This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saltwater Fishing Pics 2018

Show off this year's Alaska saltwater fishing photos!

-Mike
    Michael Strahan
    Site Owner
    Alaska Hunt Consultant
    1 (907) 229-4501

Hopefully posting some pics next week from Cordova sheep bay area. I'm looking for info on that area now if you know of any. Thanks!

Comment

Taped out at 180 lbs. - 70" - but weighed in at "only" 140. Held the Homer Halibut Derby lead for about 5 minutes.
      "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Comment

Good day in June Whittier

Four nice halibut on a very nice day on the water.
        Attached Files

Comment

I think this may be a Shortraker, but I'm not entirely sure how to tell between and Yelloweye/Shortraker/Rougheye.

About a 100-120# butt we let go to make babies.

Comment

I give up!!!!!

Comment

Interesting sonar pic of a successful China Rockfish release. We picked it up at about 100 feet and had drifted to deeper water by the time we got it set up on the release.
              "Miss Mary"
              Kingfisher 2725, twin Yamaha 150's

Comment

Biggest fish off our boat so far. Parents came up from mn and Dad lands a hawg. Went 160#

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
                but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Comment

Beautiful rockfish. Shortrakers are (relatively) easy to tell - look at the gill rakers. The ones on the first gill are significantly shorter than on the subsequent ones - hence, "short" raker. Haven't caught one yet, but have caught a rougheye. I think I took a photo of the gill rakers on that one because I sent the pics to my local fisheries biologist to confirm the species. Will post if I can find the photo.

Comment

Rockfish on a fly.

My favorite salt water catch of 2018. I've been trying to catch a tiger rockfish on a fly for six years. Caught according to IGFA rules for fly fishing.

A 23 pound ling on a 9 wt.

My biggest halibut to date on a fly rod.

And a nice yelloweye on a fly rod.

Comment

do you jig them up with other rods then cast flies at them when they are near the top or do you just let that thing sink forever?
                      I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
                      but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Comment

Originally posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
                        do you jig them up with other rods then cast flies at them when they are near the top or do you just let that thing sink forever?
                        I make my own fly lines (they sink fast) I cast toward the structure and drift toward the cast to allow the fly to sink straight down.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	john big halibut.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	2501420

This was the biggest one caught at the camp this year. This one was over the slot. 326. Tight Lines. HH

Comment

Had calm weather on a couple days during my 2018 trip. Got annual limits of these for both my mom and I. Not sure why, but the average size of sablefish that I catch around KTN is smaller than the ones I've seen in Chatham Strait.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_19181.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	2501676Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_19271.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	2501677

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse