Someone had a bad day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone had a bad day

Went out of Seward on Monday and on our way back in we passed this right off the tip of Cape aialik. There was debris in the immediate area so I knew it had just went down and I thought for sure we were going to find bodies. I contacted the coast Guard and informed them of the vessel and after giving them a description of what we were looking at another vessel spoke up and informed the CG that they had picked up the two people on board about 10 minutes earlier. They apparently we're sitting on the bow. I guess they had taken on water and it got to the battery before they could get the engine fired or call for help.
    Bummer deal for sure but at least everyone was ok
    I think it was a borrowed boat too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1406867094098.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	2513359

Man that sucks. Truly scary. Nobody thinks it will happen to them. Glad everyone was ok. Any intel on what happened???
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Comment

What a shame! Wondering what could have happened to take on water like that...failed drain plug or some sort of transom/outdrive seal failure? I've had a couple guys chide me over my battery placement which is just off center line opposite of where I stand and about a foot forward of the helm on my old Harvey. the way they are boxed in, the dance would be pretty well over by the time they got wet.

Comment

With that bow, it looks like the one in the news a couple of days back, the two POB's picked up by a charter boat.

Sad part was, the news said it's a BORRROWED boat!
        "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
        Merle Haggard

Comment

things happen no matter how well we plan SID roud:

Comment

There is a lot of rocks around the cape there. Borrowed boat may mean they were not familiar with the area. Glad they are alright.

Comment

Here is the story from what I believe is the same incident form KTUU's Web site:

http://www.ktuu.com/news/news/fishin...skiff/27211882

Here is the link to additional pictures:

http://www.ktuu.com/news/news/photos...eward/27211946

The pictures were sobering as the submerged boat was near the granite cliffs. It gave me a moment of pause as my wife and I transited that very section of coast from Rugged Island to Fox Island coming back from Pony Cove few days earlier. I have had conversations in the past with a professional mariner friend and I have stated how I would hate to be int the water near the outer capes of Resurrection Bay due the steep cliffs and big swell.

I'm glad everybody is ok.

Doug

Comment

Originally posted by AKExplore View Post
                Here is the story from what I believe is the same incident form KTUU's Web site:

http://www.ktuu.com/news/news/fishin...skiff/27211882

Here is the link to additional pictures:

http://www.ktuu.com/news/news/photos...eward/27211946

The pictures were sobering as the submerged boat was near the granite cliffs. It gave me a moment of pause as my wife and I transited that very section of coast from Rugged Island to Fox Island coming back from Pony Cove few days earlier. I have had conversations in the past with a professional mariner friend and I have stated how I would hate to be int the water near the outer capes of Resurrection Bay due the steep cliffs and big swell.

I'm glad everybody is ok.

Doug
                Yep that was the same boat

Comment

Whoa! Deja-Vu. Same thing happened to me out of Homer but w/a happier ending. 3 years ago I was heading for Pogi alone in my 30' Bayliner @ 9:30 PM. No boat traffic at all. Alarms started going off so I stopped just past Yukon Island. Put the boat in neutral and walked onto the deck to find the boat sinking toward the transom. Pulled the engine hatch to find it flooded almost to the engine manifold. Shut off the engine and let the bilge pumps work. Turns out the ocean cooling line burst & flooded the compartment. Limped back to the harbor (2 hrs.) with numerous stops to let the bilge pumps do their thing. Changed my undies after docking. Marine Services pulled it out of the water the next morning and went thru everything. Cost me thousands but at least I didn't die. S*#% happens.

Comment

Another one burned to the water around Cainshead a couple weeks ago....use your blowers folks before startups.
                    sigpic

Heavy Hitter Fishing
                    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X