keep going to the same spots in order to fill client bag limits. Not picking on the charter industry here, because the sport guys do the same, although with less success. With such constant harvest pressure, can we expect to see these restrictions moving north into Prince William Sound?

Please correct me if I am mistaken on any of this!
                      www.alaskawideopen.com
                      907-965-0130

Comment

I think this regulation is partly due to the halibut restrictions. Charters in 3A have asked for a 1 ling cod limit (instead of a 2 fish limit) in popular areas and f&g says it is not necessary, I know one group of charter operators have self imposed a 1 fish limit on their boats. As halibut get more resricted and days are lost charters will continue to branch out on non halibut days and fish other species. f&g needs to get out in front of the trend before other species numbers take a down turn and they have to close. If needed, there needs to be a step down before it gets to full closure.
                        Point of contention, equally, what about the by-catch from long liners and the public process. I trust guys suchs as 270ti that are on the water everyday and their input in the process is very valuable to ask the pointed questions about the studies and give important observastions that f&g often dismisses because it isn't scientific data.

Comment

Originally posted by akfunhog View Post
                          I wonder if the halibut longline fishery will be shut down as well seeing as they bycatch more yelloweye that sportfishermen every keep.
                          Granddad had Halibut quota around Sitka for many years. The number of Yelloweye they got in bycatch was unbelievable, and he was a small timer with a less than 40 foot boat.
                          "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Comment

Originally posted by yukon View Post
                            I trust guys suchs as 270ti that are on the water everyday and their input in the process is very valuable to ask the pointed questions about the studies and give important observastions that f&g often dismisses because it isn't scientific data.
                            Fair enough, but is it also fair to look at it from the other direction? F&Gs decision is based on long term peer reviewed studies which are published for all to scrutinize. Guys like 270ti on the other hand are offering opinions and beliefs, but not any hard data. If they want their input to be taken seriously, they need to offer something more substantive than simply saying "I don't believe the findings of the studies".
                            ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                            I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Strahan View Post
                              With such constant harvest pressure, can we expect to see these restrictions moving north into Prince William Sound?
                              I would bet on it. Surprised it hasn't happened already.

Comment

I guess I lean towards over reaction rather than under reaction. 15 years ago we would have had the same reaction to shutting down certain King fisheries, nets, etc and there would have been the same things brought up. I sure wish they would have over reacted there.

I understand your concerns, and they seem fair. But these guys donít just search a rock pile, they are out there trying their hardest to preserve things for future generations and provide us with reasonable opportunities. Do they make mistakes, sure. Is this one a mistake? Wonít know for sure for awhile, but Iíd rather there be an abundance in later years than little to none.

I was sent to Commifornia for some training for 3 weeks once, decided there was no way I was hanging in town on the weekends. Found Marina Del Rey sportfishing, figured what the heck, cheap boat ride out of town. I watched at least 10 halibut about 12-15Ē long get bonked I mean smaller than our flounders. Said thatís normal size in this area, 10Ē rockfish bonk. Iíd hate to see even localized places get that bad.

I sure hope they get it right

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X