Shrimp season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shrimp season

Overall, how has the shrimping/crabbing been this summer?

It was the best season I've had. Just shy of 4700 in 3 trips.

Comment

Crabbing has been great this year in SE Alaska. Saw 100+ crab in just over an hour of diving last weekend. Many in only 6' of water. I haven't been out shrimping yet myself; but I know some guys who went out last weekend and had 68 quart bags of tails; I think 90lbs or so.

Comment

Originally posted by 4whlr View Post
        It was the best season I've had. Just shy of 4700 in 3 trips.
        And this is why the ADFG need to put seasonal limits on the shrimp in PWS.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullelkklr View Post
          And this is why the ADFG need to put seasonal limits on the shrimp in PWS.
          And yes, I am Jealous.

Comment

Bullelkklr, why is that a problem? That is enough to feed my family shrimp once a week for the year. No different than killing a caribou. And it's taken me 10 years to have a year like this. And I would much rather eat shrimp than caribou.

Comment

Some people kill the heck out of shrimp, and others don't. Don't blame the guys who have it figured out. How many dorks set their pots in 600 feet of water with 600 feet of line and cry about someone stealing their pots.

There is no shortage of shrimp in PWS.

Good on ya 4whlr. Get it while you can.
              In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Comment

What defines a "shortage" of shrimp?

Comment

Originally posted by Frostbitten View Post
                  What defines a "shortage" of shrimp?
                  Good question. I don't think there is a shortage. The shortage is people who know how to properly catch em.

Comment

I think some of the popular areas are getting cleaned out. One area I have been hitting for three years used to yield five gallon of big fat shrimp now gives two gallons of just big enough to not fall thru the mesh on my pot shrimp. Have to move around and find new spots to find shrimp.
                    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by 4whlr View Post
                      Bullelkklr, why is that a problem? That is enough to feed my family shrimp once a week for the year. No different than killing a caribou. And it's taken me 10 years to have a year like this. And I would much rather eat shrimp than caribou.
                      I am too lazy to count and don't have OCD, so I just keep track of my harvest by the gallon. How many shrimp are in a gallon? Kind of nice getting enough shrimp for the year in a trip or two, eh? Nicely done.
                      sigpicSpending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by JR2 View Post
                        I think some of the popular areas are getting cleaned out. One area I have been hitting for three years used to yield five gallon of big fat shrimp now gives two gallons of just big enough to not fall thru the mesh on my pot shrimp. Have to move around and find new spots to find shrimp.
                        agreed with that. I fished a spot all to myself for 3 years, took as many as I wanted and always plenty there. Went this year and there were close to 20 pots there. Got blanked on two sets. Unbelievable.

Comment

I going to have to remember this thread the next time someone bashes the commercial guys for ruining the shrimping in PWS!

Comment

Spoiled One, my best set was 305 shrimp. They were decent size, and almost filled a 5 gallon bucket, so figure it would take 65 whole shrimp to make a gallon. Tail wise, around 30 average size is a pound.

tlingitwarrior, thanks man. Its taken a while to figure it out, or I just got lucky this year. I have shrimped this spot before and never came anywhere close to these numbers. I think areas very from year to year.

Kodiak kid, what does this thread have to do with bashing commercial guys? They got like 66k lbs this year? So that comes up to 1,980,000 shrimp give or take. So that equates to 440 boats taking 4500+ shrimp each. My guess is that the average boater takes less than 1000 a year. That would mean 1980 (more or less) boats to equal the commercial quota, so who do you think takes the most? I would like to see what the actual #'s are. Does ADF&G publish the results of the harvest records?

Comment

about 3000 rec permits issued in PWS every year ! One of my better days shrimping was about 4500 bugs.
                              sigpic
                              Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
                              Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
                              Ropes, Buoys, Bait
                              alaskashrimppots.com
                              akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
                              907 775 1692

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...