shrimp pot rigging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shrimp pot rigging

I'm trying to find some information on rigging a shrimp pot. Anybody have any good ideas?

What I do is cut my line into 300 feet sections and use a clap to connect each 300 feet section deping how deep I'm shrimping. I shrimp from 400 to 650 feet.
    400 feet I use two section =600 feet.
    600-650 I use three section=900
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Comment

I asked a similar question a month or so ago and received some great information and tips...Thanks to everybody that replied, we had shrimp for a couple dinners!

Comment

A little advice

My wife and I want to try our hand at shrimping starting this season and are looking for a little advice as far as the rigging of pots go, But, maybe also the type of terrain. Any help would be appreciated-Thanks , Wayne and Toni

Comment

Originally posted by waynekoe View Post
          My wife and I want to try our hand at shrimping starting this season and are looking for a little advice as far as the rigging of pots go, But, maybe also the type of terrain. Any help would be appreciated-Thanks , Wayne and Toni
          Suggest first doing a search on the forum. Lots of posts and good information already covered.

Comment

What I do is cut my line into 300 feet sections and use a clap to connect each 300 feet section deping how deep I'm shrimping. I shrimp from 400 to 650 feet.
            400 feet I use two section =600 feet.
            600-650 I use three section=900

Alaska Grey, You have mentioned a couple of times about a clap. What is a clap? Thanks. Mark
            Fish fear me, My wife don't.

Comment

I was a new guy a couple years ago with a ton of questions. Then I discovered Steve (potbuilder). He's all over this site and is a very worth while source for not only answereing your questions but also for ALL the supplies you will need. You can make it as complicated as you like but in reality it's as easy as throw em in the water, come back later and dump um out. That is if you are following the advice Steve so freely dishes out!
              No I'm not a relative, just a guy like your selves who did follow someones advice and got real good on shrimp, real fast!:rolleyes:
              Mike

Comment

I've said it once and i'll say it again stay away from those longline clips and caribiners for connecting lines together & attaching pots to your lines they all have a habit of rolling off, learn a few good knots (like a sheet bend) and use them on your gear. Now i'm gonna hear it from all the guys who never have problems with the hardware:rolleyes:.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	3 sheet bends to bouyline.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	2470231
                sigpic
                Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
                Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
                Ropes, Buoys, Bait
                alaskashrimppots.com
                akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
                907 775 1692

Comment

+1 Potbuilder. Here is a link to some animated knots including the sheet bend: KNOTS
                  sigpicSpending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by spoiled one View Post
                    +1 Potbuilder. Here is a link to some animated knots including the sheet bend: KNOTS
                    Wow, thats a good knot lesson. Thanks for the link!

Comment

Originally posted by spoiled one View Post
                      Sweet site. Thanks for the info.
                      sigpic

Comment

Carrick Bend

I've commercial fished for crab in the Bering Sea and Gulf of Alaska for 15 years or so, and all the boats I fished on use a carrick bend between shots. On my shrimp gear I have all 25 fathom (150 feet) shots. three shots floating line on the pot end and two shots sinking line on the buoy end, for a total of 750 feet. I use the carrick bend exclusively between all shots. The carrick bend is very easy to tie, comes apart very easy and goes through my Safe-T-Puller block just fine on the fly.

Comment

Sheet Bend

When long lining halibut and black cod we (and everybody else) always used sheet bends, with two wraps, or quick release sheet bends between skates of line. (1800 feet)

Comment

Steve you are a great guy...

Originally posted by potbuilder View Post
                            I've said it once and i'll say it again stay away from those longline clips and caribiners for connecting lines together & attaching pots to your lines they all have a habit of rolling off, learn a few good knots (like a sheet bend) and use them on your gear. Now i'm gonna hear it from all the guys who never have problems with the hardware:rolleyes:.
                            [ATTACH]24962[/ATTACH]
                            Here's a guy that makes his dough selling pots to us guys that lose them and he tries to keep us from doing that, what a fine feller! Yep, I lost 3 last year using someone elses pots with 1 of those those metal clips on the top pot:mad:, the bottom two were Steve's, lost all three when the clip was about to the boat and I could see it had straightened out and away she went...

Got some MORE new pots from Steve at the Fairbanks show and a couple of the new toggles to try, they sure look slick and quick and foolproof
                            Last edited by Cap'n Ron; 04-23-2010, 22:46. Reason: left a coupla words out

Comment

toggles

What is this new toggle?

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X