Worms in salmon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worms in salmon

Was soaking a fillet in salt water when the wife saw a worm in water.

You'll have that.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

normal, still kinda seems gross but very normal in fish.

Comment

Yup reds can have worms, but fortunately they seem to be confined to the gut cavity for the most part. But (and I'll stir this pot one more time for fun) I never,never have sockeye sushi.

Comment

Originally posted by Onewhohunts View Post
          Was soaking a fillet in salt water when the wife saw a worm in water.
          Cool story bro.

Just kidding.

Salmon have worms in them, usually only in the guts/stomache; round worms usually I think. I've never seen a large worm in a salmon filet. Out of all the fish I've eaten, Lingcod seems to be the wormiest. I've found fairly large worms in lingcod filets...while eating it nonetheless!

Comment

Originally posted by Anythingalaska View Post
            Cool story bro.

Just kidding.

Salmon have worms in them, usually only in the guts/stomache; round worms usually I think. I've never seen a large worm in a salmon filet. Out of all the fish I've eaten, Lingcod seems to be the wormiest. I've found fairly large worms in lingcod filets...while eating it nonetheless!
            Make no mistake about it, salmon have worms in their flesh as well. Cook to an internal temp of 135 or freeze the fillet for a month or so to kill them.

Comment

Originally posted by Frostbitten View Post
              Make no mistake about it, salmon have worms in their flesh as well. Cook to an internal temp of 135 or freeze the fillet for a month or so to kill them.
              Yeah I never eat raw salmon, and always cook it thoroughly. I laugh everytime my friend catches a King salmon and makes fresh 'sashimi' by just putting a little lemon juice and soy sauce on it that he says 'cooks it'. He's going to be regretting it the day he gets sick.

Comment

Raw? Maybe if a person shaved super thin slices and froze them for a week or so. Nope lemon or lime juice ain't gonna do it.

Comment

Smoked Worms

Originally posted by Anythingalaska View Post
                  ...Salmon have worms in them, usually only in the guts/stomache; round worms usually I think. I've never seen a large worm in a salmon filet. Out of all the fish I've eaten, Lingcod seems to be the wormiest. I've found fairly large worms in lingcod filets...while eating it nonetheless!
                  I've only seen the small, about an inch long, worms in a salmon fillet...I, like some others here, prefer to eat them well done, not raw. Though I wonder if cooking them till well done will ( hopefully ) kill the worm eggs they may have? There were some of these small worms in the flesh of the Fish Creek reds, (no large ones in the intestines that I noticed) some came out of the flesh after being in the brine for 12 hours before smoking, others didn't come out till they got hot/cooked in the smoker, and a few that stayed in the flesh for the entire process, yes they looked well done...yummy smoked worms.
                  Looked like these kind of worms.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	anisakis.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	2492441

Comment

Originally posted by Tearbear View Post
                    I've only seen the small, about an inch long, worms in a salmon fillet...I, like some others here, prefer to eat them well done, not raw. Though I wonder if cooking them till well done will ( hopefully ) kill the worm eggs they may have? There were some of these small worms in the flesh of the Fish Creek reds, (no large ones in the intestines that I noticed) some came out of the flesh after being in the brine for 12 hours before smoking, others didn't come out till they got hot/cooked in the smoker, and a few that stayed in the flesh for the entire process, yes they looked well done...yummy smoked worms.
                    Looked like these kind of worms.
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]80098[/ATTACH]
                    Yup, that's them! Cooking the fish until the inside temp of the flesh is at least 135 F will kill them. I always go to at least 150 just to be sure.

Comment

After doing a little research...if you don't like the looks of these worms in your fish fillets, they say that it's best to clean your fish right away, before the worms can migrate into the flesh. Frostbitten is correct, cooking the fish to a certain degree will kill them.

Comment

Contrary to popular belief, the anisakis parasite does not migrate from the gut to the flesh when a fish dies. The fact is, some live in the gut, some live in the flesh.

The long squiggly mass of worms often found in the gut cavity of sockeyes (and other salmon) are a completely different parasite.

Comment

Originally posted by Frostbitten View Post
                          Cook to 145 F.

Comment

Originally posted by AaronP View Post
                            Cook to 145 F.
                            Even better!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tearbear View Post
                              ...they say that it's best to clean your fish right away, before the worms can migrate into the flesh...
                              Well, I read it may prevent some of the worms from migrating, found two different links that mentioned this. At any rate, it doesn't sound very pleasant to harbor 'any' kind of worms in your gut.

http://www.wikihow.com/Prevent-Anisa...asites-in-Fish

http://cid.oxfordjournals.org/content/51/7/806.long

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X