Stupid Shrimp Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Shrimp Question

How many shrimp are you guys counting as a gallon? I recall it being on the old permits but its not on the new one. I was thinking 20 but fortunate for me my mind was the first thing to go . Nothing online about it that I could find other than a guy in WA saying 40 to a gallon. Their spots must be smaller than ours. Cant wait to get back out there this weekend.

Last season's permit said 80 - but talked with guy when I picked up my permit and he said they were back to measuring them. He told me people were actually writing in the NUMBER of shrimp they caught, not as gallons of shrimp. So people were reporting, say, 100 on their permit!

Basically a gallon ziplock is a gallon I got a cat litter bucket I use for washdown and such, and I marked 1, 2 and 3 gallon lines after dumping a ziplock full into it.
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

Comment

We generally just use a five gallon bucket and estimate.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian M View Post
        We generally just use a five gallon bucket and estimate.
        That is my method as well.
        2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Same as Brian but I have a 2 gallon bucket and a 5. The count is "gallons of whole shrimp" not tails.

Patriot Life Member NRA
          Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
          Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

80 shrimp per gallon seems a bit high to me for whole shrimp. Thanks guys for the tip on the bucket, I usually just open the transom fishbox and throw them in there on ice so I was hoping to just count and avoid the bucket method. Guess I will just take a bucket, count while I fill it and use that number as a baseline. Thanks guys.

Comment

I think there were 278 in this 5...Click image for larger version

Name:	shrimp.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	2491857

Comment

279, ya missed one

Comment

A bucket and estimate.
                  My Facebook My YouTube

Comment

I use a 3 gallon bucket and estimate on whole shrimp. I like the bucket because you can fill it with water and let the shrimp soak and clean themselves out for a bit before heading them; then put in bags and on ice.
                    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

Comment

I use a wide mouth maynaise bucket to put them in after they are headed and then we pack that in ice or snow.

I set pots in Seward for 3 days over mem wknd - zippo, zilcho for shrimp.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullelkklr View Post
                        I use a wide mouth maynaise bucket to put them in after they are headed and then we pack that in ice or snow.

I set pots in Seward for 3 days over mem wknd - zippo, zilcho for shrimp.
                        I tried Seward last year, it was my last time taking my pots to seward. Well, unless I can start keeping the crabs I caught.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

They got medicine for that....HA I had to say it!! :-)
                          Originally posted by Andy82Hoyt View Post
                          I tried Seward last year, it was my last time taking my pots to seward. Well, unless I can start keeping the crabs I caught.

It's better to burn out than fade away.....:cool:

Comment

Originally posted by AK Fishkiller View Post
                            They got medicine for that....HA I had to say it!! :-)

haha good one!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy82Hoyt View Post

Young tanners?

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X