• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ONLINE REGISTRATION IS NOW AVAILABLE!
    Cliffhanger
    http://www.farnorthpress.com/

Comment

Got on the site yesterday and all seemed well. I'm putting my new (to me) boat in the shop next week for a check up and if all is good I plan on fishing the dirby for the first time with some friends and my 13 y/o son. This will be my maiden voyage on this new boat, 2005 Trophy Pro 2359, but I'm looking forward to the fun and early season fishing!
      TIGHT LINES...ALASKA!!
      2005 Trophy Pro 2359
      "Nut-N-Honey"

Comment

I need an excuse to get the boat in the water so we've decided to fish the Homer Winter King Tournament this year! We're newbies to this fishery so I'm open to any suggestions, hints, or "lessons learned" that will make this a good time for my wife and son. I'm not looking for fishing secrets (unless your willing to share) but mostly event ettiquet, vessel staging, ice availablity, or just anything you wish you knew before your "first time" participating. For example, I'll be trailering our 28 foot boat down from Wasilla so I'm actually considering taking it down this weekend and leaving it in Homer so I don't get "corked" by a March snow storm that makes trailering too hazardous. I'm looking for suggestions on a secure place to leave the boat and trailer for the next couple weeks. I plan on calling the harbor for options and I've read everthing I can find on the web about this tournament but many of you on this forum have the "institutional knowledge" that prove invaluable to us "newbies". I know of two other groups who are heading down for their first time and would apprecieate any advice. It never hurts to ask right!?!? Thanks in advance folks and good luck to all who are turning out for this tournament.

Comment

Fullboat!
          Glad you're bringing a full boat! Thank you!

Give Mike Stockburger a call at Homer Boat Yard. (907) 235-7158 He can set you up with short term storage. His yard is secure.

Our web cam is in place and I'm working with our website developer to get the page up on the website so people can check out harbor conditions, but it may be a week before it's available to view. I went out yesterday in Skookum and there is no ice in the harbor and with warmer weather on its way, I think we're in good shape.

You get a free single night's moorage (Friday OR Saturay night) with your entry fee, courtesy of the Homer Harbor. You absolutely have to register with the Harbormaster and be assigned a stall. On Friday a Harbor officer will be at the Chamber with moorage agreements and information.

I'm trying to get the fuel dock to stay open a few extra hours on Friday night so people can gas up there boats, but to be on the safe side (I hate to say this) people should gas up in Soldotna (DANG I hated saying that!).

It will be crazy time on Friday and Saturday morning with people launching their boats. Best advice: be patient and be ready for it to take 45 minutes or more. On Friday afternoon, from 3-6pm, the Coast Guard Auxilliary will be at the launch ramp giving free safety inspections.

The Troopers will be out on Tournament day for enforcement. They're great. They'll pull up and have everybody wave their licenses so they can see them, ask a few questions, then they're off. One year a forgot to re-register my boat with DMV and they just reminded me to go do it. No hassle.

The hardest thing for me the first couple of years was the rodeo that goes on with a dozen (or 50!) boats trying to fish one area, especially when one boat finds fish. It can be a "conga line" that you get in and just follow along, but when you are approaching another boat and the captain decides to turn in front of you it can be hard to know which way to go. I try to make my intentions abundantly clear by making strong turns without cutting too close either on approach or in passing (remember your lines are down 50-80 feet and trailing behind another 50(?) feet and it's possible to tangle -- never happened to me, but I dread it). With boats working perpendicularly in front of you I always back off and let the boat in front pass (errr, sometimes I use the "I'm bigger and I'm metal" rule -- but don't push it!)

Leaving the harbor, you have to call into Tournament HQ and get assigned a boat number. You'll' hear how other boats do it and just follow their example and WRITE YOUR NUMBER DOWN! All Tournament traffic is on VHF 69. Hail other boats on 16, then go to a recreational channel, like 10. Or use your cellphone.

Come on into the Chamber to see the Boat Side Bet board. That's pretty amazing (side bet winnings for a boat that has the Tournament winner can be more than $20K. If the side betting is confusing, just put up your $50 to bet that you DON"T get skunked and share the pool with boats that don't get skunked!

Lines in at 9am, out at 4pm. Fish need to be at Coal Point Headquarters by 6pm to count. Awards ceremonies will include just the top 20 fish announced, with final certified results, and side bets announced the following Monday by 4pm. Chowder, dinner roll, a beer (no fried fish this year) to satisfy you through the ceremonies, and then we're done, hopefully by 7pm, and off you go to one of our great restaurants!

