Winter in Homer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter in Homer

Third weekend with the boat in the harbor. I'm so hooked on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nice!! just a small one for us this weekend but the sunrise was amazing!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
      nice!! just a small one for us this weekend but the sunrise was amazing!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
      looked like an armada of yaks on sunday!!!
      saw you headed back down this morning??

nice harbor pic
      www.polebendersfishing.com

Comment

Originally posted by POLE BENDER View Post
        looked like an armada of yaks on sunday!!!
        saw you headed back down this morning??

nice harbor pic
        Sunday was a bummer. Water was murky everywhere and downright dirty in the spots I like to fish. The entire armada had the same results. Solid takedowns, bigger fish tugging, but only fish that were bigger than what i could call typical shakers but still only about 4 or 5 pounds were landed. Very odd in-between size fish.

So its was a bummer in a way, but if someone told me I could pull out a 3 pound fish that ate as well as these kings ice fishing, I' like be staring down a hole over a couple feet of ice freezing my butt off trying to catch it!!! So being able to do it on open water off a kayak is a bonus!

Comment

Catching kings and seeing whales is so run of the mill this season it's like saying "I took the boat out". Phenomenal fall/winter on the bay!
          Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
          http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Comment

Originally posted by homerdave View Post
            Catching kings and seeing whales is so run of the mill this season it's like saying "I took the boat out". Phenomenal fall/winter on the bay!
            Well the great run seems to be over by the spit. Still fish to be had. It was AWESOME in October.

I have a question for the veterans here. One unusual aspect of this year is that int he past 4 years or so I have been hitting this fishery, it has always been sandlances inside the fish this time of year. Well the first time I had seen sandlances was last Sunday so I thought something might be changing. But this weeks fish had nothing but what i think are small herring. Has anyone noticed a signficant change in the feed the fish are targeting this year versus year prior or is it just near the spit where I fish?

Comment

Kardinal 84,

Was on a bait ball 2 weeks ago that was all the way to the surface and it was small herring like you have in the picture. most kings had both tiny herring and sand lances in them full up. Some of the herrings were still alive a wiggling when we caught the kings.

Amazing!
              sigpic"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." Doug Larson

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	2495162Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 2.jpg
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	2495163
                sigpic"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." Doug Larson

Comment

Last fish of the day Sunday was marbled white blush.

Comment

Originally posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
                    Well the great run seems to be over by the spit. Still fish to be had. It was AWESOME in October.

I have a question for the veterans here. One unusual aspect of this year is that int he past 4 years or so I have been hitting this fishery, it has always been sandlances inside the fish this time of year. Well the first time I had seen sandlances was last Sunday so I thought something might be changing. But this weeks fish had nothing but what i think are small herring. Has anyone noticed a signficant change in the feed the fish are targeting this year versus year prior or is it just near the spit where I fish?

This article has good discussion on unusual appearance juvenile herring in KBay.

http://homertribune.com/2015/11/whal...ecord-numbers/

Comment

Gearing up for another shot this weekend. How cold is too cold to fish K-Bay? Light winds and temps in the 20's still sounds ok to me!!

Comment

When ya gotta start pounding ice off the windows and down riggers, its time for most to call it quits
                        www.polebendersfishing.com

Comment

You got a heated cabin? That makes a 10 difference.!
                          Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
                          http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Comment

Heat in the cabin, but not gonna go into any freezing spray that's for sure.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2881[1].jpg
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	2495210Freezing spray warning this AM was terrible! you should all definitely haul your boats out for the winter F/V Huntress 11-13-15

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
                              Attached Files

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X