Seward Silvers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seward Silvers?

Anyone have an idea when the silvers will be around Seward (Resurrection Bay as a whole) in catch-able numbers? I have family straying in Seward next week and they've requested a quick salmon trip. Not sure if a half day trip is worth it.

Thanks!
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

My crystal ball says second week of July.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

Comment

we usually get into them out side of the bay in the begging of the july and not till the middle or end of july start getting good numbers inside of the bay.

Comment

We hammered them in Pony Cove last year on July 5th......also picked up two Kings while fishing for Silvers!
        "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

Comment

Next week is a bit early for a typical run, but it wouldn't hurt heading out to the mouth of the bay for a try. Certainly should be some fish to catch.
          Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Comment

There were a few in the Pony Cove area Monday.

sigpic
            07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
            115 Yamaha
            Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
            Airmar TM 260-MM

Comment

Pretty sure the second pic is a sockeye.

If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

Comment

We caught them on the outside last week. They will be better in the bay in a week or so...they are early.
                sigpic

Heavy Hitter Fishing
                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Comment

There is a good chance you are right.

Originally posted by Hoyt-Hunter View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Hoyt-Hunter View Post

It sure has the body shape of a sockeye, but that big pupil (tough to see with the lack of light in the photo) leads me to believe it is a dime bright chum. Nice fish regardless.
                    sigpicSpending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Comment

I was thinking it was a bright chum too?!?!?
                      "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

Comment

The placement of the eye suggests chum too. A person would figure it out really quickly with a filet knife....LOL....I always find it challenging to tell the difference between a chum and a red in the salt. However, I have never caught a red when targeting other salmon in the ocean. For example, if caught on herring, a K16, some lure, and looks like a red, it always turns out to be a chum. If you catch a salmon behind a flasher on a bare red hook (because they like that for some reason and you are intentionally targeting them) you can almost be 100% sure it is a sockeye. It does not appear to be a silver. None the less, it would go in my fish box and I'd be glad we caught it.

Originally posted by spoiled one View Post
                        It sure has the body shape of a sockeye, but that big pupil (tough to see with the lack of light in the photo) leads me to believe it is a dime bright chum. Nice fish regardless.

Comment

Silvers + pinks are starting to show up around Cheval Island but no great # of fish yet or any baitballs either. We caught six silvers + three pinkys yesterday & only one fish had any needlefish in his stomach - the rest were empty.
                          2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
                          Twin 175 Suzuki's
                          "Thunderbird"
                          MMSI #338033856

Comment

Thanks to all for the info! Looks like we may end up going after all.
                            When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Comment

Caught some silvers out east of the bay yesterday. They are coming in now....
                              27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
                              Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
                              Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
                              MMSI# 338232859

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X