Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Y'all are wasting some good eating feeding it to the fish.
    Now what ?

Comment

Right on

Parkers right on the money.

If you go to Amermans site, he has a very good pictoral show of how to cure eggs. Of course he is showing his off, but it works the same with most chemical type cures.

Comment

Amerman

Here's the link to the instructions - http://www.ifish.net/amercure1.html
        AKmud
        sigpic

The porcupine is a peaceful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Comment

Originally posted by stevelyn View Post
          Y'all are wasting some good eating feeding it to the fish.
          LOL....I was asked last year how hooligan taste....my response was "like halibut"

Comment

TCMAN,

I fish entirely, exclusively, and whole-heartedly in Alaska. I have caught kings, coho, rainbows, burbot, dollies and lake trout on the fresh stuff in all types of water.

I have some left over from last year... I should try to add halibut to the list this year.
            "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Comment

I am traveling in July and dont want the hassle of bringing my roe, I plan to cure my own when I get up there but have to get a female first!! So I need a good batch of eggs to get me started. Can anyone vouch for this Amerman dudes cured eggs???

Comment

Originally posted by honey View Post
                Can anyone vouch for this Amerman dudes cured eggs???
                I can...

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=65622

http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/f...&Number=259637

And yes, they do work in AK. too. During my 2005 Kenai trip, winged Cheaters/eggs outfished Kwiks 4:1 (11 plug bites vs 40 egg bites). Just maybe, Amerman eggs had something to do with that.

http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/f...&Number=305684

One of the prettiest Kenai hens I caught in 2006 couldn't resist the Amerman's either...

And no, I don't work for the guy, nor do I get any endorsements. Just enthusiastic about spreading the word when I come across a product that really works.
                Last edited by fishNphysician; 05-18-2007, 00:33.
                "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
                sigpic
                The KeenEye MD

Comment

Cured Roe

Nice pictures! I am ordering a few pounds of Amerman's for my June trip to Kodiak.

Comment

Alright your words are enough, i will try them. Could he ship them cold to my lodge in Alaska? I know I could call and ask but if you knew it would be appreciated. also, did you purchase the treated roe or did you cure them yourself? Thanks.

Comment

No self-respecting Alaskan angler would ever buy commercially-cured eggs .

They turn out much better when you cure your own FRESH bait and can monitor the quality-control at each step!

Go back to the link posted by AKmud and order the Neon Rocket Red SALMON Cure. I buy it by the 5-pound bag of cure and store it in the freezer after opening.
                      "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
                      sigpic
                      The KeenEye MD

Comment

Simply an easy cure

Cut roe into bait sized chunks and just put sea salt on them... that's it. Let them dry and then vacuum seal them and freeze. Been doing this for years with my dipnetted sockeye and the silvers have gobbled them up every time.
                        "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Comment

Last edited by fishNphysician; 05-20-2007, 10:32. Reason: wrong thread
                          sigpic
                          The KeenEye MD

Comment

Great info on this thread.

I'm about to try curing some roe for the first time and I had to resurrect this to ask about curing time. Amerman's directions on his website talk about a pretty long cure time in the 24-48 hour range, saying that the eggs will reabsorb some of the initial liquid they purge after 24 hours or so. I'll be using using pro cure, but the directions only talk about 1-2 hours of curing time...will eggs begin to reabsorb some of the juice if I wait longer with pro cure or will I just be toasting the eggs?
                            "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Comment

We haven't cured any eggs for a few years since the kings have been on the decline but my wife swears by pro cure. As with anything there are pro's and con's and a multitude of opinions however cure time always depended on the temperature and weather for us. The eggs were soaked in a bucket for 1-2hrs, rotating them occasionally and then placed outside on a plastic mesh screen or chicken fence, in the shade and covered to keep critters away but not to impede free air circulation. If it was cool and damp they were left out for as much as 48-72hrs. If warm and dry 24-48 hrs did the trick.

Comment

Originally posted by MRFISH View Post
                                Great info on this thread.

I'm about to try curing some roe for the first time and I had to resurrect this to ask about curing time. Amerman's directions on his website talk about a pretty long cure time in the 24-48 hour range, saying that the eggs will reabsorb some of the initial liquid they purge after 24 hours or so. I'll be using using pro cure, but the directions only talk about 1-2 hours of curing time...will eggs begin to reabsorb some of the juice if I wait longer with pro cure or will I just be toasting the eggs?

2 hours isnt enough time period. The least I will let them sit is 24 and I really think that isnt long enough either. 48-72 hours seems to be about perfect. Then into the freezer for at least a day before use. The freezing stops the active curing process and seems to help the bait stay together a little longer when your using it.
                                Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X