lead head jigs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lead head jigs

wondering if anybody has any tricks when pouring your own lead head jigs in 16&24oz how to get it to fill the cavity all the way so you get a good spike so the grubtail cant slip right off. i can get the heads to come out fine just wondering if you can really preheat the j hook to the point where it might get brittle......

thanks!!!

I cut the lead barb off so the tail will not split. To get the barb to fill when pouring make sure the mold is hot first. Best of luck

Comment

Have you tried a drop of super glue to hold the grub on? I am not in as cold a place as you are but it works well here.

Comment

Use some Drop Out spray from frankfort Arsenal. It is a miracle product for mold issues.
        http://www.midwayusa.com/product/763...e-6-oz-aerosol
        Also pre-warm your hooks. Not super hot but just hot enough you can still put them in with your bare hands at the hottest.
        Too bad your in Juneau. If you lived closer to Slodotna I would help you figure this out in my jig making workshop.
        "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

I have found besides making sure the mold is hot, to tip the mold when I begin pouring so the part where the barb is located fills first.

Comment

toyed around with it last night, wasn't getting it hot enough, ended up making 42 last night, ready for summer!!! anybody know where to find boneyard grubs?

Comment

one thing more the lead has a temp that is quite a wide range after it is melted the higher the better, in making weights,
              this goes along with the temp of the mold , great going enjoy your fishing SID roud:

Comment

Definitely temperature.......I use a used hook set up and pour one or two to get the mold hot, then once I'm pouring I keep pouring with all the hooks and eyes set up and ready to go and crank em out, gets better the more and faster you pour, But I had the same problem first few times. YOu can also use a butane torch to heat both plates immediatley before your first pour.

So 16 and 24 oz lead heads in Juneau?........I use 8's and some 12's if current is an issue, down to 350-400 feet? You are strong my friend However, if you want to trade some of your 16's for a pair of 8's I'd be amenable as I've got lots and lots of 8's (with the large hook though, modified the mold), and I like to have a few of the big ones on board.

I wouldn't sweat the boneyards....expensive. Between western auto and Freddies or Harri's there is usually someone selling decent tails (storm, Kahlins, berkeley) for less or at 2 bucks a tail. Largely I've gotten tired of donating plastic and I use the big squid tubes from Western Auto. They last a loooong time adn I don't see any catch difference. Rockfish and arrow tooth don't do nearly the damage to the squids.

Comment

Originally posted by vermilion View Post
                  toyed around with it last night, wasn't getting it hot enough, ended up making 42 last night, ready for summer!!! anybody know where to find boneyard grubs?
                  http://www.outkastfishingtackle.com/category_s/439.htm
                  sigpic

Heavy Hitter Fishing
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Comment

i run one of the charter boats around town i use lighter..... heavier weights fish straight up and down wayyyyyy better

Comment

I'd imagine on a charter you are right, but I largely backtroll and jig\drift.......I go as light in lead and rod as I can. Trevala's and Avet's

I'm still up for a trade if you ever need 8's. 2 for one......heck, I'd probably even go three for one as I've got enough 8's for a charter boat myself!

Comment

...lead head jigs in 16&24oz how to get it to fill the cavity all the way so you get a good spike so the grubtail cant slip right off....
                        The key in addition to a hot mold and hot lead is a fast pour. You want one that holds 2# of lead at a minimum and 3# or 4# is better. Pour that mold full and do it fast.
                        "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
                        Merle Haggard

Comment

anybody know where to find boneyard grubs?
                          i just recently heard that boneyard was no more, but that they were bought by someone who is hoping to resurrect them.... Some Homer charter guys may know more.
                          Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
                          http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Comment

Originally posted by homerdave View Post
                            i just recently heard that boneyard was no more, but that they were bought by someone who is hoping to resurrect them.... Some Homer charter guys may know more.
                            Got similar intel as well. Their site is up but have never purchased anything online from them.
                            sigpic

Heavy Hitter Fishing
                            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Comment

Originally posted by MGH55 View Post
                              I cut the lead barb off so the tail will not split. To get the barb to fill when pouring make sure the mold is hot first. Best of luck
                              Concise and to the point, the barbs just cause the tails to split, and the key to getting any mold to properly fill out is to make sure the mold is pre-heated. A quick way to pre-heat a lead head mold is to cast up several lead heads w/o hooks, and once they start filling out, add the hooks and eyes and crank them out.

One trick for keeping the soft bodies from getting torn up when threading the hook through is to heat up a 1/4" dia rod or screwdriver with a torch and melt a hole into the body of the grub or shad.
                              Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X