Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kodiak this Sunday (8/24)! Seeking advice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BrownBear
    replied
    Originally posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    We had terrible weather a few days but there seems to be shelter and good fishing virtually no matter which way the wind blows.
    You guys did it right. The beauty of the kayaks is that you can launch them almost anywhere and take advantage of the lees. With a trailer boat you're pretty well stuck with launch ramps and prevailing winds and seas. Even when you're set up for beach launching like we are, there aren't all that many suitable beaches for each wind direction.

Great job on the cost sharing, too. Guys oughta take notes.

Leave a comment:

• Kardinal_84
    replied
    Ferry. Roughly 150 per person and 360 per vehicle under 19 ft round trip. Not bad if you split the vehicle 3 or 4 ways. We put kayaks on top of vehicle so no extra charge. So for 5 of us and two vehicles it totaled about 1600 for the ferry. We rented a house for about 1400. So the housing and transpiration to island was 3 grand or 600 per person. Cheap for a week of unguided fishing.

I'll write a better report later. Waiting to get on ferry. But Kodiak is awesome. We had terrible weather a few days but there seems to be shelter and good fishing virtually no matter which way the wind blows.

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.

Leave a comment:

• ulflyfish
    replied
    Rudy...how did you get your kayak over to Kodiak? Fly or ferry? Expensive? Thanks...ulff

Leave a comment:

• carolinaboy
    replied
    Avast boys! Harpoon that whale!.......she's sounding!...............hold fast!

Great job, Rudy!

Looking forward to more and shopping for a dry suit! heh, heh. Geez, they be spendy.

Leave a comment:

• BrownBear
    replied
    Gotter done. Excellent!

Don't think I'll be showing my wife that little video clip though. She's sold on the kayaks after being around you guys, but her vision of fishing from them is lots tamer.

Leave a comment:

• Kardinal_84
    replied
    Thanks Carolinaboy!! Here's a teaser until I can get back home....
    http://youtu.be/vIqatYddHxk

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com

Leave a comment:

• carolinaboy
    replied
    WOW, Rudy! You did it! BIG CONGRATS!

My yak fishing is in 70 plus degree waters...but after seeing this it sure makes me want to get a dry suit and rent a yak up there next month.

Hope the trip home is a safe one and looking forward very much to seeing your YT vids and pics on this trip.

again....way to go!

Steve

Leave a comment:

• Kardinal_84
    replied
    Holy Moly....

Catching Big fish is ALWAYS fun! But to set out and accomplish the goal of breaking 100 pounds from my Kayak! I thought would take me years, makes it extra special. Hope to have a better report coming after I get back this weekend. 59.75 inches!!!!!!! 59"=103.1lbs and 60"= 108.9 lbs!!!

I hope to have some video and better report coming after I get back home!!!

Thanks again to all of the forum members from Kodiak who gave us advice. This is what I think this forum is all about!! Some gave us general to more detail locations, other gave us general advice about tides and weather. We went out and got skunked a few days, did great on others. And a lot of our groups success came from those willing to share some of that information. I CANNOT THANK YOU ALL ENOUGH!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo%u00252B%u00252847%u002529.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	2492611

Leave a comment:

• Kardinal_84
    replied
    Originally posted by Abel View Post
    Ya, not a bad little spot over there is it??
    Yah Baby! All of you guys here on Kodiak have been AWESOME! Its hard learning new spots, but when you can come to a place as diverse as Kodiak and hit the fish we have been fortunate enough to hit, it's really because of the local intel. Brownbear put me on a spot that I would have NEVER fished and I managed to troll up two halibut out of Kalsin after we flailed and failed day one.

So thanks to all of you guys..Abel, Brownbear and Kodiak Combo for making this trip just a killer adventure! Headed back out today. Amazingly we have kayak fished every day since Monday despite the variable weather!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Abel
    replied
    Ya, not a bad little spot over there is it??

Leave a comment:

• kodiakcombo
    replied
    Wow! congratulations on a great adventure.

Leave a comment:

• carolinaboy
    replied
    Nice catches! The close cropped pic of you hoisting the halibut is a Magazine Cover Photo for sure! Well done and thanks for sharing. Keep 'em coming!

Leave a comment:

• Kardinal_84
    replied
    Just a quick update. Fishing new spots has been tough. But thanks to helpful folks including people on this forum, we have managed a few fish.

Leader is 61 pounds. A pretty good bite going for Halibut. I've managed limits on two of the four days. Nothing huge but 25 to 30lbs avg.

Hers one of the decent fish. Maybe 35 pounds. One of the few pics with sunshine.

The leading weekly fish at 61lbs caught by another kayak angler in our group.

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com

Leave a comment:

• Kardinal_84
    replied
    Thx carolinaboy! As long as the fish and weather cooperate, I think we should have a pretty decent report. Headed out with a crew of kayak fishing website owners and writers. I'll be the guy with the LEAST amount of "evidence recording" devices of the group... And I have two gopros and two cameras. Lol. These guys make me feel like a once a year fisherman!

We have no clue what we are getting into as far as Kodiak, but that's half of the fun. It won't be like fishing your favorite spot that always produces. Kodiak seems huge via kayak. But I'm sure it will be epic no matter how hot or cold the fishing is!!!

Will post as Internet and equipment allows! A few more professional articles should come out as well by the other group members.

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com

Leave a comment:

• carolinaboy
    replied
    I'm sure you don't need the reminder....but some of us are looking forward to the report and especially YOUR videos! Have enjoyed them.

Best of luck to you all this weekend.

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X