No announcement yet.

IHPC Meeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In my experience bycatch is minimal when rod and reel, sportfishing, for halibut. I think you are comparing apples and oranges.

Comment

Originally posted by BeaverCaster View Post
      Well sure, if you call a fish over 26 inches a big fish... :whistle:

Not to mention, max 4 fish per year, no fishing on Tuesday or Wednesday. Whats next?
      Never caught on over 29" so I wouldn't know..

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
      I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
      but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Comment

Originally posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
        Never caught on over 29" so I wouldn't know..

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
        When I go out on my private boat I rarely even catch halibut, they aren't the target species. In the last decade I've limited out once on my private boat when it was just my brother and myself and we caught 4 halibut that amounted to maybe 20 pounds of filets, man was that some good eating halibut! So commercial charters would have me give up 10 pounds of meat so they can make another buck or two?

Restricting private anglers so commercial charters can gain a miniscule market share for a few more pennies makes zero sense, the bycatch fleet is the problem.

If the commercial charter fleet comes after the few halibut I catch a year I have a problem and I for one won't stand for it.
        I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Comment

Adding some fuel to the fire.............The charter fleet will be claiming they are not "Commercial", if you go to any Commercial fish permit selling website on the Internet right now I guarantee you will see "Halibut Charter Permits" for sale.... the 6 pack is going for at lowest $87,000, in order for the charter boat to provide the "sportfishing services" you need a limited entry permit just like most commercial fisheries. Now that being said when the limited entry system was created those that had been in the business definitely deserved their permits for $0 cost.....now they are worth big $$$$….I would propose that if in the future the private boat fleet and the charter fleet were to fall under the same category as far as rules and allotment...that the limited entry permit system be abolished and those permits be worth $0.00 and anyone can go out start up a halibut charter business just like pre-limited entry days...because in theory according to the charter fleet argument it will come down to this.... their business is more valuable and worth more to the Community than the private/subsistence boat fleet...and most community leaders will probably back them..and in some communities it may be absolutely true others not so much..however according to their argument more charters/businesses = good/better economic benefit for everyone.....Charter permit holders wouldn't want this to happen though because they just lost big $$$$ with a worthless permit now and 2nd they lost the monopoly on the business because there will be more competition and that will drive trip prices down...those with original permits who got it for $0 wouldn't have much to really complain about but the problem would be the guy who just bought the permit for $87,000 last year and now its worthless....and that's why this scenario would never play out...and that's also why the Charter fleet is viewed as a Commercial Enterprise to most because in order to provide "sportfishing services" to regular licensed people like the private fleet you need a Limited Entry Permit to do so that is worth $$$ that can be bought and sold.

Comment

So why not get rid of limited entry. Make any limited entry go to auction. For example you want a six pack charter permit, there wil be an auction for a five year six pack permit that goes to the highest bidder. So you get the permit for five years and the State or governing body gets the auction proceeds to help with management of that species. So the State gets a return on the harvest of those resources. The charter has a five year permit that they can bid on again in five years.

Comment

Since National Marine Fisheries, NOAA, controls the halibut does the state control limited entry or is that federal.

Comment

Will the May 15 meeting bring an emergency rule change? Clearly the charter fishing has been turned upside down this season. The operators need all the help they can get.

https://meetings.npfmc.org/Meeting/Details/1463

Comment

It’s more about the charters getting their allocation.
                  Alaska Wide Open Charters
                  www.alaskawideopen.com
                  907-965-0130

Comment

This just in... charter rules relaxed.

https://meetings.npfmc.org/CommentRe...2%20MOTION.pdf

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X