Is this a halibut ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a halibut ?

Was at the Alaska Public Lands place. And saw this . They have it listed as a halibut. To me it looks more like a arrow tooth.

Living the Alaska Dream
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

It's a hali. Taxi went a bit overboard on the teeth tho.
    Alaska Wide Open Charters
    www.alaskawideopen.com
    907-965-0130

Comment

That's what made me think it was an arrow tooth

Living the Alaska Dream
      Living the Alaskan Dream
      Gary Keller
      Anchorage, AK

Comment

Halibut do have small teeth. They've torn me up pretty good on occasion when reaching in for a hook and they decide to chomp down. The gills have really torn me up too.
        Alaska Wide Open Charters
        www.alaskawideopen.com
        907-965-0130

Comment

Arrowtooth's eye doesn't migrate all the way around… kinda gets stuck teetering just past the dorsal ridge.

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
          sigpic
          The KeenEye MD

Comment

Can't quite tell on the size but I believe arrowtooth only get to about 15 or 20 pounds. I caught my fair share of them last year as they took over my halibut hole.

Comment

I have caught hundreds o those when I chartered out of homer that is most definetly an arrow tooth flounder.

Comment

It would help to see the tail, but the head and especially the eyes are waaaay wrong for arrowtooth flounder. I admit the t-dermist got carried away with the teeth, but it's a halibut.
                "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
                Merle Haggard

Comment

The corner of the mouth on Arrowtooth extends past the eye. It stops short of the eye on Halibut.
                  Halibut usually aren't as toothy but I caught a small one in Ketchikan last fall that had teeth like an Arrowtooth but the corner of the mouth stopped where it should for a Halibut. I asked the crew at Cedar's Lodge if it was an Arrowtooth or a Halibut and they immediately stated "Halibut".

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X