Hope this helps. You'll have a blast...
          Cliffhanger

Comment

friendly reminder to all those from Anchorage or North, that are pulling there boats down for the derby.
            The frost heaves in the passes are HUGE!!!! already a couple have amounted to small mountains in the road, most are flagged, most of the gnarly ones are flagged, but some are not as of yet. Drive (tow) safe, hate to see anyones axels sitting on the side of the road!!
            www.polebendersfishing.com

Comment

Drove down this weekend to Soldotna and the roads were dry but nasty with Frost Heaves. Passed one guy heading back to Anchorage with his boat in tow. On our way back, we saw the boat and trailer on the side of the road and he had lost his port side rear tire. Nasty stuff. I think all four tires left the road a few times on the trip to and back. I'll definately be slowing it down on the trip out and back.
              TIGHT LINES...ALASKA!!
              2005 Trophy Pro 2359
              "Nut-N-Honey"

Comment

PB-
                Thanks for giving people the heads up on those heaves. If I remember right, they're on that stretch after the Hope cutoff and before you get to Summit Lake, yes?
                Cliffhanger

Comment

Here's my fishing friend Jane with the one king we caught Sunday. It was only 18 lbs, but in the water it looked like a beast it was so long...
                  Cliffhanger

Comment

Thanks Cliffhanger, that was just what I was looking for! Saw the weather forecast for this week so my son and I headed down on Sunday and tucked the boat in with Mike at the Home Boatyard. The highway, despite being clear and dry, was extremely rough! For others towing their boats, give yourself some extra time and take it easy. We're really looking forward to the tourney and some "Homer hospitality!"

Comment

This was the only one that came to play Friday. Had one other takedown, but that herring must have tasted bad! Either way, good second feeder for my brother in law, and great to have the boat back in the water!

PB, after hearing road reports between ANC and Soldotna, I'd say you done well for yourself getting it down this weekend!

Jim, good to see you out again! A good sign of things coming out way!

Comment

James,
                        That is a beauty of a fish. Good seeing you too on Sunday.
                        Cliffhanger

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 winter kings.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	2491289
                          Jim; definitly the biggest bumps are from Hope to summit lake, the worst at the top of the big hill with the passing lane. Definitly a few sneakers heading up turnagain, and a couple good ones around Johnson pass area.
                          James; nice that the boat stays in anchor point all winter

no derby winners but a couple good practice fish from Saturday.

Comment

Homer Winter King Salmon Tournament

Wow. Nice fish James!!!

I'll have a crew of 5 or 6 kayakers. We are likely headed to the Islands area but may go as far as Seldovia. We understand we are in the domain of powerboats and we will keep a careful eye out and be as courteous as we can. But like motorcycles are sometimes missed please keep an eye out for us. We fairly routinely fish in 3 to 4 ft seas so the boat wakes don't really bother us. But we are going to lose on any collision type incidents. Lol.

I hope others join in on the kayak scene. It's a great way to fish, it's cheap (though this time using a water taxi we are going all out), and every fish means just a little bit more.

We appreciate the Homer Chamber allowing us to participate. Our focus is safety first, catching a fish, any king will do second, and who knows maybe we will get lucky. I think most of us will be running downriggers so other than we cant go searching vast distances of water, we shouldn't be at too much of a disadvantage once on the water. Stop by and check it out and say hello! We appreciate the great support from everyone on the board and the people we meet on the water!! I can't wait!!!!!

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
                            Guidesak.blogspot.com
                            My personal pages...I'm not a guide.

Comment

can't wait!! Sadly only able to be there Friday afternnoon to Sunday afternoon... once if these days I'll actually retire and be able to spend a few weeks out winter king fishing Maybe then I'd actually have some luck in the derby! lol
                              '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
                              200hp Honda 4stroke
                              + multiple other 'toys'...

Comment

Originally posted by Swissy View Post
                                can't wait!! Sadly only able to be there Friday afternnoon to Sunday afternoon... once if these days I'll actually retire and be able to spend a few weeks out winter king fishing Maybe then I'd actually have some luck in the derby! lol
                                I feel ya on that one! W0%k, is a rotten 4 letter word. whats even worse is when your retired buddies live in Anchor Point and Homer, and call youu every day to see how the office is!!! )&^&*(^(*%^&%% is usually all I can say

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X