Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Juneau Fishing

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Juneau Fishing

    I was out today, 12 Sept., didn't see a soul for the entire day. We went for halibut to get a few in the freezer for winter.

    We've done OK on the salmon here and there from Echo to Pt. Retreat over the summer. We've tired a few spots that were recommended for halibut but the only giver has been Vanderbilt.
    Anyone else out lately?


  • #2
    Last time I was out was last weekend. Caught a nice king and two coho on the back side of Douglas island. The king was in 40 feet of water.
    For halibut, we have been going to Icy Straight. Sisters Island has been treating us well.
    Did you catch any coho today? I have a lot if halibut, but a little light on salmon right now.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by akspudus View Post
      Last time I was out was last weekend. Caught a nice king and two coho on the back side of Douglas island. The king was in 40 feet of water.
      For halibut, we have been going to Icy Straight. Sisters Island has been treating us well.
      Did you catch any coho today? I have a lot if halibut, but a little light on salmon right now.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      We were out this AM at Amalga. Fog wasn't bad at first but not clear enough to head out to Vanderbilt so we trolled between the Shrine and Eagle Beach to kill time. We ended up bringing one female King to the boat, she wasn't ready to spawn at all. Lost 2 more and then the hammer fell with the fog. We couldn't see 100' in any direction so we S-L-O-W-L-Y made our way back to the launch. I think I'm going to invest in two spot lights so others can see me better and radar. Reason for lights I saw a couple boats running them and they stood out better than navigation lights. We ran the nav lights and so were they but those bright white lights were very visible.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by akspudus View Post
        Last time I was out was last weekend. Caught a nice king and two coho on the back side of Douglas island. The king was in 40 feet of water.
        For halibut, we have been going to Icy Straight. Sisters Island has been treating us well.
        Did you catch any coho today? I have a lot if halibut, but a little light on salmon right now.


        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Sisters is practically in Hoonah, I think he was more interested in the fishing around Juneau

        Comment


        • #5
          Yeah...Sisters is almost Hoonah for sure. 1 1/2 hour steam. But, I've only been skunked twice down there...most if the time we get out limit. So...worth the steam for me.
          20 years ago we would do the same thing off of South Shelter, Barlow Point or Hump Island. Now a days you might get one or two there. This year was pretty good though...I've heard of a lot more halibut being caught closer to town.


          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

          Comment


          • #6
            Big Butts near Town

            Today's Empire has an article about the 330# butt caught on the BSD.

            Click image for larger version

Name:	13724154.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	2492783

            http://juneauempire.com/outdoors/201...ephine-and-sea

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by L. G. View Post
              Today's Empire has an article about the 330# butt caught on the BSD.

              [ATTACH=CONFIG]80876[/ATTACH]

              http://juneauempire.com/outdoors/201...ephine-and-sea

              Yuck. 330lbs of garbage halibut. They must be proud I'm sure.

              Comment


              • #8
                At least it won't be breeding more junk halibut.

                Comment


                • #9
                  What does this mean?

                  "At least it won't be breeding more junk halibut."

                  My neighbor is a wild life officer and educated as a fisheries biologist (better employment as a LEO), & he recommends returning a the big halibut so the can breed, especially here in our area. We're not rich in halibut like Homer and PWS so breeders are important to our area.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Sorry, hard to decipher sarcasm related to the post immediately above.

                    Basically the same thing you just said but in a lazier way.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by akspudus View Post
                      Yeah...Sisters is almost Hoonah for sure. 1 1/2 hour steam. But, I've only been skunked twice down there...most if the time we get out limit. So...worth the steam for me.
                      Do you usually fish the Sister's hump or the islands? I usually make a drop on the hump for a "dinner halibut" on my way west.

                      Big_E

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        There are lots of humps around Sisters. Depends on the weather and tides, but I usually fish the humps.


                        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by mike h View Post
                          Sorry, hard to decipher sarcasm related to the post immediately above.

                          Basically the same thing you just said but in a lazier way.
                          Yeah, I wasn't being sarcastic.

                          Comment

                          Footer Adsense

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X