Brads plug cut is #1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrownBear View Post
    Isn't it funny how no one gets to talk about Brad's Plugs without "help." :rolleyes: The conversation simply can't be left to the folks who like them and want to learn more about use and fine tuning. Wonder why...........
    I'm guilty.

But back to Brad's, I was rigging a couple last night. I'm still wondering what the best option is for scent: should I just put a herring fillet inside, soak the sponge in herring oil, or use some commercial scent?

Comment

I'm not much for scents most of the time, so I haven't tried them. It's a hunk-o-herring for me, and that certainly makes a difference.
      "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
      Merle Haggard

Comment

Isn't it funny how no one gets to talk about Brad's Plugs without "help." :rolleyes: The conversation simply can't be left to the folks who like them and want to learn more about use and fine tuning. Wonder why...........
        Hmmm, I was under the impression that a discussion entailed people adding information that might be helpful to people wanting to learn the best way to catch fish. I was doing that. I have nothing against Brad's Cut Plugs, and was fishing one along with my squid and the squid caught a fish and the Brad's Cut Plug didn't. Just thought people would be interested. Funny how someone always has to chime in when they don't really need to. Some would call that starting a "pissing match".
        Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
        http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Comment

Originally posted by coho slayer View Post
          Mutt, any local places carry these? Don't have time to order any, but would try them if I had them with me on the boat next weekend....
          Not that I know of.

Originally posted by hoose35 View Post
          It's just the way of the forum. I started the discussion about the brads effectiveness on silvers in seward and now we are talking about tsunami squids effectiveness on kings in homer. It's fine though, I think valuable info can be had on SOME of the threads that change courses
          Actually I was talking about silvers as well. I was fishing for salmon and the squid just happened to catch a king instead. If you spend any time at all fishing around Homer you'll know that catching kings at the same time you're catching silvers is not at all uncommon. Just thought people would be interested in their TOTAL effectiveness for any type of salmon. Believe me, if I catch silvers with a Brad's I will certainly post that info as well. I don't have anything against them.

I'm guilty.

But back to Brad's, I was rigging a couple last night. I'm still wondering what the best option is for scent: should I just put a herring fillet inside, soak the sponge in herring oil, or use some commercial scent?
          I like to use a piece of sponge inside of mine and just soak the whole lure with the sponge inside in herring oil.

Comment

I'm not much for scents most of the time, so I haven't tried them. It's a hunk-o-herring for me, and that certainly makes a difference.
            Funny that you chimed in and said that "someone" had taken the conversation away from Brad's, and now here you are saying you use a "chunk-o-herring" which has absolutely nothing to do with the topic.

Comment

Re: Brads plug cut is #1

Originally posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
              Funny that you chimed in and said that "someone" had taken the conversation away from Brad's, and now here you are saying you use a "chunk-o-herring" which has absolutely nothing to do with the topic.
              I think he meant herring inside the Brad's.... at least that's how I took it.

Thanks for the info on the squid. And for some reason I had never thought of dunking the whole Brad's in oil....that makes perfect sense and is easier than opening it up. One of those "duh" moments for me.

Sent on my communicator

Comment

You put a chunk of herring in the opening of the Brads, it has everything to do with the topic
                Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Comment

Originally posted by hoose35 View Post
                  You put a chunk of herring in the opening of the Brads, it has everything to do with the topic
                  Gee, I'm sorry if my misreading what he said caused you any consternation. I thought he meant he uses a chunk-o-herring as bait. If he's using herring in the opening then he's using scent isn't he!? Unless he's using scentless herring.

Comment

Gee, I'm sorry if my misreading what he said caused you any consternation. I thought he meant he uses a chunk-o-herring as bait. If he's using herring in the opening then he's using scent isn't he!? Unless he's using scentless herring.
                    No consternation here, just trying to clarify his post. I have to give you some credit Muttley, you are as persistent as they come.
                    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Comment

Persistent ain't the word...

Comment

I usually use a small piece of herring fillet inside 'em, but I have not fished that alongside brad's with other scents or no scent for comparison.
                        "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Comment

Originally posted by MRFISH View Post
                          I usually use a small piece of herring fillet inside 'em, but I have not fished that alongside brad's with other scents or no scent for comparison.
                          Same here. They definitely work better with the herring than without, and so well in fact that I've never been "inspired" to try any scents. Second thing that happens after ditching the original hook and leader is ditching the scent pad, for me.
                          "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
                          Merle Haggard

Comment

Same here. They definitely work better with the herring than without, and so well in fact that I've never been "inspired" to try any scents. Second thing that happens after ditching the original hook and leader is ditching the scent pad, for me.

A lot of people in oregon - washington will use oil packed tuna for scent and it works good also

Comment

After seeing photos of peoples' succes using Brad's plug cut lures, I decided to give them a try this year. My son and I spent a week chasing silver salmon in Resurrection Bay when the weather allowed. We trolled gear using just banana weights this year. One rod was rigged with a Brad Cut Plug and the other rod was rigged with a double hook hoochie with a plug cut herring. The net result of the side by side comparison, we caught the same amount of fish from each type of setup.

The photographic proof has been included below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	2485368

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0008.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	2485369

My take away from this is the Brad's Plug Cut lure is worth having in the tackle box. I got to admit that I had a dose of sticker shock when I purchased the $9 tray of green label herring. I also want to be able to continue to fish succesfully when I run out of herring part way through the day. So I will carry and use both types of tackle, experimenting to find what is working best for that particular day.

I'm still wondering what the best option is for scent: should I just put a herring fillet inside, soak the sponge in herring oil, or use some commercial scent?
                              I looked at the sponge insert that comes with the Brad's and decided to toss it. I cut up some pieces of oil absorbent pads and soaked them with some Pro Cure bait scents that I have for halibut fishing.

Doug

Comment

A picture is worth a thousand words... blue Hawaiian, right out of the box as rigged, no scent.
                                Attached Files
                                Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
                                http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X