Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deshka Weekend Trip

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Deshka Weekend Trip

    Well I got my first taste of comabt boat fishing this weekend. I feel that if you haven't done it, you should. It is similiar to the Russian but from a boat. The fishing was OK but the memories were great. Everyone is your friend on the river until you pull your boat into the middle of a hole that 7 boats are all fishing from (no I didn't do that but saw it happen several times).

    The water level is so low at the boat launch that you needed to launch from the outside of the spit! It was tricky but very doable!

    All the Kings caught averaged 10-25lbs. We saw most boats limiting out within a couple hours the fist day and then it slowed to a crawl (except the guy who was on the bank catching fish faster than he could reel them in).

    It was a true suicide fishing trip with an average of 3 hours of sleep! I learned alot from the guys in other boats and realized that this is a true harvest fishing experience instead of a senic one!

    All the fish we caught were dime bright and many had sea lice on them!

    Going again this weekend after we hit Chitina!!! We will sleep when we die!
    Attached Files

  • #2
    Couple More Deshka Pics

    If you would like to see them larger or want more info on Deshka feel free to contact me!
    Attached Files

    Comment


    • #3
      Great pics....

      looks like you had good weather as well!
      AKmud
      sigpic


      The porcupine is a peaceful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

      Comment


      • #4
        Fish Count

        Latest fish count up stream, is 6,221. That is good news as every run in southcentral appears to be coming in later than the past couple of years. Now is the time, if Kings are on your agenda. The water did come up slightly and the boat launch is better. Not optimum, but better. But hey the fishing is becoming its best, so that is what really matters.
        "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
        ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

        Comment


        • #5
          Is it possible to run the Su/Deshka with a prop? Got a flat bottom jon with a prop motor.

          Comment


          • #6
            Yes, see it all the time. Just limited to the deepest channels. Don't try taking the shortcuts.
            "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
            ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

            Comment


            • #7
              Su Landing to Deshka

              Anyone ever make the run from Ron's @ Su Landing to Deshka? How far/long does it take? And what about Deshka Landing? Getting ready to head down for about 10 days of fishing.....woo-hoo great break from work, and am trying to get some good info from those who've been there.

              Thanks,
              AK_BigO

              Comment


              • #8
                BigO
                The run from Susitna Landing and launch to the Deshka is about 30 miles of braided channels, some leading to log jams and choked down to water going under the logs..Not good. This cannot be overstated, so take care and play it safe, the first time you try it. It can be a thrill ride, so I would not advise it for any sort of family outing. If you go, stay in only the very largest channels. Quite a few boaters get turned around in all the channels and have a lot of fun figuring out how to get through the maze. No Landmarks to relate to. It is a long way out of the way if you want to go to the Deshka, Willow, Little Willow, Lake Creek, Alexander etc. If you want a boat ride OK, but at todays fuel prices and all, ?? Time is also a factor, why be driving and running the river when you could be fishing.
                Deshka landing is only a four mile run, in a single channel to the Deshka. Pretty much a leisurely deal and for most a no brainer decision, IF they are not trying to reach river destinations west and/or north of the Kashwitna River.
                "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
                ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

                Comment


                • #9
                  Cooled off for the moment

                  I was there Tursday afternoon, and it was not very hot, although I suspect it was a momentary lull. Fish were being caught, but they were spotty. I bet it will be a zoo this weekend, since there were around 50 boats when we were there.

                  Jim
                  2009 Seawolf 31'
                  www.seawolfmarine.com
                  Fully Loaded

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Say 'HI'

                    Well I am going to make the run again this weekend after Dip Netting. IF you see a SportJon with a camo top feel free to say 'HI' when you are out there! True combat boat fishing! Gotta love it!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Plenty of fish this weekend. Water was up on the Su and had fish backed up in the mouth. Should be only better for the next couple of weeks.
                      "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
                      ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Is there any shore fishing or all boat?

                        I have never fished the Deshka and was wondering about fishing from the Deshka.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Shore Fishing

                          Originally posted by Brophy
                          I have never fished the Deshka and was wondering about fishing from the Deshka.
                          Fishing from the shore on the Deshka is absolutely the best way to fish it. From a boat at the mouth is OK, but up river, those that attempt to fish from boats become navigational hazards. Coast Guard rules of navigation are compromised when blocking a channel.
                          That said, the only access to the Deshka is by boat or aircraft.
                          "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
                          ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Best Way?

                            Originally posted by Akres
                            Fishing from the shore on the Deshka is absolutely the best way to fish it.
                            Akres,

                            Now is that best way as in safest or best way as in most fish landed??

                            I'm trying to figure out if most people just boat to the Deshka and bank fish or if more fish from boats on the river. Haven't been down there yet, but pic's I've seen make the river look pretty narrow. Just wondering how that many boats fit in there to fish.

                            AK_BigO

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              big su

                              I have a 20 foot olympia with a 35 hp prop will I have trouble in the big su going twards montana mouth?

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X