Yellow eye colored jigs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellow eye colored jigs?

While I was making a customers jigs the other day I decided to try my hand at making a jig that kind of resembled a yellow eye rockfish.
    I have made herring colored jigs and black bass colored jigs before but thought I would try this color as well.
    I figure Lingcod and Halibut most likely eat a few small yellow eye from time to time.
    The paint is super glow orange(glows orange in the dark) with super glow yellow (glows yellow in the dark)highlights in the belly.
    The white part of the 3D eye glows as well.
    This jig is 12oz. but I can make it in any size I want to up to the 24 oz or down to the 1 oz.
    Anybody had goodluck using a similiar colored jig before?
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Here is another picture.

Comment

I like it and think it will be great. That powder you are using is some tough stuff. I have a few jigs that are smashed in pretty good but the paint is still spotless. Great jigs...
      27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
      Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
      Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
      MMSI# 338232859

Comment

Looks Good

Looks like I need to pick up a few more colors Chris.
        I'll support Rob's statement above, these are some tough lures and they catch fish!
        Here's one of my favorites that has been beat up all summer, unfortunately we lost it on a big fish recently.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Chris jig.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	2492357
        BK
        BK Marine Services 232-6399
        Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
        Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
        Www.bkmarineservices.com

Comment

kasilofchrisn where can I see what jigs you have for sale?
          2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
          Twin 175 Suzuki's
          "Thunderbird"
          MMSI #338033856

Comment

Originally posted by akdeweyj View Post
            kasilofchrisn where can I see what jigs you have for sale?
            You can email me at Roust-a-boutlures@hotmail.com and I 'll send you some pics and prices.
            Be sure to mention you are a forum member for your 5% forum member discount.

Comment

email sent!
              Thanks
              2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
              Twin 175 Suzuki's
              "Thunderbird"
              MMSI #338033856

Comment

Dunno about halibut, but that one's going to sting some lingcod, for sure.

We're using heavy rubber tails rather than bar-style, but orange skirts with yellow tails are unbeatable in deep water. Shallower we're using black skirts with white or silver tails (ala black rockfish), and the lings are all over them.

The first photo didn't show the orange much, but the second is better. I think the orange is so important, I'd probably increase the amount of orange on the back.
                "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
                Merle Haggard

Comment

It's really hard to get a good picture of a jig like this.
                  I did do a plain white basecoat first. Doing a double dip in jjust the orange would make the back a bit darker
                  But is is completly dipped in the super glow orange the super glow yellow was sprayed on over that in just the belly area. There is also a UV blast clear coat over the entire jig.
                  I have done the Black rockfish patterns as well. A white basecoat with a black back and a silver(chrome powder paint) belly.
                  When I get a chance I'll do some in that color and post a pic of it also.
                  I have a few orders to fill right now. One just needs the downrigger weights painted.
                  As soon as I am off the slope I need to get those orders finished before I can play with making color patterns etc.

Comment

Originally posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
                    As soon as I am off the slope I need to get those orders finished before I can play with making color patterns etc.
                    Looking forward to the results!
                    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
                    Merle Haggard

Comment

Looking good Chris. The Kachemak version works well in orange. Maybe add some black tiger stripes to mimic a kelp greenling. I am sure it will be a hit either way.

BTW, that particular jig in blue/silver is killing it for me this season. :topjob:
                      sigpic

Heavy Hitter Fishing
                      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Comment

Originally posted by AK2AZ View Post
                        Looking good Chris. The Kachemak version works well in orange. Maybe add some black tiger stripes to mimic a kelp greenling. I am sure it will be a hit either way.

BTW, that particular jig in blue/silver is killing it for me this season. :topjob:
                        A friend and customer of mine from sterling is killing them out of seward with the skyblue color this year.
                        I guess Alaska fish like blue.lol
                        Stripes is not a problem especially since I just bought a third powder paint airbrush.
                        When I have time I'll get some headed your way.

Comment

Originally posted by AK2AZ View Post

What he said!!! Has been a real killer for me as well. Very impressed with your jigs Chris. Thanks again
                          Experience is a hard teacher because you get the test first and the lesson afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by kodiakbound View Post
                            What he said!!! Has been a real killer for me as well.
                            We were using buzz bombs for pinks and I had the only blue/white/green one .. Every one else had chartreuse or yellow. I killed the fish and presumed it was because of the 'herring' color of the jig rather than my superior fishing skills (not)
                            Taxidermy IS art!
                            www.alaskawildliferugs.com
                            Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Comment

Originally posted by JuliW View Post
                              We were using buzz bombs for pinks and I had the only blue/white/green one .. Every one else had chartreuse or yellow. I killed the fish and presumed it was because of the 'herring' color of the jig rather than my superior fishing skills (not)
                              That is one of the fun parts of making your own tackle. You can make it how you want it.
                              Make the colors you like not just what the store has for sale and you can often times make one of better quality.
                              Same thing with ordering custom stuff. You pick the size ,style ,and colors you want not just what the stores have on their shelves.
                              Alaska is not the lower 48 and what works there does not always work here. Sometimes it does but other times something is lacking.
                              I think more people should make their own tackle in Alaska.It's fun and rewarding hobby!
                              You know women often times outfish the men on the boat. Thats what my Charter captain friend says! I know my wife often outfishes me on my boats!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X