hook in hand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hook in hand

Had a guy get hooked in the palm of his hand with a owner 5/0 cutting point, how do you remove them? I removed several from my self by taking it out like I do with a fish, we had several ideas on the boat, the guys partner was also hooked on the hand several years earlier, so he advsed his buddy to hook it all the way thru like he did. Once all the way thru we cut the shank. THis seems to be the quickest and best way, any better ideas?
    Attached Files
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKAAG...eature=related

Sent this to my brother a couple of weeks ago.

There are a few different videos on youtube with the same technique. I watched 4-5 of them.

I started looking for them after I saw a guy try to push a hook through the fatty part of his hand.
    He tried and tried and tried and tried.
    Never saw him get it through... ARRRGGHHH! Just thinking about it is painful!
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Comment

A few years ago I took a friends son King fishing, when the boy caught his King I reached into the net to unhook her, she flipped and the Wiggle Wart in her mouth was now attached to her, me and the net. She thrashed for what seemed like forever before she finally calmed down enough for me to work my way free with my left hand. Had several pliers in the boat and nothing would cut the hooks, was able to pull the treble hook out backwards. Keep a pair of bolt cutters on board now.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...Cutter&x=0&y=0

Steve
      "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Comment

"Press & Yank" method is ideal for deeper hooks...

Originally posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post

There are a few different videos on youtube with the same technique. I watched 4-5 of them.

I started looking for them after I saw a guy try to push a hook through the fatty part of his hand.
        Two comments:
        1. The YouTube link sodabiscuit12345 posted is excellent. Scanning a few of the other video clips is good too for examples of ... well, less effective applications...

2. With the Press & Yank method, downward pressure applied at the eye is what enlarges the hole enough to allow the barb to pass backward. Without pressure at the eye, the shank will try to rotate up when you pull, pulling the barb into uninjured soft tissue.

Two caveats from what I've read, both of which are medical emergencies:
        1. Any damage to tendons
        2. Any contact with bone

REF: Wilderness Medicine, Paul S. Auerbach 4th ed, p. 505
        No habitat, no hunter.

Comment

Piercings are in Vogue...leave 'em in!!!
          "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
          ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Comment

From the look of the photo it doesn't even hurt! :shot:

Comment

I think if you are going to push the hook through (like suturing) you should use some antibiotic ointment on the part shaft that has not gone through. (What I have done in the past) and watch out for infection. Puncture wounds are notorious for infections.
              Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Comment

Originally posted by wildog View Post
                I think if you are going to push the hook through (like suturing) you should use some antibiotic ointment on the part shaft that has not gone through. (What I have done in the past) and watch out for infection. Puncture wounds are notorious for infections.
                pushing thru was harder than expected, human flesh is tough!
                Attached Files
                Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
                www.kodiakcombos.com

Comment

Originally posted by kodiakcombo View Post
                  pushing thru was harder than expected, human flesh is tough!
                  There's one justification for alcohol on the boat
                  Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Comment

I have plucked more than one hook out of my flesh. Usually i just grab it with a pliers and pull it straight back out. Also the method Soda posted is GREAT. Unless i am hooked in the eye i will use that method.

Comment

i have a picture in my photo album of the one i got in my finger tip... rode my bike about 3 miles home with a 4" rapala hanging from my finger... chuged a few beers, may have smoked some weed, then passed the hook though.... it was only in just past the barb but as much as i tried short of just ripping it out, it would come out the way it went in... also less painful IMO to just pass it through and cut the barb

Comment

I'm not kidding...

It happened to me on a fishery in Quebec. I was inexperienced, and a northen prike sent a barbed hook almost all the way to the bone in my thumb.

I motored out from the lake. (2 hours)
                        The battery was dead in the loaner truck and so I had to walk out. (2.5 hours)
                        I had to drive to the hospital in a nearby city. (2 hours)
                        I had to register at the hospital. (1 hour)
                        I had to wait for the emergency room doctor. (1.5 hours)

After 9 hours of being stuck, I followed my host's advice of being the Ugly American and raised hell by openly screaming "what in the f**k was going on?" With that, the antechamber door in my waiting room opened and in walked Dr. Tran Lee Fouk.

He didn't speak English and I didn't speak French. All know is that I convinced him to shoot the hell out of my thumb with xylocaine and back that sucker out. I paid $100 more USD for a script of schedule #2 narcotics and got the hell out of there.

I'm not Fouking kidding...

Rosenberg/Florida
                        "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Comment

Originally posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post

I have used this method inthe past with great success.
                          sigpic
                          www.arcticangler.ca
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy_7mPiqoqw&t=11s

Comment

Originally posted by kgpcr View Post
                            I have plucked more than one hook out of my flesh. Usually i just grab it with a pliers and pull it straight back out. Also the method Soda posted is GREAT. Unless i am hooked in the eye i will use that method.
                            Now thats funny!!!

Comment

What I meant was as long as i am not hooked near my eye i will use the method Soda posted or just back it out with a pliers.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X