Alaska Wide Open Charters Craig, Alaska

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alaska Wide Open Charters Craig, Alaska

Spent last week on POW island. I was staying on the East side where you can't keep Kings until later in the year but on the West side you can. Joel (270ti on the site) had an opening, so me and my buddies spent the day with Joel. He has a nice operation. Seaworthy clean and comfortable boat. All the gear for the various types of fishing. He worked hard. We got our four halibut, our 20 black bass and our four yellow eye. We were only able to board one legal King. A good day for all. Lotsa good scenery and when I go to POW next year I will try to squeeze in a day with Alaska Wide Open Charters.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by polardds; 05-09-2018, 12:41. Reason: adding photos

Thanks for the write up and it was great meeting you. Still waiting for the kings to show up on the outer coast in good numbers. Had 2 steelhead fisherman yesterday who were staying in Thorne Bay. Worked hard and burned fuel giving the grand tour of Baker and Noyes but only got one king. Hopefully this next set of big tides kicks things off. Lots of feed out there.

Alaska Wide Open Charters
    www.alaskawideopen.com
    907-965-0130

Comment

Are vermillions common around POW? I have never caught one around Yakobi Island where I do most of my bottom fishing.

Big_E

Comment

Originally posted by 270ti View Post
        Thanks for the write up and it was great meeting you. Still waiting for the kings to show up on the outer coast in good numbers. Had 2 steelhead fisherman yesterday who were staying in Thorne Bay. Worked hard and burned fuel giving the grand tour of Baker and Noyes but only got one king. Hopefully this next set of big tides kicks things off. Lots of feed out there.

What a beautiful fish! I haven't caught a king in the salt in so long I forget what it's like....:upset:

Edit.....Naw.......I still remember what it's like! Just really need to do it again....SOON!!!.....lol
        Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Originally posted by vaaler View Post
          Are vermillions common around POW? I have never caught one around Yakobi Island where I do most of my bottom fishing.

Big_E
          Plenty around, hard to target.
          www.alaskawideopen.com
          907-965-0130

Comment

Plenty around, hard to target.
            Interesting. Seems like pretty much the same water to me. I guess it doesn't to the fish? I also caught a canary off
            POW last year, and have never caught one of those up north either.

Thanks,

Big_E

Comment

Way to go, Joel!

Good to see you are up and running.

As a long time ( 20 years, 21 trips ) angling visitor to POW I can for vouch 270ti fishing prowess. He has been the top captain at the lodge i have been gong to each fall for the last 20 years. If he doesn't put someone on fish - they ain't there.

We went out together for a shakedown run on his new boat last fall. Good times. We weren't chasing Kings since the season was over and I was there for halibut and rockfish.

Got 'er done.

Some decent wind blew in so we up anchored and got leeward of an island and set up. Took a bit to get the scent trail going and right before calling it a day....all three rods went down.

Up came two decent eating size halibut and one big mama...glad I didn't have to spend the better part of an hour hauling up a 170# flattie on a salmon rod. But Joel's buddy was up to the task.

We all voted to release her. The other fish are tasting good!

The Kings will be there soon and Alaska Wide Open Charters knows where to find them!

Comment

Thanks for the kind words. Kings are certainly here at the moment. Hesitate to say they are here to stay with the low abundance year.
                www.alaskawideopen.com
                907-965-0130

Comment

Thanks for the kind words. Kings are certainly here at the moment. Hesitate to say they are here to stay with the low abundance year.
                  1 a day for residents this year?
                  In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Comment

Originally posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
                    1 a day for residents this year?
                    Joel can clarify if this is wrong.

Here is the basic for non-residents - meaning the guests at the lodge I go to each year.

So for sure -Kings, Yelloweye and Halibut limits changed from last year.

This is from the lodge owner who sent out this to his client list via email.

Alaska department of fish and game set the following limits and size restrictions for this upcoming season due to low index numbers.

• King salmon 1 per day 3 in possession May 1 - June 31. July 1 to December 31, 1 King salmon..
                    • Silver salmon at 6 per day no possession limit.
                    • Halibut one per day 38" and under or 80" and over.
                    • Ling Cod slot size to 30" - 45" limit 1 per season 30-45, 1 over 55"
                    • Yellow eye 1 per season closed after August 1st.
                    • Black Sea Bass 5 per day

From the O-fishul regs

• The bag and possession limit (resident and nonresident) is one king salmon 28 inches or greater in length;
                    • For nonresidents, annual harvest limits and recording requirements apply as follows:
                      • From January 1 through June 30, the annual limit is three king salmon 28 inches or greater in length;
                      • From July 1 through December 31, the annual limit is one king salmon, 28 inches or greater in length, and king salmon harvested from January 1 through June 30 will apply toward the one fish annual limit:
                      • Immediately upon landing and retaining a king salmon a nonresident must enter the species, date and location, in ink, on the back of their sport fishing license or harvest record.

Comment

1 per day residents. Carolina Boy has it right for non-res.

Its back to grinding for Kings but still getting limits. Nice ones today.
                      www.alaskawideopen.com
                      907-965-0130

Comment

Had a group of two for the last three days. Limits of kings in about an hour. Halibut fishing is unusually tough for this time of the year. Hopefully they show up on this set of tides.
                        www.alaskawideopen.com
                        907-965-0130

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X