Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IHPC Meeting

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Charter halibut rules were also approved based on the harvest levels. In 2C the limits are 1 halibut per day equal to or less than 40 inches or larger than 80 inches. In 3A, the limits are 2 halibut per day with 1 of any size, and 1 equal to or less than 26 inches. Tuesdays will also be closed for charter anglers in 3A.

    https://www.alaskajournal.com/2020-0...vels-us-waters

    Comment


    • #32
      Private boat owners/anglers we better stick together and get our ducks in a row, if you don't think the charter fleet won't politic/lobby for us to take the next cut so they can "stay in business" you'd be a fool. Other states WA,OR, and BC the charter quota and private boats quota are combined in same catch quota, this argument is coming, already being planned by those who would benefit. Those tourist dollars not being spent on Tue/Wed will still be spent in AK, however it won't go into a charter boat captains pocket in Homer/Seward/Whittier it will be spread out going to a Bear Viewing flyout, Kasilof guide, Kenai River guide, Glacier Cruise Boat Company etc.

      Comment


      • #33
        Editor's note: This article has been updated to clarify the mortality limits and that charters in 3A will be closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.


        Shoot move communicate!
        Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
        www.kodiakcombos.com

        Comment


        • #34
          Seal humper,
          The charter fleet still fishes on those ďclosed for halibut daysĒ, they just target our rockfish, lings, and salmon instead.
          They arenít missing out on a day of fishing and a boat load of customers just cause they cant drop a line for halibut that day.
          Another option the charter fleet is exercising is building 12 pack boats. Then they fish twice as many people for butt 5 days a week. So now they end up catching more halibut in 5 days instead.
          Bk



          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          BK Marine Services 232-6399
          Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
          Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
          Www.bkmarineservices.com

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by SEAL HUMPER View Post
            Private boat owners/anglers we better stick together and get our ducks in a row, if you don't think the charter fleet won't politic/lobby for us to take the next cut so they can "stay in business" you'd be a fool. Other states WA,OR, and BC the charter quota and private boats quota are combined in same catch quota, this argument is coming, already being planned by those who would benefit. Those tourist dollars not being spent on Tue/Wed will still be spent in AK, however it won't go into a charter boat captains pocket in Homer/Seward/Whittier it will be spread out going to a Bear Viewing flyout, Kasilof guide, Kenai River guide, Glacier Cruise Boat Company etc.
            Absolutely, people with a commercial interest are driven by monetary decisions. Charters are not sports fishermen while they are pursuing commercial interests in selling a sports fishing adventure of our common resource for personal gain. I won't begrudge a person making a living from fishing, but private fishermen who are pursuing our common resource for no monetary gain are a completely separate group from those who do it for money. Those with monetary interests should bear the brunt of restrictions when it comes to our common resources.
            ďI would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.Ē Physicist ― Richard Feynman

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Patsfan54 View Post
              Absolutely, people with a commercial interest are driven by monetary decisions. Charters are not sports fishermen while they are pursuing commercial interests in selling a sports fishing adventure of our common resource for personal gain. I won't begrudge a person making a living from fishing, but private fishermen who are pursuing our common resource for no monetary gain are a completely separate group from those who do it for money. Those with monetary interests should bear the brunt of restrictions when it comes to our common resources.
              X2..charters are just as commercial as longliners

              Comment


              • #37
                Remove the bounties that the state and federal governments impose on each of us and we are people who love to fish, thatís why we live where we do. I grew up in a coastal community that had a dock pier and it was very close to my house where I grew up, so seeing fish and catching fish off the dock got me hooked! I fished for food, being the oldest of six I caught fish to cook my younger brothers and sisters, plus it was a blast! I commercial purse seined with my parents from grade school till I graduated high school and left to the marine Corp, that paid for fuel and groceries for the winter, in the fall we fish to put up smoked/dried fish for the winter. I grew up a fisherman not a sport fisherman, subsistence fisherman, or a commercial fisherman I am a fisherman. This divid is not where I want us to go, like I said remove the boundaries imposed on us and letís work this out like people who love to fish. Rant done!


                Shoot move communicate!
                Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
                www.kodiakcombos.com

                Comment


                • #38
                  And charter anglers are just as much sport anglers as any other sport angler, right?

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by BeaverCaster View Post
                    And charter anglers are just as much sport anglers as any other sport angler, right?
                    All stake holders should be at the table discussing concerns and coming up with solutions verses whoever has the most money. First we must get rid of the labels government puts on us.


