Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Fishing?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Best Fishing?

    Of the following, which do you feel offer the best overall day to day fishing? Please rank them for me. How about other hotspots in SE Alaska? Thanks.

    Craig
    Gustavus
    Juneau
    Ketchikan
    Petersburg
    Sitka

  • #2
    "The grass is always greener..." So I am going to put Juneau at the bottom of that list.

    Sobie2

    Comment


    • #3
      Sitka being the only one with open ocean access is very likely to be the winner, Craig and Gustavus would be the next two from my experience.

      Juneau is a spotty fishery for sure with some serious runs to get to the fish depending on the season, a nice place, and the halibut are great this year and the coho's can be fantastic as well but it's not like there's fantastic fishing right in front of town like others on this list.

      Comment


      • #4
        All the charters in Craig fish the open ocean.

        I'm partial to Craig. Great fishing on the W side of POW.
        Alaska Wide Open Charters
        www.alaskawideopen.com
        907-965-0130

        Comment


        • #5
          You missed the best one, Elfin Cove hands down. Then Craig, Sitka, Ketchikan, after that about the same.

          Comment


          • #6
            Sitka for sure.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by BAH468 View Post
              Of the following, which do you feel offer the best overall day to day fishing? Please rank them for me. How about other hotspots in SE Alaska? Thanks.

              Craig
              Gustavus
              Juneau
              Ketchikan
              Petersburg
              Sitka

              Being in your next door neighbor state, who's been going to Southeast Alaska for the last 15 years I can say that of all the places on your list, Craig has been my "go to" destination.

              If I really had to choose outside of Craig...it would probably be Kodiak.

              All the spots on your list are great, depending on the timing and target species, PLUS what you want to do with your time. I mean it's SE AK- you can't hardly go wrong anywhere. But you ask for best overall so here's my 2 cents. YMMV.

              in 2011, I made two Alaska trips. One to Gustavus/Icy Straits for a Halibut only trip and then back to Craig in the early fall for the Coho run.

              I looked long and hard at Elfin Cove and Sitka as being two other possible destinations but Craig and POW island in general always draw me back.

              When I get off the plane in Ketchikan, before catching a floatplane or IFR ready wheeled plane to the Island, I look around and take a deep breath and this thought comes to mind every time. "I'm home...but only for a week".

              Where will I be in 45 or so days?

              Craig, Alaska! roud:

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks Carolinaboy!

                Comment


                • #9
                  You're welcome!

                  I've got my flights booked, vehicle reserved, duffle nearly packed, counting down the days!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Catch It View Post
                    . . . but it's not like there's fantastic fishing right in front of town like others on this list.
                    Yeah, it's a 6 mile run to Handtrollers/North Pass and 7 miles to S. Shelter.

                    I'll probably do Derby this year as the daughter wants to fish it. Buddy at work caught a 20# hoho this wknd.

                    It's close between Sitka and Craig, but I'll give Craig the nod as there are places you can tuck out of the weather in a blow.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by MGH55 View Post
                      You missed the best one, Elfin Cove hands down. Then Craig, Sitka, Ketchikan, after that about the same.
                      Elfin is incredible fishing. I've had some great fishing days in Juneau to be sure. But Elfin is a whole other ballgame. It's a throwback to another era when fishing meant catching. It's rare to have a bait in the water for more than 10 minutes without some kind of action. Whether you're trolling or bottom fishing, the action is non-stop.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by carolinaboy View Post
                        When I get off the plane in Ketchikan, before catching a floatplane or IFR ready wheeled plane to the Island, I look around and take a deep breath and this thought comes to mind every time. "I'm home...but only for a week".
                        Funny, I had the same thought this last visit.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I have spent a lot of time fishing sitka and the waters outside craig and around noyes island. As much as i love both, i have to say cross sound and icy straits are my favorite spots in alaska.
                          In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea
                          _________________________________________________

                          If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Catch It View Post
                            Sitka being the only one with open ocean access is very likely to be the winner, Craig and Gustavus would be the next two from my experience.

                            Juneau is a spotty fishery for sure with some serious runs to get to the fish depending on the season, a nice place, and the halibut are great this year and the coho's can be fantastic as well but it's not like there's fantastic fishing right in front of town like others on this list.
                            i caught a bunch of king salmon 2 minutes from my slip at the old deharts marina. Twice a week trolling the ferry terminal at 430am during May. Hard to beat.
                            In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea
                            _________________________________________________

                            If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

                            Comment

                            Footer Adsense

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X