Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crossing PWS Whittier to Valdez

All,

I'm looking at making a trip across from Whittier to Valdez in my Trophy 2359. I was told it's about 90 miles across. Has anyone made that trip and if so, what are some of the lessons learned. What should I watch out for. What are the have to see spots while crossing. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Kyle
    TIGHT LINES...ALASKA!!
    2005 Trophy Pro 2359
    "Nut-N-Honey"

Shortly after passing Easter Passage, you'll come to Eaglek Bay. If you go up into the bay towards the North West corner, you'll see the entrance to Cascade Bay. There is a really cool water fall back there that is worth the detour.

Also, in that general area around Eaglek and Unakwik there are a ton of small islands and rocks that you will need to pay attention to.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Eaglet Bay Waterfall.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	2491916

Comment

Did the trip a couple weekends ago. Smooth sailing. Only issue we had was 15 miles of dodging icebergs around Columbia. Fun run to make, took me 3 hours or so.
      In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Comment

On the South East end of Glacier Island is a sea lion rookery. Big cave to the right, Puffin nesting area.

Patriot Life Member NRA
        Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
        Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Went from Whittier to Ellamar/Tatitlek last year. I second what Tlingitwarrior said, watch out for ice coming out of Columbia Bay - expect to encounter it as soon as you round the SE corner of Glacier Island. We slowed way down. easy to see the big stuff, but there were more than a few cooler size chunks that were difficult to see.
          Questions about moving to or from Alaska? Hit us up:
          Far North Real Estate, LLC
          www.myfairbankshome.com
          contact@farnorthrealestate.com

Comment

Very fun trip. Have done it in my Thunderjet. I want to do it again and spend more time exploring. Lots too see. We dealt with some fog and rough water on the way over so make sure you have your navigation figured out.
            Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Comment

I've made the trip lots of time. Pick good weather and keep a good eye out for ice, and you'll have a beautiful trip and a great time. Don't mess around out there in questionable weather though. A strong SE wind will make the stretch from Glacier Island to Eaglek miserable and dangerous. If ice conditions permit, you can cut behind Glacier, but you'll miss the sea lions.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
              Working...
              X