Are you catching many shrimp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you catching many shrimp?

So how has every one been doing catching shrimp? Most of the folks I've talked to so far have all said the catch rate is WAY down. Just wondering how every body else is doing??

Yup - No shrimp left in PWS - you guys might as well sell yer pots, none left, zip nadda, kapoot.

Comment

Originally posted by whatablast View Post
      So how has every one been doing catching shrimp? Most of the folks I've talked to so far have all said the catch rate is WAY down. Just wondering how every body else is doing??
      My catch rate is down a little. Sporadic is probably a better description.

Comment

Not yet, but it seems just as I was dialing in the area it was time to head home.

The upside is that's a compelling reason to get the boat out more often
        Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Comment

Way down in our usual spots, we didn't do very well.
          Also caught alot more stripes than the nice big ol spots.
          There was a commercial shrimper working the Deep water, Derrickson areas. Thus the area might have been hit hard before we got there....Still was a great weekend on the water. hunting sucked, too many people. Did manage a few nice halibut and yelloweye though.
          BK
          BK Marine Services 232-6399
          Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
          Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
          Www.bkmarineservices.com

Comment

Originally posted by Cutter View Post
            Yup - No shrimp left in PWS - you guys might as well sell yer pots, none left, zip nadda, kapoot.
            I'll buy a couple of those pots, as Cutter lost two of mine when he was out in PWS catching no shrimp on my boat :topjob:
            In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Comment

Still happy with my last two sets. Both in the same place. 3 gallons tails in three pots last set. My spot from last year.

Comment

Correction on the lost pots.....

The warrior lost one, and the boat driver lost the other, I was just the innoncent bystander as usual. Guilty by association.

Comment

I spent 5 days out hunting/shrimping last week. First 3 days were spent around Chenega island, took 3 days to get enough shrimp for a meal for four. Moved to one of my go to spots and got 15 gallons in 2 days. I did notice the stripes seemed to be hanging out about 50 feet shallower than the spots. I was only fishing in 400-500 feet this time instead of my usual 500-700 range. Longest I soaked the pots was about 8 hours overnight. During the day I pulled pots every 3-4 hours.
                  Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
                  Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Comment

50# of tail in 5 pulls

We had poor luck on the oppener but dropped in an area we have never shrimped early. Couple of weekends ago we targeted shrimp in our favorite spot and came home with about 50lbs of tail, the shrimp are there. If we pulled more often than twice a day we probable could have doubled that amount, but there is places to explore and things to do other than pulling shrimp pots.
                    Jay
                    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
                    OurPlayground.

sigpic

Comment

I have noticed that the water temperature is way up this year if that has any affect. It was 41 at the start of the season and the other day 54 degrees in Port Valdez. I had mine pulled because of the Memorial Day invasion of Fairbanks boaters. Will be checking them tonight.

Patriot Life Member NRA
                      Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
                      Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

We're catching 1/3 of our historic catch in the places we have fished previous years. Commercial shrimp boat working our area now too.
                        John
                        www.alaskaadventurejournal.com

Comment

We got better numbers between 600-750 feet. I think warm water drives them down.
                          5 pots got about 2 gal of shimp tails or 7 to 8 gal whole shrimp per pull.
                          Jay
                          07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
                          OurPlayground.

sigpic

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X