Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AKCAPT
    replied
    A great way to make the connection is to splice the mono into hollow core spectra. IT is not that hard, if you do it a few times it takes a bit longer but there is no knot all all. Prefect for trolling.

Leave a comment:

• BrownBear
    replied
    Originally posted by Zeek the Greek View Post
    Much easier to tie & can be managed by one person on a rocking boat. I use the rigging you describe down here in the Gulf of Mexico & it's very useful when the fish is up at the the side of the boat.
    Old dogs and new tricks, I think. I've been tying Biminis solo on rocking boats for over 40 years, and they're still easier for me than a spider. Doesn't really matter which a guy chooses, so long as he uses it. Your final point sezz it all.

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Zeek
    replied
    Originally posted by BrownBear View Post
    In addition to the top shot, I prefer to put a bimini in the end of the fluoro/mono, resulting in a double line about 3' long above the swivel. No loss of strength to knots and lots of extra surface/strength should you ever grab the line. Biminis take a little practice to learn, but they're quick and easy once you get the hang of them.
    An alternative to a bimini for this application is a spider hitch knot. Much easier to tie & can be managed by one person on a rocking boat. I use the rigging you describe down here in the Gulf of Mexico & it's very useful when the fish is up at the the side of the boat.

Leave a comment:

• BrownBear
    replied
    In addition to the top shot, I prefer to put a bimini in the end of the fluoro/mono, resulting in a double line about 3' long above the swivel. No loss of strength to knots and lots of extra surface/strength should you ever grab the line. Biminis take a little practice to learn, but they're quick and easy once you get the hang of them.

Leave a comment:

• Paul H
    replied
    The benefits I've seen of running a top shot of mono or fluro with braid is:

Better abrasion resistance than braid where your line is going to be dealing with rocks and teeth
    Just a bit of stretch in the line at the terminal end
    A larger dia line to grab ahold of when landing a fish. If you grab braid with a larger fish and no glove, you're just asking to get your hand cut.

Leave a comment:

• kodiakcombo
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    Heard this term many times. Now I want to know more....thanks.
    High line capacity of spectra, less wrapped up tangles at rod tip as you set downriggers. I use 30ft of 50 florocarbon and it is tough stuff!

Leave a comment:

• traveler
    replied
    yup, that about covers it. I run top shots on my Avets for marlin fishing down in Cabo. High line capacity with braid, handling and stretch characteristics of mono...best of both worlds.

Leave a comment:

• homerdave
    replied
    I have never heard the term.... But we call this "google"
    https://www.google.com/search?q=top-...&client=safari

Leave a comment:

• Cliffhanger
    started a topic Explain top-shotting

Explain top-shotting

Heard this term many times. Now I want to know more....thanks.

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X