Sablefish success!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sablefish success!!

Well, it took me a few tries over a couple of years, but I FINALLY got my first sablefish ... followed by a second and a third on subsequent drops!

Here's what details I can share that may help anyone wanting to fish for them:

Started on 600 foot drops & went successively deeper ... caught a bunch of arrowtooth flounder from 600-900 feet (isn't there some kind of repellent or something to keep them away?). Finally found them at 1200+ feet deep on muddy bottom on a calm day during the tide. Without the tidal movement it was hard to get a good drift over potential spots.

Gear: Shimano TLD-30 2 speed with extended 5" handle loaded with 80# braid (about 900 yards) & Ugly Stik Tiger Lite extra-heavy jigging rod. 2 hook dropper rig tied on a 6 foot leader with 2 lb of sinker. Used strips of arrowtooth flounder as bait, cause it stayed on the hooks very well (guess they have some use after all, eh?)

Observations: They bite harder than I expected, and have zero fight once hooked. They apparently stay tight to the bottom, because all my fish came on the bottom hook (2 feet off bottom), and the bait on the top hook (4 feet off bottom) was untouched. Each drop & drift was about 30-35 minutes ... cranking that much line is a breeze with the right reel! They have some SERIOUS teeth, with a secondary row on the roof of their mouth about an inch behind the first row.

Will post photos once I figure out how. THANK YOU to the guys who have shared advice on locating & catching these DELICIOUS fish!

Looking forward to pic's. :topjob:
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Was this in PWS or ??
      BK
      BK Marine Services 232-6399
      Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
      Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
      Www.bkmarineservices.com

Comment

can't wait to see the pix... Larry is going to be JEALOUSSSS! LOL
        Taxidermy IS art!
        www.alaskawildliferugs.com
        Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Comment

Prospecting at over 1,200 feet ... no, I wasn't using the downrigger, just the rod holder.

First sablefish! You could probably hear me three miles away whooping and hollering, I was so excited!

Comment

Wow, those are genuine beauties,... you did well on that venture
            Impressive fishing and telling the story here also,... Thanks

How are you planning to cook 'em up ?
            Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Comment

Don't forget to cut out the collars/tips! Best part on the fish!

Comment

you said you drifted - no anchoring out? I can't imagine trying to manage over 2k feet of anchor line. LOL....GREAT PICS! thanks for sharing all the info...definitely on our 'to do' list!

Juli
                Taxidermy IS art!
                www.alaskawildliferugs.com
                Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Comment

Originally posted by JuliW View Post
                  you said you drifted - no anchoring out? I can't imagine trying to manage over 2k feet of anchor line. LOL....GREAT PICS! thanks for sharing all the info...definitely on our 'to do' list!

Juli
                  Yes to drifting, I could not imagine trying to manage an anchor set at that depth. Deepest I've ever tried anchoring is about 600 feet in the Gulf of Mexico. In Alaska, it's been about 380 feet max for anchoring. I do deeper drops in GOM with my TLD50 without difficulty, though it can get boring reeling back up without a fish.

Yes, I did save the collars to eat that same night. I figure on baking the fillets over rice or potatoes, but for now, they're vacuum packed in my freezer.

Comment

Great story, info, and pic's. Thanks!!
                    "Miss Mary"
                    Kingfisher 2725, twin Yamaha 150's

Comment

Zeek, care to say where you found them? We have been searching with the electric reel for a year now and haven't been able to put on in the boat. Nice fish. Congrats.
                      27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
                      Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
                      Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
                      MMSI# 338232859

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B View Post
                        Zeek, care to say where you found them? We have been searching with the electric reel for a year now and haven't been able to put on in the boat. Nice fish. Congrats.
                        How deep are you able to fish, Rob?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian M View Post
                          How deep are you able to fish, Rob?
                          Brian. I can fish about 2100' with my diawa 750
                          27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
                          Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
                          Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
                          MMSI# 338232859

Comment

Always found em out off of Lone Island back when I was longlining....Deep.
                            “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
                            "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Comment

Thanks for the pics and inspiration. I've been looking for them in PWS for two seasons but no luck yet. I can't tell from the pics but i'm guessing you used circle hooks? What size? It's good to know they will hit arrowtooth. I've been able to fish to 1800' so far. It's hard to find that magic moment when the tide and wind cooperate for a good drift that deep.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X