No announcement yet.

IHPC Meeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like the trawlers had a record bycatch of halibut this year too. Can't stop them, they feed the world.

Comment

they world cant survive with out their McFish
      I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
      but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Comment

Originally posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
        yep whats the equal like 3-5 pounds of meat maybe. Wonder if they ever though about doing 1 any size and then 1 thats 28-34" or something like that.
        a 26" fish might weigh 5lbs whole, you're looking at 2lb of meat maybe.
        Life's too short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
        Kodiak, AK
        www.alaska-fish.com
        https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Comment

Originally posted by Abel View Post
          a 26" fish might weigh 5lbs whole, you're looking at 2lb of meat maybe.
          Yeah. My opinion is let those fish live. But it’s a complex issue for sure. Personally feel the charters are getting the shaft because of the longliners targeting females.
          Alaska Wide Open Charters
          www.alaskawideopen.com
          907-965-0130

Comment

""The Council also instructed the Charter Halibut Management Committee’s 3A representatives to convene a public teleconference meeting prior to the Jan/Feb 2020 Council meeting and the IPHC’s February 2020 Annual Meeting at which they will make recommendations on management measures that could achieve a 1.24 million pound harvest. The timing of that meeting and instructions for public accessibility will be noticed in the Federal Register and publicized on the NPFMC website in the coming weeks."

In other words be prepared for further cuts than the two days a week.
            www.graylightalaska.com
            http://www.saltwatersportsman.com/ga...arter-captains
            (800)566-3912

Comment

Something is seriously wrong when there is more BYCATCH than actual catch.
              “I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by AKCAPT View Post
                ""The Council also instructed the Charter Halibut Management Committee’s 3A representatives to convene a public teleconference meeting prior to the Jan/Feb 2020 Council meeting and the IPHC’s February 2020 Annual Meeting at which they will make recommendations on management measures that could achieve a 1.24 million pound harvest. The timing of that meeting and instructions for public accessibility will be noticed in the Federal Register and publicized on the NPFMC website in the coming weeks."

In other words be prepared for further cuts than the two days a week.

What would 2 fish daily, both under 42 inches, do to the quota?

The “under 26/28 inch” fish is a waste of time in my opinion, and I don’t keep them generally. But I don’t care to eat anything much over 40 pounds.

Seems like charters keep getting the shaft. Sorry for the operators.

Comment

Originally posted by BeaverCaster View Post
                  What would 2 fish daily, both under 42 inches, do to the quota?

The “under 26/28 inch” fish is a waste of time in my opinion, and I don’t keep them generally. But I don’t care to eat anything much over 40 pounds.

Seems like charters keep getting the shaft. Sorry for the operators.

That would probably double the current charter harvest. charter operators are taking the same percentage of reduction as longliners. Both groups are managed to abundance, which is low right now. The management measure are decided primarily by the charter halibut management committee, which is made up entirely of charter and lodge operators that fish for halibut. So while you may not like the measures, the members of this committee with plenty of input for industry decides what is the least difficult changes. These guys all do this at their own expenses. here is where to find out who is on the committee. Stop and thank them for their service if you know them, it is a crappy job.

https://www.npfmc.org/charter-halibu...-sharing-plan/
                  www.graylightalaska.com
                  http://www.saltwatersportsman.com/ga...arter-captains
                  (800)566-3912

Comment

Any update on the 3a area (mabye 2a as well) meeting that is going to be held before the official meeting begins?

Comment

Interesting analysis here, but what will the charter operators committee recommend?

https://meetings.npfmc.org/CommentRe...03A%202020.pdf

Comment

Halibut meetings started today, any updates????

Comment

Another piece of the puzzle falls into place...

https://www.alaskajournal.com/2020-0...ter-rules-2020

Comment

In Southcentral, the council took a similar tiered approach. The allocation levels are larger in general in Southcentral, but so is participation. Regardless of the allocation, the recommendations include an annual limit of four halibut per charter angler, closed Wednesdays, one trip per halibut charter vessel per day, and one trip per permit per day.
                            If the allocation is between about 1.7 million and 2 million pounds, the daily bag limit would be set at two halibut, with one fish of any size and the other smaller than 26 inches, with some Tuesdays closed.
                            At an allocation of between 1.588 million and 1.695 million pounds, the bag and size limits would be the same, but all Tuesdays would close and some Thursdays would close until the allocation is achieved. Below that, all Tuesdays would be closed with a daily bag limit of one halibut and a reverse slot limit, with an upper limit of 80 inches and a lower limit beginning at 58 inches.

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
                            sigpic
                            The KeenEye MD

Comment

i am sure if i read into it more i would find out but when do they come up with the allocation for the year. reason i ask is my buddies are coming up and are going on a halibut trip on a thursday in august. If it dosent come out until may i would tell them to try to change it to friday so they will have a halibut trip for sure instead of a rock fish/salmon trip.
                              I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
                              but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Comment

Originally posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
                                i am sure if i read into it more i would find out but when do they come up with the allocation for the year. reason i ask is my buddies are coming up and are going on a halibut trip on a thursday in august. If it dosent come out until may i would tell them to try to change it to friday so they will have a halibut trip for sure instead of a rock fish/salmon trip.
                                Last year it was posted on March 15th.
                                Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X