                    Shoot move communicate!
                    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
                    www.kodiakcombos.com

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      IHPC Meeting

                      All I know is that in our little town, the 22 boat charter industry collects the most sales and bed tax, makes sure there is enough fuel sold that the bulk provider can keep the volume high enough for a decent discount for the rest of us, keeps the air taxis busy, and offers some jobs to locals to those who want to do actual work. Further reductions in limits have changed the dynamic since the early - 2000ís when I gave it up, in that the charters who have staked their claim filling boxes now have to use GAF. Those who sell experience over poundage are doing fine, itís all in the way itís presented. New recruitment is low. I see the customers are getting older and older with fewer young people. I believe many of them have the money, they just simply donít have time. I suspect that the charter industry as with other bloodsport pastimes doesnít have too many more years before effort takes a serious nosedive.

                      I disagree that a charter operator is a commercial fisherman. The commercial fisherman keeps and sells the actual product. I believe there are fisheries in Hawaii and maybe NJ where charter anglers pay to go out but the boat keeps the fish? Thatís a commercial charter fishery in my view. Of course, I donít think the heavily weighted to the longline side of the IPHC agreed with that way back when and probably wonít any time soon.[emoji1]

                      Iím gonna go fish my 30 subsistence hooks. One pull and Iíve got plenty. Crazy that I can keep 20 a day if I want to. Anybody wanna tackle that one?

                      Oh yeah I wanted to ask: Can the charters fish GAF on the off days?

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by gbflyer View Post

                        Oh yeah I wanted to ask: Can the charters fish GAF on the off days?
                        Really interesting question! Seems like you ought to be able to.

                        Big_E

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by gbflyer View Post
                          All I know is that in our little town, the 22 boat charter industry collects the most sales and bed tax, makes sure there is enough fuel sold that the bulk provider can keep the volume high enough for a decent discount for the rest of us, keeps the air taxis busy, and offers some jobs to locals to those who want to do actual work. Further reductions in limits have changed the dynamic since the early - 2000ís when I gave it up, in that the charters who have staked their claim filling boxes now have to use GAF. Those who sell experience over poundage are doing fine, itís all in the way itís presented. New recruitment is low. I see the customers are getting older and older with fewer young people. I believe many of them have the money, they just simply donít have time. I suspect that the charter industry as with other bloodsport pastimes doesnít have too many more years before effort takes a serious nosedive.

                          I disagree that a charter operator is a commercial fisherman. The commercial fisherman keeps and sells the actual product. I believe there are fisheries in Hawaii and maybe NJ where charter anglers pay to go out but the boat keeps the fish? Thatís a commercial charter fishery in my view. Of course, I donít think the heavily weighted to the longline side of the IPHC agreed with that way back when and probably wonít any time soon.[emoji1]

                          Iím gonna go fish my 30 subsistence hooks. One pull and Iíve got plenty. Crazy that I can keep 20 a day if I want to. Anybody wanna tackle that one?

                          Oh yeah I wanted to ask: Can the charters fish GAF on the off days?
                          Yes, GAF can be used on closed days.
                          Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by gbflyer View Post
                            Iím gonna go fish my 30 subsistence hooks. One pull and Iíve got plenty. Crazy that I can keep 20 a day if I want to. Anybody wanna tackle that one?
                            I have seen zero evidence of anyone complaining about rural residents being able to subsistence fish, nothing crazy about being able to catch your own food when you live remote. Good luck and more power to you on catching your twenty halibut in one pull and processing them in the middle of February, most of the subsistence halibut fishermen I know do it well before the middle of winter, but to each their own. Hopefully you are well equipped and know what you are doing but from the look of it you are more into trolling...

                            Fish on!!!
                            ďI would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.Ē Physicist ― Richard Feynman

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              IHPC Meeting

                              Originally posted by Patsfan54 View Post
                              I have seen zero evidence of anyone complaining about rural residents being able to subsistence fish, nothing crazy about being able to catch your own food when you live remote. Good luck and more power to you on catching your twenty halibut in one pull and processing them in the middle of February, most of the subsistence halibut fishermen I know do it well before the middle of winter, but to each their own. Hopefully you are well equipped and know what you are doing but from the look of it you are more into trolling...

                              Fish on!!!
                              Hahahahaha. You funny!

                              Never said I was going in February, or that I catch 20. I donít need 20. But I can keep that many if I want. Reading comprehension must not be your strong suit. Well equipped yes. Know what Iím doing? Never. No fun in that. Trolling? Yep, thereís a few Winter Kings around.[emoji6]

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by gbflyer View Post
                                Hahahahaha. You funny!

                                Never said I was going in February, or that I catch 20. I donít need 20. But I can keep that many if I want. Reading comprehension must not be your strong suit. Well equipped yes. Know what Iím doing? Never. No fun in that. Trolling? Yep, thereís a few Winter Kings around.[emoji6]

                                My mistake, I clearly misunderstood when you said "Iím gonna go fish my 30 subsistence hooks." You obviously meant that you weren't going to go fish your 30 subsistence hooks when you said that, thanks for the clarification.
                                ďI would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.Ē Physicist ― Richard Feynman

                                Comment

                                Footer Adsense

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X