Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bkbaker View Post
    Anyone know where I can get a couple guides fixed on my mooching rods?
    Replacing guides is really not difficult. You should just do it yourself. I'd do it for you, or show you how if we weren't 8 hours distant.

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

• Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
      Replacing guides is really not difficult. You should just do it yourself. I'd do it for you, or show you how if we weren't 8 hours distant.
      I have wrapped several rods in the past and recently replaced a couple guides. Not difficult at all, but sure a lot easier when you have been doing it, and are set up for it. Such as having the proper set up to spin the rod as you wrap the thread on. When only replacing the couple guides I did it without the use of a jig to roll the rod, but it worked.
      Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

• Super easy to replace guides. Get guides, rod thread, rod varnish, and a sharp blade (like a razor blade). File the guide feet down to a taper, and then use thin strips of masking tape to secure. Place thread between the pages of a nice heavy book to provide tension while you wrap, and then start wrapping. When done, coat thread with rod varnish.
        Here's a video that shows how easy it is.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq3aK9zhyus&t=85s

Comment

• Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post

I have wrapped several rods in the past and recently replaced a couple guides. Not difficult at all, but sure a lot easier when you have been doing it, and are set up for it. Such as having the proper set up to spin the rod as you wrap the thread on.
          Undoubtedly true. But I've built several custom rods from scratch and never used anything so fancy as a jig, or even a heavy book as Bob is recommending. I can testify that it's possible to do top-shelf work without any fancy equipment. Granted, I built those rods a long time ago (I still have a bunch of winding thread on wooden spools), so maybe we hadn't invented the fancy jigs yet.

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
          I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
          The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

• Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
            Mike at 3 Rivers Tackle in Wasiila could wrap those for you. Or Google a rod builder in Anchorage.

Comment

• Has anyone heard any reports from the bluffs on fishing or anything else closer? Might give it a go this weekend if weather cooperates. Thxs for any info.

Comment

• Amazing day in KBay today. Great friend is leaving the state. He’s had some good days in Homer winter king fishing. Unfortunately he had been in a biggg skunk streak with me. Boom! Streak broken! Beauty day! Today was a day that keeps me coming back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Small weather window let us get into some solid fishing today. We still have Wednesday to go and look for some more.

Comment

• Unbelievable day. 10 kings to the boat. More than half were
                    about 6#’s.

Comment

• I need to go catch a Winter King limit.
                      Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

• Monday the 2d.
                        Note to self: Don't argue with idiots, it just beings you down to their level where they overwhelm you with their more extensive experience in being an idiot.... and, you can't fix stupid!

Comment

• Has anyone been trolling the eldred passage area? I dont care about the kings I was wondering if you have been seeing any ducks around there.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
                          but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Comment

• Great day fishing off the bluffs. Lost a couple nice fish today. Still feeling the pain of loss.

Comment

• Excellent photos. We love looking at them - they bring back memories.

Thank you for sharing.

Comment

• I used to use the Homer Harbor webcam to get a sense of the weather and ice in the harbor. Anybody else seeing a picture from May? https://www.homerwebcams.com/

In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea
                                _________________________________________________

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X