Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

fun with octopus

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • fun with octopus

    Caught this weekend, went to kill it and it snatched the knife from my hand. Will make for some great halibut bait

    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea
    _________________________________________________

    If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

  • #2
    They are amazing critters. I'd suggest saving the mantel to eat, it's fairly tender and if you like calamari, you should like octopus.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

    If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

    Comment


    • #3
      I caught one last year and tried to kill it quickly so it didn't suffer, but ended up with ink all over the deck! Where do cut or hit an octopus to kill it quickly?

      Comment


      • #4
        I put them in a bucket on the swim step before I do anything.
        2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

        Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Emu View Post
          I caught one last year and tried to kill it quickly so it didn't suffer, but ended up with ink all over the deck! Where do cut or hit an octopus to kill it quickly?
          Reach up underneath the flap on the side of the mantel, and pull the head of the octopus inside out; pulling out the organs. Kills them quickly.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Anythingalaska View Post
            Reach up underneath the flap on the side of the mantel, and pull the head of the octopus inside out; pulling out the organs. Kills them quickly.
            I like that idea. I usually just cut in half just below the eyes


            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

            Comment


            • #7
              I caught one on a longline that had me all wrapped up before I could blink. Still remember the "plook Plook" sound of pulling the tentacles free. It was pretty big, about 3 feet long on the tentacles and a couple inches diameter. arms stuck to my raingear, to the boat hull, around my neck, it was quite a time. Tasted great fried in hot oil, and caught some nice butts on part of it!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Emu View Post
                I caught one last year and tried to kill it quickly so it didn't suffer, but ended up with ink all over the deck! Where do cut or hit an octopus to kill it quickly?
                I stick them with a knife or icepick right between the eyes. Greek fishermen in the Mediterranean do it the old-fashioned way - they BITE them between the eyes!

                Comment


                • #9
                  I cleaned a 6 footer the other day. Removed the guts, sliced off the legs and cap. Soaked it for 15 minutes in a brine mixture, then dipped in boiling water for 1 minute. Pealed the suction cups off and diced it up. Going to be some good eating. I ate the cap cooked is spaghetti sauce over linguini. Delicious.

                  Patriot Life Member NRA
                  Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
                  Life Member Disabled American Veterans


                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The area that surrounds the beak is very tender; if you like raw eating, go for that area...

                    Rosenberg; Florida
                    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
                      I cleaned a 6 footer the other day. Removed the guts, sliced off the legs and cap. Soaked it for 15 minutes in a brine mixture, then dipped in boiling water for 1 minute. Pealed the suction cups off and diced it up. Going to be some good eating. I ate the cap cooked is spaghetti sauce over linguini. Delicious.
                      Next time remove the skin from the arms but leave the suction cups on. They are the best part if you cook it right. There are some good vids on YouTube for how to skin the arms.

                      Comment

                      Footer Adsense

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X