Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shrimping depths, do they change during the season?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Shrimping depths, do they change during the season?

    A couple of years ago I borrowed a buddies shrimping setup for a 4th of July trip, and did pretty well. I was dropping between 550 and 450 feet, and it seemed like 500' was the sweet spot. This weekend my first drops were around 400-450 feet and didn't do so well, so I figured I'd try deeper and went 500 and 600 feet. The 500 foot drop was sad, 9 shrimp for 3 pots, the 600 foot drop was nada for both pots. So on the last drop I put all 5 pots on one string, dropped right at 400 feet, and had more shrimp than the previous two drops.

    Curious if earlier in the season the shrimp are shallower, or just I was in a different part of the sound.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

    If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

  • #2
    If you have ever watched Deadliest Catch and noticed the crab migrate around, shrimp move too.

    Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans


    Comment


    • #3
      From what I have been told is that they follow the light. They are shallow in the dark months and move deeper with more ligh in the summer months. I usually drop mine between 380-420 out of whittier all season and do well. I have done good at other depths but it seems more consistant at 380-420. I hope someone else can add some good input on this
      Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by alaskabliss View Post
        From what I have been told is that they follow the light. They are shallow in the dark months and move deeper with more ligh in the summer months. I usually drop mine between 380-420 out of whittier all season and do well. I have done good at other depths but it seems more consistant at 380-420. I hope someone else can add some good input on this
        How much light is there at 400 ft???
        sigpic
        Alaska Shrimp Pots

        Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
        Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
        Ropes, Buoys, Bait
        alaskashrimppots.com
        akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
        907 775 1692

        Comment


        • #5
          Not sure Steve, once again This is something someone had told me. What are your thoughts on the shrimp and movements during the seasons?
          Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by alaskabliss View Post
            Not sure Steve, once again This is something someone had told me. What are your thoughts on the shrimp and movements during the seasons?
            I'm 99.9% sure its pitch black down there. As for movement i think water temp stays just about the same down deep so as long as there is some food and a place to hide i think they stay put. When i lobstered we'd fish on run lobsters, they would follow a depth and contour and walk for 100 miles and the guys south or north of you would be doing the same. I've never seen that here with shrimp and thats why i think they stay put, maybe move a bit deeper or shallower but not too far. Thats for the spot shrimp now those small northern shrimp i think they raise up off the bottom at night.
            sigpic
            Alaska Shrimp Pots

            Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
            Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
            Ropes, Buoys, Bait
            alaskashrimppots.com
            akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
            907 775 1692

            Comment


            • #7
              A friend has seen larg spots on the surface at night time in Kodiak by the mouths of streams, that was in the fall deer hunting.
              Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

              If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by potbuilder View Post
                I'm 99.9% sure its pitch black down there. As for movement i think water temp stays just about the same down deep so as long as there is some food and a place to hide i think they stay put. When i lobstered we'd fish on run lobsters, they would follow a depth and contour and walk for 100 miles and the guys south or north of you would be doing the same. I've never seen that here with shrimp and thats why i think they stay put, maybe move a bit deeper or shallower but not too far. Thats for the spot shrimp now those small northern shrimp i think they raise up off the bottom at night.
                I used to dive quite a bit in SE Alaska. Its pretty dang dark at 100 feet. I'd say I'm 100% sure its pitch dark at 300 feet.
                In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea
                _________________________________________________

                If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

                Comment


                • #9
                  I think the shrimp depths change along with how much water flow the tides are making. They seem to move up and down the underwater structures from 700 ft to 200 ft. Some days you can have a great day catch and poor over night set the a couple of days later the night set is better than the day.

                  Comment

                  Footer Adsense

                  Collapse
                  Working...
                  X