18/0 Halibut Hook Thru My Finger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18/0 Halibut Hook Thru My Finger

Out fishing 2 1/2 weeks ago and was attempting to remove the leader from a 115 lb halibut while it was harpooned and tied off to my boat. It came back to life and one of my sticky sharp hooks entered my index finger mid-way and came out the tip.
    Just happened to have a video camera running for the entirity of the fish coming in, the "hooking" and me trying to file away the barb to remove it.
    Maybe if you watch you will learn some of what NOT to do!
    Enjoy
    http://youtu.be/9W2BQYbeVuE
    John
    www.alaskaadventurejournal.com

Break out the bolt cutter.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Comment

As bad as that was, you could have been this guy.

Comment

What a joke.....are you kidding me....ridiculous.....

Comment

dude wth, your nuts! Let me just file this hook down.
          Diamond Justice MO 70lbs
          Shut-up And Hunt

Comment

Originally posted by TeXXaN View Post
            dude wth, your nuts! Let me just file this hook down.

I had to work with what I had! HaHa
            I've kept that hook as a souvenir.

Probably will add bolt cutters to the boat along with all the other crap we carry that weighs us down. We carry a body stapler on board too, in the first aid kit, but haven't needed it yet.
            John

Comment

Didn't they have a place in Seward to stich it up? or were you heading home to Anchorage anyway? I put a 12/0 hook through the top of my hand but my buddy was able to cut the hook off and we just backed it out. Never had to do anything other than a band aid. I was lucky!

Comment

Holy cow man!!! You are one tough dude!! Awesome!!! You are the kind of guy I love to fish with, nothing can stop you from staying out there!!

Comment

Originally posted by kgpcr View Post
                  Didn't they have a place in Seward to stich it up? or were you heading home to Anchorage anyway? I put a 12/0 hook through the top of my hand but my buddy was able to cut the hook off and we just backed it out. Never had to do anything other than a band aid. I was lucky!
                  Yeah, thought about stopping at the Seward or Soldotna ER, but I knew Anchorage had a hand surgeon on call. Home is Sterling. I didn't have a simple puncture. The halibut thrashed and the entry tore. I wasn't sure if there was tendon damage. The biggest part of the decision was that the same hand had already had surgery on it before for an infection from a bear cleaning "incident" six years ago.

We stayed out and fished 4 more hours, ER Doc said kind of a bad decision! He said guidelines are not to stitch if greater than 6 hours past the injury. So..he stitched anyway, but loosely to let it drain.
                  John

Comment

Good work! Now you know to just unsnap the leader. Col oto watch you handle to surgery and maintain the calm so others didn't freak out.:topjob:
                    sigpic

Heavy Hitter Fishing
                    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Comment

Wack him in the head a couple fo times next time and they quit thrashing
                      Life's too short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
                      Kodiak, AK
                      www.alaska-fish.com
                      https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Comment

I have a pair of snap on cable clips... That cut thur that like butter. I'll post the item number later tonight. Are half the size of your cutters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Comment

Tough lesson I learned after burying a treble hook in the palm of my hand trying to dispatch a ling cod. Before removing any hook I make sure the hooked fish is completely and most certainly of the dead variety!
                          In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Comment

Originally posted by akmike30 View Post
                            I have a pair of snap on cable clips... That cut thur that like butter. I'll post the item number later tonight. Are half the size of your cutters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            I want to see them!!!!
                            John

Comment

On big halibut I put a rope on them and tie them in a C with head towards tail so they cant thrash. Cleat them and put them overboard with a gill cut. I use a small piece of PVC pipe with a loop on one end for the tail, then slip the open end of rope folded over open end of pipe, through the gill plate and out mouth. Remove pipe and tie halibut into a C. And cleat it then you can remove hooks safely. Using the pipe keeps your hands away from teeth and hooks.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X