Clear All

• Dispatching A Halibut

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/m...chAHalibut.mp4
    sigpic
    07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Nice fish! The shotgun seems a little over the top though. IMO.

Comment

A lot of people use snake charmers for their halibut hunting. A 410 is not any more energy than a heavy load in my .45LC.

Comment

My old 9 shoot 22 pistol has killed many halibut if hit in the "right spot". I have a 410 Snake Charmer on board but it hurts my ears from the noise.

Comment

personally, i think the 410 is far more efective than a pistol, all the fish i have dispatched with a pistol over the years, the bullet travels right thru the fish, using the 410 all the pellets stay in the fish and very rarely travel thru. to me this means the fish is absorbing all the energy of that shot.
          cant say i have ever had a fish run back to the bottom after bieng shot with the 410, as i have had happen many times with several pistols.
          www.polebendersfishing.com

Comment

The best thing in my opinion is a bang stick. I used a 357 bang stick for years and it's perfect. Quiet effective and safe

Comment

Just got back from a 2-1/2 week trip to Ketchikan ... my brother was adamant that he wanted to shoot the halibut with his revolver before I brought them onboard. I told him that I'm allergic to bullets and that we could do it the 'true' Alaskan way - with a harpoon!

Unfortunately, the biggest halibut we got was about 45#, so no bang needed. Will be interesting the first time we get a truly big halibut to the boat & land it.

Comment

That's one way to take a quick shower!

Last big 'but we hauled up was 150#. The angler wanted to keep it as it was his biggest. I stayed with 60# and under. The bonker on the the boat was a junior aluminum bat. Had very little effect even with well aimed multiple Babe Ruth home run hits. Just made her madder. We shark hooked it to the transom cleat and wailed away until it was subdued. The action was like a berserker, psycho washing machine on thrash cycle. The .410 would have been handy on that one. A full sized hickory bat would have worked, too.

Comment

Harpon and a small plastic bat to the head, never had to do more than that.
                  Life's too short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
                  Kodiak, AK
                  www.alaska-fish.com
                  https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Comment

Originally posted by Abel View Post
                    Harpon and a small plastic bat to the head, never had to do more than that.
                    i actually agree, except an aluminum bat!
                    i have been thru a whole box of shells with the 410 this summer though, , customers love it!!!
                    www.polebendersfishing.com

Comment

I love harpooning fish almost as much as I love shooting them afterwards. It makes me all warm and fuzzy inside!

Comment

I was going to suggest putting some oil on that shotgun, what a rusty mess!

The bang stick is by far the most effective if you need to subdue a large halibut but the bat does a pretty good job on average size fish.

I do carry the .410 though in case I actually catch a fish worthy enough. If I get more serious I will purchase a bang stick, lot less to go wrong.
                        Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Comment

Originally posted by Anythingalaska View Post
                          Nice fish! The shotgun seems a little over the top though. IMO.
                          You can't mess around with those dangerous beasts! They'll sink your boat and then threaten your family. The discussion we should be having is 'Is the 12 gauge enough to stop a charging 200 lb halibut?' I'd use my 416, personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Alaskan expat, civil engineer, FAA consultant.

Comment

I've never had an issue just harpooning a big hali through the gillplate, and letting the blood flow when it thrashes around. They get real calm after a few minutes of no blood.
                            Alaska Wide Open Charters
                            www.alaskawideopen.com
                            907-965-0130

Comment

I don't shoot fish, harpoon in the hump, wack on the head. done it to fish over 300 pounds,never had a problem or lost one. Never understood people that shoot fish. Always thought waving a gun around in six foot seas 40 miles offshore,with 7 people in a confined area was as bad an idea as drinking and shooting.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X