Name that fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name that fish

We caught a few of these out of Homer the other day while fishing for rockfish. My aunt insisted that they were also rockfish but I was skeptical. After filleting them I have no doubt now that they aren't rockfish. They have completely white meat, a different bone structure and are just shaped entirely different. I have searched all over the internet and haven't been able to find a match. So what the hell is it?
    Attached Files
    -

Name that fish

Male kelp greenling. Related to lingcod. ( lingcod are the largest member of the greenling family)
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Comment

Awesome, thanks. So I'm assuming those would be considered "other finfish" therefore there is no bag limit? Are they descent table fare?
      -

Comment

Decent at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

Comment

Pretty good table fate for sure. I target them occasionally. And yes, no limit.

Comment

A nice mild flavor, but a bit on the soft side for my tastes.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian M View Post
              A nice mild flavor, but a bit on the soft side for my tastes.
              I would agree with Brian, but have only tried it a few times. Makes excellent bait though
              Experience is a hard teacher because you get the test first and the lesson afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by kodiakbound View Post
                I would agree with Brian, but have only tried it a few times. Makes excellent bait though
                Ding ding ding ding!!!!!!! We have a winner!

Comment

Hey HomerDave,

Have you ever seen Rock Greenling in the Homer area? Caught a few while I was out in Adak but I don't think I have ever seen them around here.
                  A little more colorful then Kelp Greenling.

Comment

I got a Rock Greenling here in Kodiak 2 summers ago, it's a table mount now. awesome looking little fish
                    Life's too short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
                    Kodiak, AK
                    www.alaska-fish.com
                    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Comment

Really vivid colors on that Rock Greenling!

Here's a Kelp Greenling I dredged up from under the dock with a little chartreuse plastic bodied jig while getting unwound from my flights up to Prince of Wales Island last year. Didn't look big enough to bother filleting but the Copper Rockfish that came up next was TASTY!
                      Attached Files

Comment

I have caught rock greenling over in the islands, mostly around kayak beach.
                        Carolinaboy that is a white-spotted greenling in your pic, and a good sized one at that!

Comment

Dave noted in his first response that you have a male kelp greenling there. It should be noted that there are different colors based on the sex. Both of these fish pictured are kelp greenling.

Comment

Hey HomerDave, thanks for the correction on my catch. I have caught several from under the same dock over the years as well as 3-4 different flat fish species and a few of the sculpin varieties. The Tammy Faye Baker Sculpin was my favorite. All made up with bright orange and nowhere to go.
                            Did a search on the greenlings and found a few sites with images that were interesting. Also a Painted Greenling. And this thread from here in '06.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ng-color-wierd!

Comment

Originally posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
                              Hey HomerDave,

Have you ever seen Rock Greenling in the Homer area? Caught a few while I was out in Adak but I don't think I have ever seen them around here.
                              A little more colorful then Kelp Greenling.

We caught lots of these over by 4th of July creek this summer. Really bright colors. 2 years ago, my dad caught one close in at Pogi that was almost all torquoise. He wanted to eat it but I convinced him it would be much more fun to catch it sometime again!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X