Kachemak Bay Chicken Holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by homerdave View Post
    When I want a chicken I usually troll right on the bottom with an "Abe-and-Al" flasher and a hoochie.... when I get a few releases or catch a keeper I stop and toss jigs. My go-to spots are off the ice rink where it's marked "
    "Archimandritof shoals" to the Main Street hole.
    THanks, that would definitely be doable in an inflatable if its calm or light Northeasters. I think if we dont make it across the bay, we'll try that western side of the spit.

Comment

Originally posted by Meathead View Post
      THanks, that would definitely be doable in an inflatable if its calm or light Northeasters. I think if we dont make it across the bay, we'll try that western side of the spit.
      Buddy got a nice #50 in 45' off Main Street yesterday. You just gotta stick it out, keep a good scent trail in the water and fish through a whole tide.
      Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
      http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Comment

Originally posted by homerdave View Post
        Buddy got a nice #50 in 45' off Main Street yesterday. You just gotta stick it out, keep a good scent trail in the water and fish through a whole tide.
        Thanks Homer Dave. Went out Tuesday and fished Tutka bay, Sadie cove and around the spit. Caught about 30 Irish lords and about a dozen pollock. Hooked one small ping pong paddle halibut but released that one. Ill try the main street hole on friday or saturday. Saw quit a few Kings get hooked op at the hole during incoming tide though

Comment

The hole has begun to produce. My boy got a nice #40 but at the red nun off Macdonald spit. On light tackle while he was prospecting for rockfish.

Comment

Originally posted by FishGod View Post
            I saw some nice halibut caught the other day between 50-90 pounds off of the Bluffs in 50 feet of water.
            You must have saw me...we had some nice fish but didn't limit. Was it at the lagoon tables?

Comment

Try anchoring up on the east side Yukon in about 130' of water. Approx 200-300 yards off where the kyak tours stage up. I have yet to be skunked at this spot. The big plus is tide, current and wind isn't really an issue here so as long it is good enough weather to get across K bay, you can anchor up and fish as long as you like. We got a 30# out of here last week and an bunch of 20s.

I also like gull island. There is a nice shelf on the west side about 400 yards west of the island and a little south. If you are in the kelp, you are too close to the island. We pulled a 30 out of here last week too along with other 20s. 15 mins from harbor is nice but you are more exposed to wind, current and tide here.

Neither of these are 'quick limits' like compass rose or off anchor point but great places to fish if you prefer fishing opposed to burning fuel.

Comment

I'm a "small boat" guy as well, but did pretty good in Tutka last July/Aug. Head in until you hit the deep drop off and anchor up with good scent. Like others have said, the fishing wont be as fast, but we picked up a few 15-20 pounders sitting over a few tides. It's also beautiful back in there. Good luck!

Comment

I hope this isn't a necro thread buy we're in Homer right now and have my new 10 ft zodiac and would like to try for some smallish halibut and silvers close by. I don't have a fishfinder or anything so I'm going blind sort of. There's no.way I'm going out too.far with the family but that ice rink spot sounds doable ..how far off shore is that spot? Where could I troll for silvers near the spit? Thanks for any info.
                  Mark

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Comment

We used to pick up silvers many years ago in Mud Bay trolling with banana weights and T-spoons, the lure of the day back then. I'm not sure if they still come in there or the timing, but it's protected and not far from the marina. Good luck!

Comment

You're not going anywhere today in a 10' zodiac!!!!

Comment

Not quite a chicken hole, but found this one last week.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Thankful for all the info! I have spent a lot of gas money scratching out a few holes, nothing secret. Compass rose was my first success. I would love to find some quicker runs.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X