No announcement yet.

What are your thoughts on UV and Glow for Halibut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shine a blacklight on a jig with UV enhancers.
    Then one without.
    You'll see what UV reflection is.
    I never used to put UV enhancers on my jigs. But people asked about it alot including the owner of this site and some top notch fishermen who are members here.
    I started adding the UV enhancer on everything possible because customers wanted it.
    I don't have the time or money to scientifically prove whether or not it works.
    But I do know that jigs I put it on out fish other jigs on the market today!
    Is the UV enhancer a part of that or just hype? I sure couldn't answer that.
    But it can't hurt.
    I do know that glow jigs often outfish non glow jigs.
    Why would a halibut bypass herring and octopus baits to hit a jig that is stationary? Something there is attracting them other than smell,motion and/or taste.
    Why does a jig without bait sometimes outfish one with bait on it?
    Here's the story I got.
    A person fishing one of my jigs was not catching fish while others did. This lasted a few hours. The bait was removed and that jig immediately caught a fish. Now obviously the bait was affecting the jigs action.
    But why would a bouncing jig with real fish bait not work until the bait was removed? I mean it had to have smelled and tasted better before the bait was removed.
    Believe in UV enhancers or not I'm going to keep adding them to my fishing jigs I make and sell. If you don't like UV enhancers don't put them on your jigs or buy jigs without them.
    Most of those made in China jigs don't have UV enhancers and I'd wager good money my jig with UV will out fish it anyday of the week and twice on Sunday.
    Maybe it's not the UV that's working so well but for the cost I'm not leaving it out.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

Originally posted by bkmail View Post
      Your jigs out fish everything else Chris. As you mentioned, we have idle rods in the holder with one of your cook inlet candy jigs. Three other rods are actively fishing different bait and/or lures and yours will get hammered, over, and over, and over again. No doubt in my mind the glo and UV blast work.
      Better get to work, we could use more 'cause I keep sharing mine and no one gives them back, lol!!

Thanks Chris!
      Bk
      Thanks Brian!
      They do work well that much I know.
      Is the UV enhancer part of the reason?
      Well for the cost I can't see leaving it off.
      There's just too many variables in fishing that I want to give myself and others the greatest chance possible.
      Then again the less people using these jigs means more fish left in the ocean for me to catch.[emoji23]

Comment

Firm believer in UV enhancement as well as glow. After testing quite a bit of stuff I know for a fact that both have their uses...UV when the sun is out or fairly bright day and glow for low light. This is based on bottom fish. My glow hoochies out perform the rest any given day for salmon.
        sigpic

Heavy Hitter Fishing
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Comment

where are you finding this glow and uv stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by Chez View Post
            where are you finding this glow and uv stuff?
            For me it is in the powder paint I put on when I make the jigs.
            Glow has to be put on when a jig or lure is made or repainted.
            The UV I use is a clear coat powder paint as well.
            The ones I use are expensive but very good quality.
            You can get UV sprays if you can find someone who's willing to ship it.
            Maybe Cabela's or Basspro in Anchorage carry it?
            Not sure how well the sprays last or if they are as good as the clear coats though.
            I'd make you some jigs with UV and Glow but I'm no longer selling jigs.
            If you want to check some out send me a PM and I could probably arrange for you to check out what I use at my shop in Soldotna.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
              For me it is in the powder paint I put on when I make the jigs.
              Glow has to be put on when a jig or lure is made or repainted.
              The UV I use is a clear coat powder paint as well.
              The ones I use are expensive but very good quality.
              You can get UV sprays if you can find someone who's willing to ship it.
              Maybe Cabela's or Basspro in Anchorage carry it?
              Not sure how well the sprays last or if they are as good as the clear coats though.
              I'd make you some jigs with UV and Glow but I'm no longer selling jigs.
              If you want to check some out send me a PM and I could probably arrange for you to check out what I use at my shop in Soldotna.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk
              PM Sent......

Comment

I've always found when the fishing is slower, I get more hits on anything that has either glow tube on the leader or a glow skirt. When they are schooled up under you it really doesn't matter.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                Working...
                X