Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A request....Halibut skins?

Anchorage/Valley Guys,

I'm looking for some halibut skins to back some bows (archery) with. If any of you take the time to skin some of the bigger ones, I'd appreciate it if you would keep a few skins for me (brown side). I'm looking for anything over 2'. Just toss 'em in a ziploc and freeze them and I'll swing by asap to pick 'em up.

Thanks in advance!
    AKmud
    sigpic

The porcupine is a peaceful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I'd be interested to know how you process those skins.

Comment

I'll just be scraping any fat/flesh off and drying them (stretched). When we use them, we re-wet them and attach them to the back of the bow with hide glue. The strength of the skins give a lot of insurance to a hand made wood bow.

An example -

AKmud
      sigpic

The porcupine is a peaceful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Comment

If no one offers up any, I'd try to contact fish processors. Those guys use a skinning machine for halibut fillets and can supply you with all you need. Seward, Whittier etc they all have them. A few years ago here in Juneau you could buy wallets and things made with various salmon and halibut skins all pretty cool.

Sobie2

Comment

Taking the boat to Homer this weekend. If we get some I will let you know.
          "Safety does not happen by accident, it's a choice"

Comment

Wow, interesting. Would love to see one of these one day. Good luck on the skins. Hit Seward for the day and probably get more than needed eh.
            Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Comment

Originally posted by tdelarm View Post
              Wow, interesting. Would love to see one of these one day. Good luck on the skins. Hit Seward for the day and probably get more than needed eh.
              Good idea. In fact, I was just there yesterday and probably could have gotten some. I've been down in Seward quite a bit this summer. Next time I'm down I'll stop by the cleaning tables and see if anyone has some decent fish they are cleaning and ask for the skins.

Comment

I appreciate the help guys! I've only seen pictures of completed bows with halibut skin, but I'm excited to give one of my own a try.
                AKmud
                sigpic

Comment

*shameless bump....
                  AKmud
                  sigpic

Comment

Did you get a chance to check the ones you grabbed from me? We have so much stuff in the freezers I'm afraid I may have grabbed the wrong bag.

I already had to save them from my wife once...she was about to make dog treats out of them.

Comment

Originally posted by coho slayer View Post
                      Did you get a chance to check the ones you grabbed from me? We have so much stuff in the freezers I'm afraid I may have grabbed the wrong bag.

I already had to save them from my wife once...she was about to make dog treats out of them.
                      Yes I did, I have them stretched and drying right now. I think I can get a limb out of each of them, thanks again!
                      AKmud
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AKmud View Post
                        Yes I did, I have them stretched and drying right now. I think I can get a limb out of each of them, thanks again!
                        No problem. Hope they work out for you!

I'd be interested in seeing the finished product, too.

Comment

I'd also like to throw out a request for Ling Cod skins now that the season is upon us.
                          AKmud
                          sigpic

Comment

Shameless bump for halibut or ling cod skins.....
                            AKmud
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AKmud View Post
                              Shameless bump for halibut or ling cod skins.....
                              pm sent, i brought you back 2 gallons of skins, need to know if you want me to freeze or not, your choice
                              www.polebendersfishing.com

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X